Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Images
    Just so we can compare apples to apples.
    I have the HHSS.
    I will go out and install the SS sylnylon bottom only(no OSF)
    on my current kit.

Head End. To keep the full loft of the Phoenix Winter UQ I had to chockup quite a bit.

Head end looking towards foot. Side you get into the hammock from.

Foot end side you get into the hammock

Foot end, looking at shelf

Close up of shelf/footbox area after I climbed in and stuffed my feet into the SB and footbox.

Conclusion: The HHSS is longer but not wider. Fit around footbox is better but there is still the crack thingy
    going on around the shelf. Not sure I care about that with either UQ covers.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-27-2011 at 22:12.

Images
    I wanted to comment about my camera angles.
    I measured the distance from the UQP gathered ends to the end (big knot) of the wbbb
    and it was 10 inch on each end.

Here is an example of that bad camera angle. It looks like the UQP is 2 foot to short when It really is only 10" from the end of the hammocks big knot.

My camera has a very wide angle and the hammock was about 8 inchs from the lens.. This causes the photo to distort the distances.

hth
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-28-2011 at 02:28.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    OutandBack, Thanks for the report. I've been on the fence about these for a couple months. If they are offered in ripstop I think that might get me off the fence.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    I've been using the HH SS undercover on my WBBB lately with great success.
    I layer like this:

TQ
    WBBB
    Molly Mac 5-in-1 w/ extra layers
    HH SS undercover
    AHE New River UQ w/ winter upgrade (if needed)

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    OutandBack,

Now you got me thinking. I'm going to have to give my HHSS a try w/ my WBBB.

I gave up on it shortly after getting it w/ my HH Exp UL when I got frost, then melted frost that wetted my down UQ at 17°F.

O&B: is that a Lamby in your hammock?
    Not all who wander are lost.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoeski View Post
    OutandBack,

Now you got me thinking. I'm going to have to give my HHSS a try w/ my WBBB.

I gave up on it shortly after getting it w/ my HH Exp UL when I got frost, then melted frost that wetted my down UQ at 17°F.

O&B: is that a Lamby in your hammock?
    HI Canoeski,
    Yes I gave up on my HHSS when I got condensation in my hammock sleeping bag and UQ.
    If you add another VB(spaceblanket) right below you that will stop the condensation from getting into the UQ. I have tested this and it does work.

I don't know why, but using a space blanket bothers me. I worry the material above the SpaceBlanket (hammock, SleepingBag, the cloths I wear to bed) will still get damp/wet.
    I just don't want to take that chance.

My approach/ experiment is to have all breathable materials above and below me.
    So far this is working very well with no sign of dampness on any of my materials.
    Except the tarp which has had frost on both sides all three nights.

To be fare, I have only spent 3 nights with lows temps @+15F, on nite 2 it snowed.
    -10F could give me very different results.
    The Colorado weather has just not cooperated yet. But my kit is all setup in the backyard and ready for the next winter storm to blow thru.

Thanks for joining in.

PS- Report nite3. Nothing new to report low was +20F all dry in sector 80128
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-27-2011 at 22:15.

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    HI Canoeski,
    Yes I gave up on my HHSS when I got condensation in my hammock sleeping bag and UQ.
    If you add another VB(spaceblanket) right below you that will stop the condensation from getting into the UQ. I have tested this and it does work.

I don't know why, but using a space blanket bothers me. I worry the material above the SB (hammock, SB, the cloths I wear to bed) will still get damp/wet.
    I just don't want to take that chance.

My approach/ experiment is to have all breathable materials above and below me.
    So far this is working very well with no sign of dampness on any of my materials.
    Except the tarp which has had frost on both sides all three nights.

To be fare, I have only spent 3 nights with lows temps @+15F, on nite 2 it snowed.
    -10F could give me very different results.
    The Colorado weather has just not cooperated yet. But my kit is all setup in the backyard and ready for the next winter storm to blow thru.

Thanks for joining in.

PS- Report nite3. Nothing new to report low was +20F all dry in sector 80128
    Thanks for the update.
    I have been using a thin mylar space blanket between me and the down UQ an I agree I think it helps a lot. So thanks to you,this is worth another try.

Still not admitting to sleeping with a Lamby (pronounced: LAM-e)?
    Your avatar make me suspicious.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoeski View Post
    Still not admitting to sleeping with a Lamby (pronounced: LAM-e)?
    Your avatar make me suspicious.
    HaHa! I forgot you asked me about that.

Yes I with my 20+ year old lamby

Warmest hat I have ever owned. When the moon shines thru your tarp or it gets really cold out you can unsnap the bill and fold it over your face
    keeping your eyes and nose toasty warm...while blocking the moon light.

Images
    I have two additional picture to add showing the current length of the UQP from each end.

Head End:

Foot End:

I spoke with Donna and offered 2 suggestions that would really make this breathable UQP (((Super Nice))).

1) Increase the total length by 18" (thanks to Shug and BlazeAway's suggestion on end to end coverage)
    I am using a stormcrow build 3/4 Winter Phoenix.
    The loft is over 5" so this downy boy really pokes out below the hammock. See my post above this one in my Lamby hat.
    See how much that UQ lofts? This really requires more material to cover the UQ and hammock without compressing it.

2) To help the side edges of the UQP really stay put and hug the top edge of the hammock, possibly keeping the wbbb footbox
    in the UQP I suggested adding a small 1/16" dia. shockcord to each long side with the plastic press to adjust spring thingy so
    the cord could be snugged up based on your hammock kit.

I look forward to talking with Donna @ 2QZQ and hope they will at least offer a limited run of this very cool bit of hammock kit...

Thanks everyone for your ideas and comments. I have had a blast testing and reporting my findings to you.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-27-2011 at 21:15.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I spoke with Donna and offered 2 suggestions that would really make this breathable UQP (((Super Nice))).

1) Increase the total length by 18" (thanks to Shug and BlazeAway's suggestion on end to end coverage)
    I am using a stormcrow build 3/4 Winter Phoenix.
    The loft is over 5" so this downy boy really pokes out below the hammock. See my post above this one in my Lamby hat.
    See how much that UQ lofts? This really requires more material to cover the UQ and hammock without compressing it.

2) To help the side edges of the UQP really stay put and hug the top edge of the hammock, possibly keeping the wbbb footbox
    in the UQP I suggested adding a small 1/16" dia. shockcord to each long side with the plastic press to adjust spring thingy so
    the cord could be snugged up based on your hammock kit.

I look forward to talking with Donna @ 2QZQ and hope they will at least offer a limited run of this very cool bit of hammock kit...

Thanks everyone for your ideas and comments. I have had a blast testing and reporting my findings to you.
    Good ideas. I think the shock cord will help hold the sides up better so it doesn't sag towards the middle on the sides.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast