DIY DL & HH DeluxExplorer
    Tarp
    DIY 4seas cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY,UQ&TQ,HHSS,Pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

DIY question on fabric from a wanna be Noob

What materials would you folks recommend for a hammock used in the winter vs. one used in the summer? I see so many different types of fabric used, Breathable, non breathable, waterproof not water proof? Then there is my height and weight to factor on the fabric also, I think? I’m 6’ 250lb

My plan is to construct most of my own equipment cost is also a big factor. I want to make a DL hammock with removable bug netting. I think it’ll be cheaper to by a UQ from DD Hammocks than to make one. Will make tarp from Blackcat tarp instructions. I will is my old sleeping bags for now, but plan on making a TQ latter. I also may construct a travelpod to experiment a little.

Any and all recommendations will be helpful.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have made my hammocks with breathable rip-stop nylon. Very happy with that choice.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Unless you are already outfitted with DIY capabilities (injector, shears etc) it might be cheaper to buy a basic hammock (<$25 from Trek Light/ Grand Trunk/ etal) and a cheap after market add on bugnet. Of the items you listed the hammock is the cheapest. Depending on your requirements a tarp is sometimes more aggravating to make than it is to buy. Again, unless you already have the equipment you can buy a reasonable tarp (depending on what you want) for <$70. As a DIY enthusiast I regard cost savings to be the least reasonable motivation to make your own. I have almost always ended up spending more money making my own than if I purchased a commercial product.

Check into Warbonnet's traveler and add on bug net. I have heard good reports about them. You get the complete kit including suspension (more costly than you might think to make it separately) for a very reasonable price.

Having said all that. Cost issues aside, there are many _good_ reasons to make your own. Satisfaction, special needs, special wants. All those are very good reasons to do your own. But IMO cost savings is an elusive goal unless you already have the equipment, mastered the learning curve and have the design abilities to DIY.

In case you are wondering.... I am a strong supporter of DIY and contribute regularly to these discussions. Just responding to your initial post.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I have made my hammocks with breathable rip-stop nylon. Very happy with that choice.
    Shug
    Shug: You made hammocks with waterproof, breathable rip-stop? I want to do this too and add windproof to the mix. (I'm like a canary--can't STAND drafts!) I'm looking at fabrics and having a hard time figuring out--just by reading about them on the internet--if they'd be appropriate for a hammock. Most sound like they'd be too stretchy. Can you give my any details on the fabric you used? Thanks!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Shug: You made hammocks with waterproof, breathable rip-stop? I want to do this too and add windproof to the mix. (I'm like a canary--can't STAND drafts!) I'm looking at fabrics and having a hard time figuring out--just by reading about them on the internet--if they'd be appropriate for a hammock. Most sound like they'd be too stretchy. Can you give my any details on the fabric you used? Thanks!
    I used this....1.1 Nylon Ripstop

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    It seems to me that most people make their hammocks out of ripstop nylon. The weight found in most fabric shops, like Jo-Ann's, is 1.7oz but they don't identify it as such. Jo-Anns regularly offers 40-50% off, so sign up for their online mailing list to get the coupons. http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...DID=xprd560961

Tree to Tree (Shug's link), Backwoods Daydreamer and some others also offer 1.1oz.
    http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/apps/webstore/

At 250# you could go with a double layer of either 1.1 or 1.7 but you might be towards the upper limit with 1.1 in terms of getting a flat lay. See chart on the Warbonnet site.
    http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/blackbirds.php

Use of waterproof material is not too common though JustJeff did have success with a silnylon one he experimented with.

Pipsissewa - Hammocks made out of most any material are going to be chilly. A pad or some sort of under insulation are needed for anything but the warmest nights.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ &amp; TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    ... Jo-Anns regularly offers 40-50% off, so sign up for their online mailing list to get the coupons. http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...DID=xprd560961
    Sorry to go off topic, but one clue that I have a DIY problem was when I installed the JoAnn app on my phone.

... and now back to our regularly scheduled program
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    i went with the Jo-Ann stuff and i have had no problems. i go 6'2" and 265 lbs
    Hops

• + New Posts