Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    YEH!!! This is what I want to do!! Gotta cut all those stupid saplings down in the yard anyways...
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    DIY 1.5S
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamba
    Insulation
    EE Revel., HG Inc.
    Suspension
    Hoverboard System
    Images
    Read as much of this as I could before my eyes started glazing over. Where are you all sourcing your bamboo? Is there a particular type and diameter I should look for? Just moved to Utah from California and I'm not sure what options I have around here.

Where do you get dow rods that large?

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    It’s only been ten years since this thread had been started and I’m only now getting around to building these? Ha! Interesting concept that has sure taken off! I built two now in week. One from 2x4s that I made into 2x2s that have the tops angle cut to press against each other so no anti leg spreader lines are needed. This is my full sized model for camping on the beach but does fit on the back of my sea kayak. Parts are 6’9” long and the ridge pole is long enough for my tarp. My second is a bamboo model and shorter and lighter specifically built to watch SpaceX Starship launches at Boca Chica Texas and I’m now ready for SN9! I still want to make an ever smaller and lighter model and do one out of aluminum tubing.
    Now if I can figure out how to attach photos using my iPhone......
    A1F05939-DD0A-4CC4-8A08-8580ED6E5509.jpg
    A1F05939-DD0A-4CC4-8A08-8580ED6E5509.jpg
    E3DAF863-31B4-4610-AB15-39926E7CA63D.jpg
    FDA2ADEE-D479-4D5C-9FEF-3FBA93D76D46.jpgE80B54EF-BFFA-40CC-A1DA-81187234423D.jpg
    333D5AA1-AA91-42DA-ADFA-DACF890E090A.jpg
    C954960E-7561-4D0E-87F3-19A7DC030089.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by turtlelady View Post
    My portable hammock stand is still in development mode. It is made with low tech skills and cheap materials. It is lightweight and small in mass. Here are some photos of it in use in the last few months.

It is made from locally harvested bamboo in Kentucky. The poles are 3/4 - 1" in diameter and up to 66" long. They were not "properly" cured. Two of the first ones I used split most of their length. I taped them and they continued to function until I replaced them. Now I taped the ends of all the poles pre-emptively. So far they have not split.

The tripods are made with simple lashing. A chain link fence top rail has been cut into three pieces to make the ridgeline, using one connector piece. The top rail was a dinged one, and cost just under $5.00. The connector was $1.88. The ridgeline rail hangs from the lashings with a cord loop.

A prussic knot and toggle are used to connect the hammock to the top rail, not the tripods. This makes a compressive force that holds the sections together. The tripods each hold only 1/2 my weight with a downward force.

Limiter cords are connected to the lower part of the tripod legs to limit their spread. A shock cord is taped midway down one leg of each tripod with a shower curtain ring to draw up the limiter cords under tension when the legs are gathered closed for bundling, to prevent tangling. 4" squares of rubber shelf liner stuff under the legs protects smooth wood, laminate or tile floors and helps stablize them.

The bundle of six bamboo poles and top rail weighs 15 pounds and is 5" in diameter.

I am 5' 8" tall and weigh 185 lbs. This stand system has not dropped me yet. It is fairly low to the ground. I lower my self gently into it, gingerly testing the system each time. It feels amazingly stable once it is weighted.

I welcome your questions and suggestions for evolution.

The photos show the stand in actual situations where I have set up for overnight stays without moving any furniture ( other than a floor lamp once so that I could read without using my headlamp.) The tripod legs fit in among and over stuff amazingly well.

BTW -- the photos show Mac's IX 5-in-1 Jerry chair underquilt with cordura shell. This bundles the hammock, topquilt and stand together nicely. The hammock shown is a Trek Light with a 9'2" rail for indoor use . I use a slightly longer ridgeline rail when I use my Switchback for an outdoor camp, by changing out the shorter section of rail.
    It looks awesome... Bamboo poles are very strong and decorative for anything....

Quote Originally Posted by turtlelady View Post
    My portable hammock stand is still in development mode. It is made with low tech skills and cheap materials. It is lightweight and small in mass. Here are some photos of it in use in the last few months.

It is made from locally harvested bamboo shelf in Kentucky. The poles are 3/4 - 1" in diameter and up to 66" long. They were not "properly" cured. Two of the first ones I used split most of their length. I taped them and they continued to function until I replaced them. Now I taped the ends of all the poles pre-emptively. So far they have not split.

The tripods are made with simple lashing. A chain link fence top rail has been cut into three pieces to make the ridgeline, using one connector piece. The top rail was a dinged one, and cost just under $5.00. The connector was $1.88. The ridgeline rail hangs from the lashings with a cord loop.

A prussic knot and toggle are used to connect the hammock to the top rail, not the tripods. This makes a compressive force that holds the sections together. The tripods each hold only 1/2 my weight with a downward force.

Limiter cords are connected to the lower part of the tripod legs to limit their spread. A shock cord is taped midway down one leg of each tripod with a bamboo shelf to draw up the limiter cords under tension when the legs are gathered closed for bundling, to prevent tangling. 4" squares of rubber shelf liner stuff under the legs protects smooth wood, laminate or tile floors and helps stablize them.

The bundle of six bamboo shelf poles and top rail weighs 15 pounds and is 5" in diameter.

I am 5' 8" tall and weigh 185 lbs. This stand system has not dropped me yet. It is fairly low to the ground. I lower my self gently into it, gingerly testing the system each time. It feels amazingly stable once it is weighted.

I welcome your questions and suggestions for evolution.

The photos show the stand in actual situations where I have set up for overnight stays without moving any furniture ( other than a floor lamp once so that I could read without using my headlamp.) The tripod legs fit in among and over stuff amazingly well.

BTW -- the photos show Mac's IX 5-in-1 Jerry chair underquilt with cordura shell. This bundles the hammock, topquilt and stand together nicely. The hammock shown is a Trek Light with a 9'2" rail for indoor use . I use a slightly longer ridgeline rail when I use my Switchback for an outdoor camp, by changing out the shorter section of rail.
    Thank you for this information... I noted that

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDoug View Post
    I found this page on splicing bamboo table poles....
    https://bamboo-en.com/bamboo-table-top-bamboo-table-interior-design-ideas-23-new-pics-2021

I am am going to try and make a sectional turtle lady stand and ridge pole.

If it works we could end up with a light weight easily transportable NATURAL hammock Stand......wouldn't that be cool!
    I know this thread is very old But, I want to say thank you for this informations...

• + New Posts
  • Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3575838485