Tarp
    Winter Dream Clone
    Insulation
    Pads & DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!
    Images

Adding Bug Netting to Gathered End Hammock

I have made several Standard Gathered-end hammocks and my son has an Eno Double-Nest.

I would like to mod them to add no-see-um bug netting (got from BWDD!!!).

I have looked at several of the DIY threads and want to see if everyone thinks this would work:

1. Sew GG to one edge of the netting then sew that to a full length zipper. Sew the Zipper to the front side of the hammock (do I need to add another level of GG here between zipper & hammock?).

2. Pin the back side (over the ridgeline) of the bug netting to the back of the hammock (carefully getting in and adjusting to make sure it is not too tight when the hammock is loaded.).

3. Once I have the shape mark it with an extra inch or so then sew GG to that side of the no-see-um.

4. Sew the GG edge to the back side of the hammock.

Possibly add a small zipper section where the pad adjustment opening is in the double layer on the back side.

What does HF think of this???

Thanks for all the advice...this DIY bug is getting bad...

FH

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Speer attaches his net to the hammock edges with omni tape. If you're able, have a look at one.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Here is what I did:
    1) put some stuff in my hammock to simulate a person in it, then draped the bug net over and pinned all the way around.

2) roll hemmed the edge of the bug net at the pinned line while sewing it to the rolled hem of the hammock. mine is a WBBB clone, so the zipper is below the side panel and not directly attached to the bug net. I did not run the ridgeline through the whipping like most folks do, I just left a small gap for it at the end of the bug net. i also did not unwhip to sew the bug net on, like many report doing.

On my next one I will not roll the edge of the bug net or the hammock. Rather I will either join them with a flat felled seam, or I join them by edging the two pieces together with grosgrain.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    <G>
    This is the dangdest place for abreviations

What the heck is GG Granny Gillies <my granny)
    Good grief!!

Great googlie

None of these fit context.

Maybe Gross Grain??

AHA. I think he's got it
    grinder

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=192

Glossary of hammock terms. Just trying to help it was overwhelming for me to at first but I now catch myself doing it in conversation to non hammockers not a good thing, but by asking questions and possibly this link, it'll be better.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I would sew the zipper to a strip of fabric, sew that strip of fabric to the bugnet. That way when you snag the zipper, you don't tear the more fragile bugnet.

The real tricky part of a bugnet is where the gather occurs. In my DIY hammock, I plan on sewing a small triangle shaped piece of ripstop over my ridgeline to cover that gap, and then sew the bugnet in.

My only issue is how to make the bugnet edges look good. I guess a flat-felled seam to the ripstop is probably the best answer.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1 Hennessey Clone.
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Clone
    Insulation
    Pads &amp; DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    Here is what I did:
    1) put some stuff in my hammock to simulate a person in it, then draped the bug net over and pinned all the way around.

2) roll hemmed the edge of the bug net at the pinned line while sewing it to the rolled hem of the hammock. mine is a WBBB clone, so the zipper is below the side panel and not directly attached to the bug net. I did not run the ridgeline through the whipping like most folks do, I just left a small gap for it at the end of the bug net. i also did not unwhip to sew the bug net on, like many report doing.

On my next one I will not roll the edge of the bug net or the hammock. Rather I will either join them with a flat felled seam, or I join them by edging the two pieces together with grosgrain.
    I like the edging w/GG idea - that would be the easiest, especially on the back!

On #2 - are you roll hemming the bug net by wrapping it around the (already) roll-hemmed edge of the hammock fabric? Then stitching another line?

My ridge-line is seperate and runs thru a ring about 6" past the gather so I need to acccount for that somehow.

This project looks like a big trial & error session!!!

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ &amp; TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FontanaHorseman View Post
    On #2 - are you roll hemming the bug net by wrapping it around the (already) roll-hemmed edge of the hammock fabric? Then stitching another line?
    I wish! That would require some sort of forethought and planning.
    I've only put bug netting on one hammock so far, and I used it for a few weeks before adding the bug netting. So I had already roll hemmed the edges of the hammock.

Oh, I've seen folks install a grommet in the end of the bug net for the ridgeline to pass through. Here is one:
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition
    Tarp
    DIY cat
    Insulation
    HH underpad
    Suspension
    HH
    Images

No seeum to hammock

Before I gathered the ends of my hammock, I sewed both ends of the hammock into a tube about 9" long I think, so when I gathered the ends I had an end to sew to. Then I set up the hammock and put some weight in it and made a pattern out of newspapers tapped together. I used Grosegrain on the non-zippered side. I pinched the GG around the netting and the hammock material and did the same for the zipper side. Came out perfect, no strain on the netting and not hanging loosely either.
    "Tents are beneath me."

• + New Posts