PapaSmurf Dangerbird
    Tarp
    MacCat DLX
    Insulation
    Sunshine
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm about to pick up a Switchback myself. It's great to hear such a enthusiastic review of it.

Would you mind elaborating on why the net is a pain? The ability to get it hung up out of the way when a net is un-needed is one of the major draws for me.
    At sea, I learned how little a person needs, not how much.

– Robin Lee Graham

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    calf ridge issue
    In a Warbonnet? I've got 3 BlackBirds and a Traveler...never had this experience...last time I had it was in an HH Backpacker A-sym.

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    In a Warbonnet? I've got 3 BlackBirds and a Traveler...never had this experience...last time I had it was in an HH Backpacker A-sym.
    Don't want to hijack the thread... am interested in info on the switchback, but yes, wife and I both get the calf ridge in all three WBBBs we have - 1.0 dbl, 1.1 dbl, and 1.9 dbl. Tweaking the hang can work most if it out, but it's always there.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Don't want to hijack the thread... am interested in info on the switchback, but yes, wife and I both get the calf ridge in all three WBBBs we have - 1.0 dbl, 1.1 dbl, and 1.9 dbl. Tweaking the hang can work most if it out, but it's always there.

The calf-ridge is always present on a Blackbird for me, as well. Doesn't matter how I hang it. It's what prompted me to ask Mike about it earlier in this thread.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Hey Mike,

I'm thinking about grabbing a Switchback to see how it compares to the WBBB.

My chief complaint with the BB is the whole calf ridge issue. If I hang the hammock super loose, I can get rid of most of the ridge, but never all. How does the Switchback compare regarding the calf ridge?

Would love any input on your comparisons of the two. Thanks for sharing!

Shane
    Shane, for me the Switchback simply has a flatter lay than my WBBB, including calf ridge.
    I do think that hammocks are like shoes: what fits one doesn't necessarily fit the other. Some people pronate in shoes, some sleep on their side in a hammock, etc. So, different people feel different things about the same hammock.
    However, when I tried one at the Florida hang, I wasn't the only WBBB user that was impressed with the Switchback.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryNomad View Post
    I'm about to pick up a Switchback myself. It's great to hear such a enthusiastic review of it.

Would you mind elaborating on why the net is a pain? The ability to get it hung up out of the way when a net is un-needed is one of the major draws for me.
    Maybe I used too strong a word for the netting. I'm used to the WBBB where you don't do anything to the netting, it's just there when you deploy the hammock.

The Switchback netting needs to be suspended. I've been tying it to the tie-outs on the tarp ridgeline. Then, if you want to take full advantage of the space, the two arrowshafts need to be threaded through each end of the netting.

Not really a pain, just more work.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

My chief complaint with the BB is the whole calf ridge issue.
    I have a WBBB, WB Traveler, HH Explorer Deluxe Zip, TTTM double and a Mosquito Jungle Hammock.
    There seems to be a calf ridge issue with all of them. Though it does not bother me. I just smooth the ridge by moving a foot over it and thereby moving some hammock fabric.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    I was going to ask about the PITA comment ref the netting and I see that you were referring to the additional steps...but to me that is what makes the SB so outstanding...with the net spread out, the inside feels cavernous.

Mike, I think that an additional velcro patch further down would help as twice I've accidentally tried to climb in between the layers...sandy sandwich!!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Instead of the netting lines running to a tree...couldn't they just run to the tarp ridgeline??? Of course, this would mean having to deploy a tarp each time. I like to go without a tarp when the weather allows.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Instead of the netting lines running to a tree...couldn't they just run to the tarp ridgeline??? Of course, this would mean having to deploy a tarp each time. I like to go without a tarp when the weather allows.
    Definitely they can run to the tarp ridgeline. I tie mine directly to the ring at the end of the tarp; that way, the lines holding the net are protected under the tarp and won't drip rain water into the hammock.

I have two tarps, a large one when rain is expected, and a minimal one when fair weather is expected. But, I always deploy the tarps, no matter what, but leave them in their snakeskins. Until needed. So, my tarp ridgeline is always there.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast