DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Debi Jaytee View Post
    I like those swing bolts...we don't have an Ikea here though...
    I could maybe send some to you?
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Quote Originally Posted by tonejones View Post
    I have mine hanging in my livivng room from lag bolts i got a home depot. they are around $3 and have a working weight of about 270 to 300lb. they say not to use to support human weight but I am not swinging on them or climbing and falling just sitting. Been using them a while now and are sturdy and cost me only $6 to hang my hammock.
    Same here, though I went a size up and they're good for close to 700 pounds each. Imma bigga boy. You are using two of them so the load is split between the two so really with your setup with an average size man is good for probably 3 or 4 times the weight.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Cheapo HF camo
    Insulation
    SA down throw UQ
    Suspension
    HF straps w/ rings
    I have plaster/lathe walls

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    would you do that? that would be awesome! I could send you the money via paypal...
    Debi

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Debi Jaytee View Post
    would you do that? that would be awesome! I could send you the money via paypal...
    I'd be glad to! It may take a couple weeks if you aren't in a big hurry. My daughter loves to go to Ikea. They have a little play area and a cheap lunch. I'd be a good excuse to go.

I'll go in the next week or so and then PM you for your addy.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    8X10 all purp tarp
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    12ft dble webbing
    @rick...that swing bracket looks pretty sweet...looks like with the right screws it would be very sturdy. The Eye-bolts also look good, especially if you buy a longer one that is pretty thick
    God saw all that he had made, and it was very good.

Genesis 1:31

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewalker10 View Post
    @dejoha...that hammock calculator is really cool...its a little confusing...how long is the hammock on there?
    The calculations assume approximately 10' hammock with a 108" ridgeline. It's more of an estimator. Allowing the user to enter in a hammock length might be a great addition for a future version.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    When I looked into hanging inside the main thing that worried me was:
    -are the wall studs configured in a way that they will gracefully withstand the sideways and down pulling force exerted by the hammock suspension... without pulling the stud out of the wall.

I used lag bolts to attach two brackets to the horizontal header at the top of the 5' tall half-walls around the periphery of my office, which was a walk-up attic that was finished by a prior owner. I also ran a lag bolt up through the header into one of the big roof beams to be sure that the hammock didn't pull the header through the sheetrock.

It just so happens that in my office I have a closet door across the room from the two brackets that I bolted to the walls. I tied a knot in a poly strap and slipped the knot over the top of the open closet door, then closed the door so that the strap wedged between the door and frame at the top hinge, with the knot on the back side of the door. This gives me a third anchor point. Using all 3 anchor points I hang 3 hammocks in a triangle.

I'm about 190-200 LB, and have used this 3 hammock setup with me in one, and two kids in the other two (50 and 60 LB kids) with no issues.
    However, I've read of folks who's door frames were not properly secured having their door frame ripped clean out of the wall when using the strap over the door method.

The headers on the 5' walls are really too low, so I set up my hammock to hang about an inch above the floor.
    I like the way KC7FYS solved the problem on page 3 of the following linked thread. Pick your height.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=24686
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Quote Originally Posted by jred View Post
    I have plaster/lathe walls
    You still have studs in the wall, it just makes it a little harder to find them. Look, establish where you want to put your hang point and mark that lightly with a soft pencil. Now, using a 3 pound hand sledge beat the plaster off the walls in a 3 foot radius. Identify the stud and attach your eyelet there.

IF you are still an occupant of the house after your significant other sees the modification, proceed with re-applying lathe, plaster and paint. Make sure to miss your schedualed last day of painting and cleanup while informing everyone what day that will be. Nothing worse then coming home to your new and repaired walls to find out that the locksmith had been there and your key doesn't work anymore. I figure if they're gonna be sneaky and lock you out, YOU be sneaky and leave em with cleanup to do.

I just used the 'There has to be framing for the doors and windows Method but I did check with an fine drill bit for center. In my house the studs were attached well AND the termite damage wasn't in that area. You do pay your money and take your chances. But I've hung 4 big TV's in the house using the same methods and those never gave me any problems so I took a shot.

You could always claim to be running a new electrical service line when you break out the hand sledge.

Hammock
    gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    I am living in an old building for which I cannot certainly say of what materials the walls have been built of. The best probably would be to put on my own wooden posts to the walls using several fastening points to spread out forces and hang the hammock onto those posts but I am just too pessimistic or rather picky to get things done this way.

Lately I have stumbled upon a video on Youtube almost 4 years old, without any ratings and under 200 times viewed... which saved me from hammock abstinence.... A quick fix for my problem of finding some safe anchor points to hang my hammock within my apartment -- see step2 at 0:30 to get a clue of what inspired me. A quick fix if you have two doors with the right distance from another.

I am using my DIY straps with a plastic tube of a very ugly plastic shelf to set my anchor points (pic2). You can also see my (TQ) used as UQ on the first photo. It's working really good -- my back's not seen the floor yet!
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast