Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Handicap hanging

I was wondering which hammock is the easiest to get out of. I only have partial feeling on my left side and it's hard for me to get out without having a way to pull myself up/out. Saturday morning I ended up swinging until I rolled out and hit the ground and there are alot of rocks and cactus around here. I'm sure my blue pad and the cold didn't help my body but I don't want to get an UQ yet till I know a hammock is for me.

I gave up long distance hiking because I could'nt get up off the ground, my last time in a tent it took me 12 hrs to walk 4 miles back to the trail head.
    I really want this hammock thing to work out.
    Thanks for any ideas,
    Tim
    "Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Some with mobility issues find that the bottom entry of the HH makes all the difference.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    yes; you put your feet thru the opening, and you are suddenly sitting up, then you just stand up from that, and all you have to worry about is getting the hammock off your head...like pulling off an anorak, pretty much..
    there are some videos on the HH site (and Youtube?)that show the procedure.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Forum member Ramblinrev has mobility issues and swears by the Hennessy Hammocks with bottom entry. I own a couple and can see why they're a great choice if you have certain limitations (or even if you don't).

If you check out the HH's, take note that the Explorer is larger than the Expedition and many people find it more comfortable even if they are within the Expedition's size limits.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    If you check out the HH's, take note that the Explorer is larger than the Expedition and many people find it more comfortable even if they are within the Expedition's size limits.
    I had an Expedition for a couple of years and I found it a bit tight but I persevered with it. I'm only 5' 10" and felt it could have done with another foot at least.

The bottom entry should be a good solution for you though, would a big old single skin slung nice and low be another option ? Maybe just sitting back into it like a chair and then lift your legs up and swing round a bit.

I really hope you find something that works for you as it's sounds like it's letting you get back out there again, and that's got to be a good thing.

Maybe try and get along to a meet up and see if you can try a few out and see which works best, you'll get nothing but help and sound advice for sure.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Congrats on the perseverance. Hope you find a solution that works and keeps you outdoors.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    I agree with the HH recommendation. It easy to get in and out of. A bit more hassle dealing with the added bulk of winter clothes, bag, etc. getting everything lined up after gettting in.

A couple recommendations for side entry:
    1) Make sure and setup low enough that your feet comfortably touch when you are fully sitting in your hammock. When getting out, simple walk your feet backwards until your feet are under you. The hammock swings up basically lifting you up to a standing position.

2) A ridgeline give you something to grab onto and helps stablize you. True in the HH as well.

3) If you can setup with a tree near to the side, you may be able to tie a line high up that could be used to assist in pulling you out of the hammock, if that makes sense.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I did a video on Hammock Camping a Disabilities. In that vid I talk about my approach to hammock camping with mobility issues. It's in the vid section.

I can not get out of any other hammock other than HH except for a Bridge. You might want to try that option as well. The only way I have been able to get out of a top/side loader has been to string an assist rope between supports.

I strongly encourage the HH bottom entry for anyone who has mobility impairments. HH has since come out with a side zip w/o the bottom entry. Be sure you order the proper style. If you want the best of both worlds, order the bottom entry and ship it to 2Q/ZQ for their zip mods.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Thanks Rev,

I watched the video but I don't see much difference between the Hennessy and the Blackbird in the entry. REI carrys the Hennessy and they are only 4 hours away. I'll see if they can set it up in the store so I can try it.

Which model should I look at? I want to stay light.

Thanks,

Tim
    "Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.9 ripstop
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    The black bird and Hennessey both sell a side entry hammock. Rev is talking about the original bottom entry. The only model I see that does not offer the bottom entry is the deep jungle. They say in the title zip for the side zip models.
    I blame all grammatical errors on the iPhone

See my Completed DIY's
    Karo Under Quilt Adventure

DIY Mummy UQ (a how to)

Full Time since Dec '11

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast