Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images

Spring MAHHA at Pine Grove Furnace State Park April 29-May 1

Not ready for spring quite yet but MAHHA 2011 at Pine Grove Furnace State Park is coming!

Mark your calendars .....April 29-May 1 at Pine Grove Furnace State Park. Check out the park here. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...rnace_mini.pdf

The president of the Appalachian Trail Museum, Larry Luxenberg, has coordinated with the PGF park managers to sponsor an educational weekend on hammock style camping with all its related components.
    The details? We have been given two side by side group areas, where good hanging trees abound and use of a pavilion. They have waived all fees for the weekend. Our part is to plan a "program" by March 1 that can be advertised well in advance of the event date. I do plan on taking a donation from those in attendance to be directed to the AT Museum so it can continue with its mission to display artifacts of the AT and educate about the trail.

This is a call for ideas. Imagine what fun we could have doing what we love to do. I can see several scattered locations throughout the park, each one demonstrating something pertaining to hammock camping. Here's a few ideas:
    Various hammocks, setup and ready, for the public to test out. Various tarps in different configurations. Various suspensions. How to stay warm with various insulation systems. Gear storage ideas, tips and tricks, and packing ideas. I see someone dealing with food. Freezer bag cooking would be interesting. How about alky stove making, caldera cone making, and whoopie sling making and use. Does this prime the pump for you? How about a panel discussion on the advantages of hammock camping?
    Do any of these whet your appetite? It is going to take many of us to produce a good program. With the diversity in our group, that really should be no problem.

Here's what I need you to do. Banter on the forum about ideas for the program...we are good at that. If you are ready to commit to helping out in some capacity that weekend, speak up and I'll maintain a list of who and what. Feel free to PM me with questions or suggestions.

An attendance poll will follow so as to get a head count of possible attendees from our group. I plan on visiting some local BSA troops and hiking clubs once the advertising piece is produced.

ZQ is planning on reserving a camping site in the "ground dwellers camping area" of the park. She's hoping some other non hanging wives may want to join her for the weekend.

This could be the start of a great relationship with Pine Grove Furnace for future MAHHA gatherings. Hope to see many there.
    Tim -(2Questions)
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    That's exciting 2Questions!!!
    I'm sure you'll be getting lots of great ideas but one thing that popped out as I read your visions was that demonstrating tarp configurations would be very helpful, even comforting to a lot of folks new to hammocks.

I see a practical demonstration of tarps being side by side (or very close), w/ hammocks under them (but these hammocks would not be the primary focus of here) so folks can see the various coverage from both different tarp styles & different ways of hanging them (storm mode, fair weather mode, etc).

I sure hope to make it to this hang! I've wanted to go to the MAHHA but it just hasn't worked out yet. But.... if the Lord's willin, & the creek don't rise, & the ol buck board holds together, I'll be there
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    That's awesome cant wait ill be their for sure. Tell ZQ to get a ground dwelling site for my wife she should be their as well. I would love to help out. I have numerous quilts and pads for all seasons so Id love to possibly talk about quilts. I will also have a cuben, and a silnylon tarp if we get a spin that covers that. OOOHHH so xited must contain oneself . Just let me know what's needed and I'm happy to help out in every and any way I can. Are we still going to have a BBQ and raffle?. Thanks Tim for setting this all up and getting the ball rolling.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Images
    I will be there, and willing to help in what ever capacity needed. Just drinking my morning wake up, so I'll try to think of a few ideas later.

I have a HH Expedition Zip with whoopie slings and original HH tarp I could donate for a raffle. It came with the buy one get one deal this Christmas, and I'm not using it. I put whoopie slings on it just for fun, but I'm too tall for this hammock. Instead of money, I could host a "set up" competition. Visitors could set the hammock up, with the fastest being the over all winner. Maybe set an age limit for under 18 or something. Folks would get to see how easy it is to hang a hammock, and the particulars of doing so.

ZQ - my wife will be joining you in the tent area.
    Last edited by Joey; 02-03-2011 at 09:18.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DOUBLE
    Tarp
    WB SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    IN SEARCH OF!
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    Images
    I am going to put it on my list. I will help how I can but I am a rookie hanger. But a longtime outdoorsman.
    Tony a.k.a. bugman0914

Not sure if I can attend or not, will know hopefully know in the next month or so!
    But otherwise it looks like it will be a fantastic time, big thanks to 2Q for organizing this!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    9X11 DIY Syl
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    Gitty-up!!! I'm there and willing to help out any way possible.

Hopefully I can convince my wife to join to non-hangers. I also may bring some other grounders in hope of converting them.

question: Is there power? Perhaps a DIY "tutorial" of a basic gathered end hammock and then have it put in the raffle? or some such thing.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Got it on my calendar and will be thinking of ways to participate ! ! Looking forward to experiencing a new location for the MAHHA and I'm so grateful that 2Q volunteered to take charge of this one!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I'm gonna try. Flamingo probably won't be there... but then again, I've been surprised before.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Is this hang going to take the place of the Gathland SP MAHHA hang? Or are there going to be two? Not to side track this great event but I thought that the Spring MAHHA was to take place the 3rd weekend in April?
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast