DIY Hennessey Clone
    Tarp
    Camo Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch clips

Delving into Tarps, have a few questions

I have been reading threads about different tarps, ones you buy and DIY tarps and I would like to clarify a few things.

My hubby and I would like to hang under the same tarp if that is possible. If I am reading it right a tarp around 12X12 would be needed for that. I also recall reading that it is difficult to find the space in a forest for a 12X12 tarp. Is this still everyone's experience?

Just a bit of background, we don't backpack unless it is at least 50F during the day and 40F at night forcasted. We have backpacked colder but we just don't enjoy it during the day, and I hate the waking up part and I hate being cold. (I write this as it is 5F outside). So mostly we need protection from summer/spring thunderstorms and not snow.

I was looking at the Chinook tarp as there were a few threads on it. I like the color and the price (and price is a BIG consideration). Would a 12X9 be large enough for two to sleep together, or should we just 'hang separately?' It also comes in 14X12, but that just seems huge and it would be excess weight.

And finally, has anyone ordered from ManVenture Outpost? I hate ordering from an unknown online retailer without a referral.

I honestly would love to spend the money on one of the awesome tarps you all have (reading the posts is making me jealous) but that just isn't in the budget at this point. My only other option is to cannabolize a old tent rain-fly and try to seam seal it - it is the wrong shape so I am not looking forward to that.
    As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do. ~Ernest Hemmingway

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    you can pull it off with a smaller tarp if you can find the right trees, which you probably can. what you'll want to do is basically hang your feet off the same tree, and have your head end of hammocks attached to 2 trees a few feet apart. so you're really side-by-side...

majority of nights you probably won't need your tarp anyway.

i saw a guy last year using a blue tarp that you can get at home depot. to be perfectly honest, they work just fine! plus he just strapped it onto the outside of his pack b/c who cares? it was an $8 tarp. if you're not trying to be UL then don't sweat it!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I have a Guide Gear tarp I picked up off ebay last year for cheap. It's 12x12 and I got it to use as a large rain fly for camping. Just got into hanging and have only used it for shade over the soon-to-be-left behind tent.

It's light weight and waterproof. May be worth the investment at under $20.00. None on the bay now, but here's a link: http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net....aspx?a=328267

It's big enough and well made.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey Clone
    Tarp
    Camo Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch clips
    We have plenty of the blue tarps laying around, when I get my webbing I'll head over to the woods next door and try your hanging method - I wasn't sure how close together we could get the hammocks, you have given me hope.

I do have to say that the electric blue color is kinda an eyesore though

I just found it on Amazon.com for about the same price, with Prime I get free shipping (its nice to be a student - free Amazon prime!)
    As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do. ~Ernest Hemmingway

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    think of a skinny V

i know a guy here named 'just jeff' hangs like that with his son...

the blue tarp would at least give you a test for awhile as far as coverage (how big, too big?) and buy you some time until you could save up pennies for a big silnylon one

I've sucessfully dual hung in light rain and snow under a 8.5'x10.5' tarp, but it was a little tight in there and a got a little moist from brushing against it.

I recently picked up a Guide Gear 12x12 tarp from another forum member... You have to sew two additional tieouts on it in order to set it up as a rectangle (it's meant to be a diagonal tarp). It's quite roomy, even with the ends closed up like doors.

Around here, there is no problem finding trees more than 12' apart. And, if the trees are of a reasonably large diameter, you can get plenty of separation between the hammocks by strapping each to a different side of the tree.

I would say that 12' in one dimension is the minimum if you want to set it up a-frame style. One the diagonal would give you more room, but less protection from wind/rain. If wind is not a problem, then you can get by with a much smaller tarp.

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey Clone
    Tarp
    Camo Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch clips
    Thanks for the info, have lots to think about. I'm going to dig out some of my blue tent tarps and give it a go.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    You can get green or brown "blue" tarps now. The green looks abit virulent, but the brown is quite subdued. Good prices at

http://www.tarpaflex.com/acatalog/Economy_Tarps.html

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Those gear guide tarps are big, weighs 2 lbs. The included stuff bag is worthless as it is long and narrow making it almost impossible to get the tarp back in it. I made a stuff sack for it. 2 people should be able to fit under it. I use mine for car camping.

The picture is my gear guide tarp with a Mosquito Hammocks Camo Fly over it and a Big Mamajama over both for comparison

Does not look like but a Warbonnet BB fits under the Mamajama tarp with room to spare
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Crazy thought about dual hammock hanging:

Has anyone ever hung two hammocks side-by-side from two trees, and used heavy-duty spreader bars to keep the hammocks apart? I realize that this would increase stresses on the suspension members, but I do not believe it would place any more stress on the hammocks. A smaller tarp would probably suffice.

Just thinkin'.

Jim

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast