Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I hope it works out for you. I converted to hammocks after a scoutmaster for my sons suggested I try one. I wrecked my back in a HUMMWV accident, so ground dwelling often left me in agony during scout campouts. Don't know what mods you have done with your Hennessey. I got one used from Mrprez that had the 2QZQ Mod 4 and whoopie slings which made setups much easier to figure out. Had the bottom opening sewed shut when I got it, so I can't tell you the difference.

Again, hope you are able to find a solution that works for you. There are fantastic folks here with lots of knowledge.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Have you tried a bridge style hammock?
    Good luck ...... I hope that something works for you.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Rict, dude, where do you live? If near one of the senior members, very likely one of us can get you comfortable in a few minutes of fiddling with it.....

That would save you a lot of grief, cause as often said here, a group (even if the group is you & one other ) of hangers can shorten your learning curve considerably. My first set up took about 3 weeks to figure out but now I can dial it in in about 20 minutes or less with a new model hammock. If you are in SW Ohio, we can gang up on you & sort it out in record time.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Doctari,

Thanks for the offer, but I live in Seattle, WA. I have checked the "Hangouts" section of the forums, but I don't see anything in my area.
    -------

Shug,

I did consider the bridge style hammocks, but as I mentioned, I can't really afford to spend more than about $100 for yet another hammock, especially since I can't be sure if it will work for me...and the bridge hammocks I've seen advertised cost significantly more than that! (PS. Love your videos!)
    ------

All,

I'll try to get some time to fiddle with the hammocks again this coming weekend; my wife should be able to get some pics of the setups with me in them.

This hammock experimentation has had a positive side-effect, regardless of whether I can get a "sleeping hammock" to work for me or not...now I'm considering carrying a 2' x 3' square of nylon cloth with gathered ends with me whenever I'm camping; with a couple of small trees close enough (not a problem here in the NorthWest), and some cord, I could probably have an "instant camp chair".

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Rict if you want to try a bridge but dont want to spend $185 check the sale forum here. There was just one listed for $150. Still to much. List what you have on the sale forum and apply that towards a bridge. Then you at least recoup some of the cost of equipment you already know isnt working for you. In the JRB Bear Mountain you will have the attached zippered bug net. There is no fiddle factor to lay flat. Hang it with the suspension at about 30 deg and lay in it. No ridge line to adjust. You may play with the level a bit. As others have said put you feet a little higher than your head. I can understand your being a bit skeptical but you can really get a flat lie easily in a bridge. I weigh in at over 200lbs and I can lay on my back, side or stomach. Im not a stomach sleeper but it can be done easily. The only position I cant do in my bridge is fetal. Some people can, I cant. I can do a semi fetal if that makes sense. Shoot even if you cant make a bridge work for you and decide to give up entirely you can always sell it here on the forums.

Just checked and this one is still for sale. It is the older style with a detachable bug net.

Good luck and I hope you find a solution.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Images
    Rict, I agree, it is about time to try another hammock, especially a bridge. However, while I really like a bridge and it has quite a different overall feel than the others, I also have no trouble getting comfortable in a HH Explorer.

I looked through the entire thread, but I may have missed some things. I see you have a Skeeter Beeter, but you also have a HH? Which one?

Did you ever spell out what exactly is uncomfortable? I know your back hurts, for one thing. Anything else more specific?

Have you tried putting something under your knees? A pillow or stuff sack with a fleece jacket in it, under your knees when on your back or between your knees if on your side? I can tell you that, even on a perfectly flat surgery bed, with a thick pad on it, many people having surgery awake with local anesthesia and/or sedation will complain about lower back pain after a while. Sometimes in just a few minutes! Unless a good thick pillow is under their knees. It seems to me that most hammocks, being less than perfectly flat even with a diagonal position, will need some extra knee support for most folks even more than a flat bed. The under knee padding also helps with other potential problems like calf pressure.

A bridge hammock ( for me) needs this less than any other type, but it can still benefit. If you have not already tried this trick, you should immediately. Next step, sell those hammocks and try a bridge. I love my JRB BMBH. It is probably my overall fav. But then again, I am still quite fond of my HH Explorer, so it seems to me a bridge is no guarantee for you.

