Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I use a variety of sleeping bags depending on the temps and forecast.
    After trying numerous pads and inflatable mattresses, I am down to two mattresses I use on a regular basis.
    UQs may be good, but for me I have no desire or intention to get one. An appropiate bag and pad or mattress is fine for me.
    As mentioned in another thread I am on blood thinners also,Warfarin, and cold temps can eat my lunch. Even with that crap in my system I have comfortably slept in 18 degrees, on purpose with warm clothes, a cold weather bag and a self-inflating pad.For me I think a Uq and Tq would be past my attention span.
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    FYI

Army surplus stores should have the OD green army issue pads both new and "experienced" for sale fairly cheap. My understanding is that the Army has gone to an OD green Thermarest inflatable job and the old ccf pads are to be found.

Hammock
    WBBB!,bias ww BMBH, DIY
    Tarp
    JRB, GG cuben twin
    Insulation
    tewa Mt.3. GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Amstel
    Images
    I have used a ridgerest and blue ccf doubled down to 19 degrees with a 20 degree bag and slept like a baby. I am a pretty hot sleeper. (not like im sexy to watch sleeping as in temp.)

Images
    Assuming this thread isn't dead :-P

I just bought a nice tent and was going to save up for a hammock "as well", but on my last trip the tent-to-hammock setup location ratio was just ridiculous. Every 5 seconds I could find a suitable hammock hanging spot and we found ONE tent location the entire trip that barely fit both our 1-person UL tents! This seems to reflect the last few hikes I've done as well.

Anyhow, so I think I'm going to return the tent and get the HH backpacker I was going to save up for instead. I had been discussing this in another thread, but thought I'd ask some questions in this pad related thread as it is more specific to my questions.

First, I already own a green ridgerest CCF pad and a 30-degree synthetic sleeping bag. My hope is that I can purchase the hammock and be done for now. I'm not worried about comfort between UQ vs. pads or anything. I've laid in my cheap hammock on my ridgerest pad and found it worked well. I haven't had a chance to sleep test it though due to no bug prevention system. Eww.

So assuming I'm always on my pad or add more pad or something under my feet shoulders, etc. so I'm not touching the hammock, what temperature should the sleeping bag get me down to? I realize everyone is different, but any general range? Some people in this thread say they only use the pad and get down to 50 or lower. Is that WITHOUT a sleeping bag?

This is only for 3 season camping at a temp range probably no lower than (20-30 at the worst perhaps?).
    Last edited by luisdent; 07-07-2011 at 23:37.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post
    Oware pad (similar to GG); 40 X 60 X ¼" (newer ones are 3/16"), 7oz, was good to low 20's with my system (key word). Last time I looked it was $24.

FB

your "system"?? do tell!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123