New idea for hanging

Hi guys,

I've been a member here for quite some time to get ideas, but never asked any questions or gave any input. But lately I've been thinking about a new idea for hanging a hammock, and was wondering what you guys think and if it would work or not.

I have a ENO doublenest, but any gathered end hammock with a sewn channel would apply. I've removed the stock rope and biners and ran 1" webbing through the channel and then did a larkshead. The other end of the webbing has a sewn loop with a biner that goes around the tree and clips back onto the webbing.

My question is this, assuming I can find the trees and have long enough webbing, what would happen if I undid the larkshead at both ends and connected each end of the webbing to a seperate tree (ie, 4 connection points)? is it worth even trying? is there any possible way to get a flat lay doing this?

Thanks for any input.

edit: would the stitching on the channel tear in the corners?
    Last edited by zielkeda; 02-02-2011 at 22:00.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Possible? Maybe. Desirable? Doubt it.

If the webbing is just threaded through the channel, the fabric will slide to the lowest point, giving you, basically the same thing as you'd have with 2 attachment points, only the fabric wouldn't be bunched so tight, so it would probably have tighter sides than normal.

Now if you were to fix the webbing to the 4 corners of the fabric, you'd be changing something. I'm sure you could get this arrangement to lay "flat". I believe you'd have something that resembled a bridge hammock with really floppy sides.

I see that 4 attachment points would give you better stability. Are you seeing other possible benefits that I may not be seeing??
    ~Bryan

I see what you're saying about just bunching together. I have just messed around with this a little indoors so far, hoping to get out this weekend and actually try it. I wonder if I could tension the webbing tight enough to keep it from sliding to the center.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    4 points may eliminate the long sway you get when you have a lot of suspension between the hammock and the tree. If the channel is bunched up enough to not move along the webbing the swaying will be small and quick as if the hammock were attched directly to the tree. Just a guess though.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Interesting idea. Post some pics of your test hangs. I'd like to see it in action!

I'm curious about your perceptions of the "ease of use" factor, too.

I will try to post pics, or at least let you know how it works. I'm not so concerned about ease of use, rather just trying something new with what I've got. I guess I'll just have to find out.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by zielkeda View Post
    I wonder if I could tension the webbing tight enough to keep it from sliding to the center.
    The amount of tension required for the webbing to resist such a significant lateral force like that of a hammock scares me. I don't want to be discouraging , but please use caution if you actually attempt this. I wouldn't want you getting hurt trying something with so little that is perceived to be gained.
    ~Bryan

Well I did some experimenting with this set up today.

First of all, and probably predictably, finding the perfect trees for this is near impossible. I was definitely worried about the crazy angular forces on the webbing and sewn channel, but they held. When I finally did get it to work it was pretty cool. The webbing has to be nearly perpendicular to the long side of the hammock at both ends to keep the hammock spread open. The key was to have as little sag as possible, so I needed two sets of trees separated by nearly the exact length of my hammock. Once I had the right spot, set up took about three times longer than normal. But once I had it dialed in, it was super comfortable, absolutely no shoulder squeeze, perfectly flat lay on a slight diagonal, laying on my back, side, or stomach.

All in all it was fun experimenting with, but will probably never be practical unless I see 4 trees in a perfect rectangle with just the right spacing

Hammock
    BMBH, GT single para
    Tarp
    WB mamajamba
    Insulation
    walmart 40f bag UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie>togg>strap
    Images
    ahem.... respectfully, pics or it did not happen
    ...in it for pics.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    I would think this would put a lot of strain on the seams of the channel. My fear would be a catastrophic failure after a try or two or four. I would think the straps should be fine.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

• + New Posts