Oh one more thing. Are you a back sleeper or side sleeper, or both? If you have a HH ( hopefully one of the longer models like an Explorer or even better, a Safari), try what I do for side sleeping. Laying on my right side, I get in the normal diagonal position - with my head against the "left" side and my knees against the right side in full fetal. Be in as much diagonal as you can. Many folks while side sleeping have problems with what is inaccurately called "side torque", where the "banana" effect forces the side a little lower than the feet and head. When I do the above ( also works with a Speer) the center ridge which so often cause grief now supports my side, eliminating all so called "side torque". This could not be more comfortable. It is more comfortable than side sleeping on my bed. But only applies to full fetal.

Good luck!

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    In the WA/OR area, we are planning a couple of hangs this coming Spring/Summer. I have a couple of options you could try out, including a Bridge, my DIY gathered, my TrekLight Double, and a WBBB. Check out the following for upcoming hangs:

- OR Hang 2011 - http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=26518
    - Portland Area Hang - http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=22346
    - WA Coast Hang and Spring Clean - http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=27969
    - 2nd Annual Idaho Hang - http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=26609

Hope to see you!

Hammock
    Skookum Stealth
    Tarp
    Skookum Stealth
    Insulation
    WM Blue
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slingz
    Images
    rict,

Before you invest anymore money in another hammock, I strongly suggest trying to make one of the group hangs that were posted above.

As you can see, this community is heck bent on helping you. I guarantee the guys would love to let you check out their hangs (hey now), pick their brains and help you set up your rig. You'll have a great time too.

If I wasn't 2000 miles away, I would zip out to your place and we would make this happen likety-split. Since I'm not, here is what I can offer:

I have an over-sized (very wide) DIY Skookum Stealth. It is designed extra wide to give you a ton of room to find your sweet spot and get comfy. I have no problem laying right, left, up, down or on my side. It has a removable top-cover, no-seeum bug cover, woopie slings for quick adjustment and more importantly a structural ridgeline.

I would be willing to make you a tailor made rig for cost of materials or if you can't afford that maybe swap your HH or something.

Either way, this HF community is skookum! (means ultimate, first-rate, excellent, etc.). Make time for a group hang, you wont be sorry.

-Skookum
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I've been a bit busy lately and haven't checked posts recently, but I saw this thread and thought I should quickly update the group about the hammock calculator. First, I should point out that the suspension length is just the distance from the tree to the end of the hammock and doesn't calculate for the diameter of the tree, etc., to give you what the full length should be etc.

In addition, there are a few bugs that have been worked out but I haven't had a chance to upload the new version. The new version has some nice features and does a better job with calculating the different lengths.

All that said, the calculator is a great tool and helps with approximation only. I made it to help respond to the question of "how high" when looking at "how far apart".

Anyway, I'm glad to see this thread getting some good feedback and support.

Otter,

That Bear Mountain looks sweet, and all the reviews I've read are positive, but I really can't spend that money right now.

BB58,

Yeah, it's my lower back that hurts (probably doesn't help that I messed it up in a parachuting accident in my 20's). I sleep on my side mostly (actually, I'm a "tosser & turner" sleeper, even on an indoor bed), but have not tried the pillow between the legs; I thought I read that was recommended for people who have leg pains while in the hammock. I'll give that a try. That "side torque" may be what's happening to me.

CreativeKayt,

Thanks for the links. I haven't read thru all the back & forth messages in them, but it looks like April 23 on the coast is the only definate date I see in a quick scan. I'll have to go thru them in more details when I can.

Skookum,

Thanks for your very generous offer. Your Stealth looks very impressive, but I'm going to try to fiddle with my existing hammocks first by myself, then at a group hang.

Quick question for anyone...when you're trying out a "strange" hammock (one that isn't your regular hammock), can you tell within a few minutes how comfortable it actually will be to sleep in for hours? I'm guessing I'm just not familiar enough with the various "sensitive zones" for hammock sleeping...but now that I think about it, I'm the same with regular beds: they all feel fine when I first get in, it's only later in the night that I feel that they're too soft or too hard, and causing me pain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast