Insultex Questions?

Hey guys, I'v been searching the forums and decided it would be easier to just ask my questions instead. I often do trips where getting wet is unavoidable, so I'd like to try some Insultex quilts.

What temperature rating can you expect from a single layer of insultex? double layer?

Where is the best place to get insultex?

Any tips for using Insultex?

Thanks y'all for all the help.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I made an IX top quilt back in the summer, and wasn't thinking, and threw it in the bottom of my kayak for my first water backpacking trip, thinking it wouldn't get wet. Well, I forgot to plug my drain hole on the back deck, and it got wet with sea water. Held it in front of a smallish camp fire for 10 minutes, and it was dry. It's 2 layers of IX.
    As far as I know, the only place to get IX is Tree to Tree Trail Gear. Darby and SmithOBX are great guys.
    If you're gonna make an under quilt, there's a very informative sticky at the top of the DIY section all about IX UQs. For top quilts, some think the differential cut is unnecessary. I think it can't hurt to have a little bit. Maybe pleat the inner layer. Anything to give it that air gap that makes it so effective.

Best of luck, and post pictures!
    PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Excellent, this is just what I wanted to hear. I sometimes go camping on some islands that are off the coast of Mississippi. Every now and then we get 100% humidity when it's not raining. On nights like this, it doesn't matter what you have over your head, you are going to be wet (twss).

Thanks for the heads up on where to buy the fabric. The price seems reasonable. I'm about to attempt my first DIY hammock this week so hopefully I'll get to do the quilt in a few weeks and post some pics then.

Also, if you had to guess, what temperature rating would you give to one and two layers of insultex?

Thanks,

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I'm a fairly warm sleeper, and 2 layers of IX on top got me to just above freezing comfortably. I could probably survive at 25 if I had to. If my outer layer was more windproof, it might go a smidge lower. I have no data on a single layer of IX, but I seem to remember a few people saying 45 or something like that.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

• + New Posts