MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images

Thread Injector Advice

Greetings Hammock Hangers,

I have decided to take the next step in the obsession and start making my own gear. I need to get get a thread injector and all the gear I need to start.

Any suggestions as far as features I should be looking for and extra gear I should get?
    "Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny." - Yoda

Hungry Hammock Hanger Website

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Check the "guidelines" post in my signature. You might find it helpful.

All that is absolutely required is a straight stitch. Reverse can be nice, but if you don't have it there are workarounds. Zig-zag is occasionally useful but absolutely discretionary.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Heed the Rev's advice!

And, spend some time with his videos.

I use a starter machine from Hancock's Fabrics, cost ~$100 (it's really my daughter's machine, so I did not buy it . It has the reverse, which you need for backstitching which helps keep stitches from coming undone, and zig-zag, which is useful for making bar tacks in webbing, and a *** button hole *** function, which is really, really helpful when you are making stuff sacks. The machine has another dozen or so functions, but I never use them. The function that also comes into play sometimes is stitches per inch. Sometimes you want closer stitching, sometimes wider.

Before doing any project I always start with some scrap material to make sure everything is working as it is supposed to. And, I always sew a line on the scrap whenever I change the bobbin (to reload or change colors.)

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    It has the reverse, which you need for backstitching which helps keep stitches from coming undone, and zig-zag, which is useful for making bar tacks in webbing, and a *** button hole *** function, which is really, really helpful when you are making stuff sacks. The machine has another dozen or so functions, but I never use them. The function that also comes into play sometimes is stitches per inch. Sometimes you want closer stitching, sometimes wider.

The vast majority of machines available now, even in the old models will have a reverse stitch. But there are occasional machines found which do not. The industrial machines up the last 30 years or so often did not have a reverse. There are very effective work-arounds if one of these happens to fall into your lap. I'll not try to explain them here. But they are simple and highly effective. But in all probability any thing you find will have at least the reverse.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by babelfish5 View Post
    Greetings Hammock Hangers,

I have decided to take the next step in the obsession and start making my own gear. I need to get get a thread injector and all the gear I need to start.

Any suggestions as far as features I should be looking for and extra gear I should get?
    Welcome to the madness !

I am working with an old machine, saved her from the bay and she cost me 1 Euro -- almost nothing. All my DIY-gear went through this baby. I treated the machine manually by foot and the results turned out very lovely even though she is a very old girl.

Had my hands on a thread-injector the first time when I was 11 years old, so better stick to the other's hints on how to make your first steps -- I just cannot remember how I got hooked up.

Hammock
    gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Oh, what I really intended to say:
    It doesn't need to be a new machine. Some older machines have made it to our time because there has never been a reason to trash them...

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I agree with Trinni.
    I use a Singer 15-91 machine that is at least 50 years old... maybe more.
    It is all metal, so no plastic parts to break.
    Only does a straight stitch, but has reverse and can alter the stitch length.
    I'm still pretty new at this, but prefer the older, arguably more durable simplicity vs the plastic stuff you'll find on the store shelves today.
    Just my opinion.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

• + New Posts