Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY tarp suggestions

OK, I've made my hammock following Knotty's gathered end instructions. I'm pretty happy with the results. I'd post a pic, but I don't think my suspension is quite up to hammock forum standards. I'd like some help about making a tarp. I don't think I need anything with doors, I don't plan on any cold weather hammocking. And I don't think I'm skilled enough of a sewer (gear maker) to make those fancy cat cuts.

Thanks,

JEBjr

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here you go! The BlackCat Tarp
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Thanks. This Black Bishop fella has some pretty detailed instructions. That is a **** good looking tarp. But it may be above my skill level.

JEBjr

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Hi JEBjr,
    Congrats on your hammock!
    I agree that the BlackCat instructions can be a bit intimidating.

How about this:
    http://gear-report.com/how-to-make-a...ock-tarp-myog/

I've made 2 tarps, so far. Lots of long seams, but one of the simpler projects you'll see around here.
    IMHO, the key is in figuring out how to roll, fold, or otherwise bundle the big pieces of cloth as you work with them. Otherwise, it is WAY too much material to manage and pass gracefully through the thread injector.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JEBjr View Post
    OK, I've made my hammock following Knotty's gathered end instructions. I'm pretty happy with the results. I'd post a pic, but I don't think my suspension is quite up to hammock forum standards. I'd like some help about making a tarp. I don't think I need anything with doors, I don't plan on any cold weather hammocking. And I don't think I'm skilled enough of a sewer (gear maker) to make those fancy cat cuts.

Thanks,

JEBjr
    Wait!?!? There are standards? When were these set in place? Did I miss something? The only standard I was aware of is "Pics or it didn't happen!"

The Black Cat tarp is like trying to read an entire Doctoral dissertation on a subject you have no knowledge in one sitting. It is really simplicity itself if you print the instructions out, ignore the math theory in the beginning, and follow the directions one step at a time while actually working with the fabric. I assure you, it is no farther above your skill level than any other tarp would be. Once you have made one to the printed size specs, the math will make some sense. But by then you will know that the only people who really care about the theory of the math are the resident quants. For the vast majority of us, it is as simple as making the cat cut you want to try and stitching it up. It is a superb pattern for a very worthwhile project. Just take your time and practice the basics on scrap.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Clark NA200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 DLX/7 UL
    Suspension
    Stock Clark

Thanks,

JEBjr
    He must not have watched Shug's video yet... one view and you want to strap on some snowshoes and pluck icicles out of your nose hairs!!

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    OK, slightly off topic, but I keep reading about "thread injectors". I grew up in a sewing household, but this is a new one to me... is it perhaps a sewing machine viewed through "testosterone goggles"? I've got access to several, if that's what it is... or is it more like a surger? (the impact driver of sewing machines)
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by body942 View Post
    I keep reading about "thread injectors". I grew up in a sewing household, but this is a new one to me... is it perhaps a sewing machine viewed through "testosterone goggles"? I've got access to several, if that's what it is... or is it more like a surger? (the impact driver of sewing machines)
    Well, I guess you could call a TI a "sewing machine" if you want to.
    Your "testosterone googles" speculation was right on the money.

We probably should come up with a better term for a Serger.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Senior Member Cold Butt Stephen's Avatar
    Hammock
    SL 1.1 oz DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Frankenpad
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks. This Black Bishop fella has some pretty detailed instructions. That is a **** good looking tarp. But it may be above my skill level.

JEBjr
    I think that the easiest way to drop the skill level on a DIY tarp is to make one without caternary cuts. If you do that, it's really only a matter of cutting the shape you want, making one seam, hemming the edges and then adding tie-outs.

Quote Originally Posted by body942 View Post
    OK, slightly off topic, but I keep reading about "thread injectors". I grew up in a sewing household, but this is a new one to me... is it perhaps a sewing machine viewed through "testosterone goggles"? I've got access to several, if that's what it is... or is it more like a surger? (the impact driver of sewing machines)
    "Thread injector" is just what people jokingly call sewing machines here (prevents emasculation). You should be able to use a normal machine and won't need the impact driver of sewing machines.
    ------------------------------------------------------

CBS (Cold Butt Stephen)

Thanks everyone. I will study that black bishop thesis some more. That is a beautiful tarp. I think I will make a simpler tarp before tacking that Black Bishop one.

Thread injecting, I like that.

I have definitely seen all of Shug's videos. I am not tough or crazy enough to camp in weather like that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast