Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Custom Undercover for my Winter UQ made by 2QZQ

A couple weeks ago I was doing some backyard hammock testing with my new wbbb 1.1double hammock and Phoenix 3/4 Winter UQ.

One evening, it was quite breezy and as I lay there I started wondering if that breeze was going to suck some of the warmth from my UQ. My calves and neck started to feel a little chilly.

I've been using a HH Exped Asym with the HH Super Shelter since 2006.
    So I put the SS silnylon bottom cover on the wbbb and could tell right away this was an improvement in the breeze.

Now I know putting a VB below your insulation is asking for condensation problems so I started looking for a ripstop nylon under cover and could not find one so I contacted Tim and Donna @ (www.2qzqhammockhanger.com) they agreed to make me a custom undercover from 1.1 ripstop nylon that would fit my WBBB and Phoenix Winter UQ combo.

Made from 1.1 ripstop nylon and gathers on the ends with shockcords so you can attach it in the same locations as the UQ shockcords.
    The shockcords allow you to adjust the fit so the UQ’s loft does not compress and the sides of the wind block pulls up tight to the sides of the hammock when you are laying in it.

Everything is set up now I just need the weather to corporate. Come on cold breezy nite. lol

Last edited by OutandBack; 01-24-2011 at 18:19.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Very nice. I didn't know they made them from ripstop instead of silnylon. Breathability is key with undercovers. Let us know how it works out for you when you get a chance to test in cold conditions.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Very nice

I'm going to have a go at one myself after this weekends fun, if it doesn't work out though I know where to try next.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    Very nice. I didn't know they made them from ripstop instead of silnylon. Breathability is key with undercovers. Let us know how it works out for you when you get a chance to test in cold conditions.
    Hi pizza,
    The UQ protector cover offered on the www.2qzqhammockhanger.com website is sylnylon. It's designed for wind and blowing rain plus rain that splashes up on your hammock.
    I contacted Tim and asked if he could make me one based on that design but not waterproof and he said sure.

My goal is to use this with the AH Bear Burrito top cover. Kinda like a two piece breathable sock. For Colorado winters I think this will add a few degrees to the over all kit.
    Really looking forward to the next cold breezy nite. Not quite sure how to measure the experiment I think I will just let my back and legs tell me if it helps...

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm sure it will work out for you well. I have a driducks poncho that is supposed to be fairly breathable and it makes a very noticeable difference in warmth by cutting the wind and any condensation stays on the driducks itself and not on the underquilts. I don't like the packability of the driducks though and how fragile it is. The untreated ripstop seems like the way to go.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    HG4seasonCFw/doors
    Insulation
    Hammock gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've got one of these, and man oh man, what a difference it made!

When hanging at the Central WA mid-Witer hang I was using a WB Traveler with a winter Phenix, and a Summer Phenix for my legs. I had a winter Incubator for the TQ. The temps were in the mid to low 20s and I was comfortable except for early in the morning, or when the wind kicked up. It was kinda funny. The wind would start to blow, and I wold wake up, shiver, then the wind would die down, I'd warm up and go right back to sleep. The next night, I put on the 2QZQ UQ undercover, and I slept like a baby! No chills, even though the wind was blowing twice as hard and more consistently. I had a tiny amount of condensation on the undercover in the morning, but none on the insulation. Needles to say, this is now part of my permanent kit.
    Jose Diaz

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Would a Pertex UQ solve both the warmth and condensation issues??

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post
    Would a Pertex UQ solve both the warmth and condensation issues??
    As for warmth, not if it was a 3/4 UQ.
    Your legs and neck would see no additional protection. I believe the goal is to create dead air space to trap some heat and slow convection cooling from the wind.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi pizza,
    The UQ protector cover offered on the www.2qzqhammockhanger.com website is sylnylon. It's designed for wind and blowing rain plus rain that splashes up on your hammock.
    I contacted Tim and asked if he could make me one based on that design but not waterproof and he said sure.
    We were wondering if a ripstop UQ protector would have a market. I am waiting to hear more about OutandBack's testing. I know we currently can purchase Sil 2nds for less than ripstop, so the pricing will have to be adjusted some. Have to check with suppliers of ripstop for a good price at a larger quantity.

Give me a week or two to determine if we will begin to offer a ripstop UQ protector. I'll continue to watch this thread about it.
    Last edited by 2Questions; 01-24-2011 at 22:31.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    We were wondering if a ripstop UQ protector would have a market. I am waiting to hear more about Out and Backs testing. I know we currently can purchase Sil 2nds for less than ripstop, so the pricing will have to be adjusted some. Have to check with suppliers of ripstop for a good price at a larger quantity.

Give me a week or two to determine if we will begin to offer a ripstop UQ protector. I'll continue to watch this thread about it.
    Hi 2 Question,
    Can't thank you enough for making me one of these. The workmanship is excellent and the coverage under the hammock is just what I had imagined.
    Also the Grizz Beak is very cool and a great addition to my OES tarp.

I will be spending a couple shakedown backyard nites in the hammock this week and report back.
    Preparing for a pulk trip to Kenosia Pass Colorado 2nd week in Feb.
    Elevation 3205m where I'm expect a bit more wind. Long range temp forecast 32F/8F This is plenty cold for me no record setting quests...
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-24-2011 at 23:47.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast