Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    guys thanks a lot for a great weekend. yous put a lot effort in to it and it showed.
    kaia and i are still recovering from hike it. not my brightest idea, but i'm not known for bright ideas. i think everyone was warmer the second night even though it was 12 degrees. can't wait till next year.
    Are you sure some of that recovery isn't due to pushing around massive snowballs for the snowman with the kids??? You were like Kid #3

Yours Truly,

Kid #4

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Xexorz's not so bright quote of the weekend "He was looking like he was bored so I figured I'd hit him with a snowball."

Welcome to WW3 with my kids.

They had a blast, as I did. Nice part was I didn't have to get in on the snowball fights.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    wbbb 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, uq
    Suspension
    whoopies, toggles
    Images
    I really had a great time. This was my first group hang and I was so excited to be in the Pine Barrens in the middle of winter with all of you.

Hard to believe I slept chilled at 24* and warm at 12* or that I had to cinch my UQ that tight [thx LRR]. Loved the Coup de gras de grub [love the name!], the raffle was fun and really appreciated that warm fire. Also noticed the beautiful star-filled sky Friday after mistaking my wind undersheet for my hammock, and nope, wasn't the GD.

Iafte & crew - you're great hosts. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience, creativity and good will. Can't wait to do it again - only thing I'd do different is arrive much earlier and more rested cause I missed some stuff [while sacked out in the hammock] and the time went by too fast!

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gates View Post
    I really had a great time. This was my first group hang and I was so excited to be in the Pine Barrens in the middle of winter with all of you.

Hard to believe I slept chilled at 24* and warm at 12* or that I had to cinch my UQ that tight [thx LRR]. Loved the Coup de gras de grub [love the name!], the raffle was fun and really appreciated that warm fire. Also noticed the beautiful star-filled sky Friday after mistaking my wind undersheet for my hammock, and nope, wasn't the GD.

Iafte & crew - you're great hosts. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience, creativity and good will. Can't wait to do it again - only thing I'd do different is arrive much earlier and more rested cause I missed some stuff [while sacked out in the hammock] and the time went by too fast!
    I'm glad you made it out and LRR was able to help with your UQ issues. Yes, the weekend went by way to fast. Maybe next year we do it for a week! hehe

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    A lot has been said about this trip but since this is my first group hang, here's my version (apologies for the length).

I got to the road leading to the campsite at about 7 on Friday and after getting stuck in the snow I actually made it to camp around 7:30. A real big thanks to jhunt87, XerxoZ, Iafte, LRR and Gates for pushing my car out of the snow. Pulling up to the site all the members raised hands high and I waived back. I let them know who I was and I'm pretty sure I heard one of them say, "If his teeth actually are as big as his avatar, he can't stay." They're not. I stayed.

I was promptly given the tour of the kitchen area along with the cooler, the under-construction igloo as well as the snowfa and lovesleet. Jersey stylin'!

I got my equipment set up and I began to get nervous about my first full night in a hammock at these temps. I spent some time preparing for this trip with several back yard hangs but never a full overnight. Another big thanks goes out to silentorpheus for lending me his DIY UQ - a very nice Climashield version that kept me toasty. I only got up once in the middle of the night for nature's call but other than that, I slept very well.

Saturday brought a nice sunrise through the still snow-covered pines and it was a beautiful sight. Several folks went on a hike to the memorial but I decided to stay behind and get my setup dialed in - adjust suspension, tighten up the UQ and secure my tarp for "winter mode". Everyone returned and I heard about a snowball fight of epic proportions. I think this was the impetus for Iafte's kids (Kayak Karl included) to begin building the snowman. It went up in no time and was soon wielding a machete. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Next it was dueling stoves amongst several members. There really wasn't a duel but everyone just showing off cool gear. There was a Bushbuddy, a DIY Bushbuddy, a Vargo titanium hexagon and a choke hazard stove... Everyone kind of mulled around waiting for the event of the evening, the Coupe de Grace de Grub. Kudos to everyone who brought some great grub but especially to oh-no for his award-winning chili. Even as a vegetarian, I tried the chili and it was fantastic.

Many stories broke out over a roaring fire and the laughter just kept on coming. Seeing Iafte napping around the fire and being poked with a stick along with stories of Joe will both haunt and delight me for quite some time. jhunt87 was kind enough to let me try his spare hammock, a WBBB. Not sure if it was the 1.0, 1.1 or or 1.7 but I do know that I slept like a rock. I had reservations about the footbox only being on one side because I alternate during the night in my gathered-end hammock and I really didn't understand what all the buzz about the WBBB. However, after having spent the night in the WBBB, I now hate Brandon because along with other great cottage shops here, he's going to get some of my money. I also tried the hot water bottle trick and it worked like a charm. Again, I only got up once for mother nature but other than that, slept very well. Too well... **** WBBB!

Sunday was get up, clean up and get out time. I was a little saddened by all the friendly faces that would soon be leaving but the memories of my first group hang and all the great people I met will always be with me.

Thanks again to Iafte, Stick and Stalker for hosting and setting up/tearing down. This was my first group hang but guaranteed not to be my last.
    Last edited by Syb; 02-01-2011 at 07:23.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iafte View Post
    Good thing you didn't, the King snowman was looking for you.
    Yea, I saw that, gave me nightmares!!!

When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Glad you had a good time Syb. Will gladly have you back next year.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post

Left to right:
    Gates,Kayak Karl, Iafte, Maple(kneeling), silentorpheus,Oh-No, jhunt87(kneeling),Syb, Iafte Son #1, Snow King, Stick, Stalker(kneeling),Feather Hawk(Is#2),Dylan, Xexorz(kneeling), BugHunter(just his head), Jloden,Jersey Bearz #1, Jersey Bears #2, Lazy River Road(kneeling), Paul, Nox2825

Let me know if I got anyone wrong. So we had 21 instead of the 23 we thought. Well, 22 if you count the snowman, and 23 if you count Kaia.

Images

edited it a bit.

just brightened. i didn't photoshop Syb

will e-mail original 3.06 Mb. too large to upload
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    1.7 SL WBTraveler
    Tarp
    HG 4-season Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow and Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Great time.
    Great place.
    Great people.

I got in to camp late Friday afternoon with enough daylight to get all set up before sunset. The drive in from the road was challenging, and the BIG puddle was a heart stopper. Luckily the path was all clear of stuck vehicles for my pass and my old Subie performed like a champ.

I slept really well with my new MMG hammock sock without SEEP below and my Arrowhead BBO above. I also had my 3-season Hammock Gear quilts and I stuck a doubled over poncho liner free-floating between the sock and my UQ. I was warm down to Saturday night's low (14, 13, or 12 depending on who you ask ).

Saturday's dinner was awesome; I pigged out big time. This was such a great weekend. The only bummer was none of the great HF vidographers were present to document the great time and great gear. I'm inching closer to a bigger winter tarp.

Oh yeah, one more thing, you all have to try Xexorz's wife's Carrot Cake tea (actually a rooibos). It's really like drinking hot liquid carrot cake!
    Last edited by Dylan; 01-31-2011 at 21:27. Reason: Add link to rooibos
    - Dylan

“You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the 'present.'”
    ― Master Oogway

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast