Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

what to make with 4yds of IX?

I'm pumped that 4 yards of IX arrived in the mail today.
    Only problem is that I'm not sure what to do with it.

The obvious solution is to order a bunch more and make one of everything. However, my funds and time are limited... so I have to narrow this down to one or two projects.

Intended use is to extend my current setup, which is pretty much summer only, into the shoulder seasons. Not expecting a little bit of IX to keep me toasty in freezing temps.

Things I've been thinking about:
    -2x single layer IX "panels" that I can insert in my DWR - fleece - DWR UQ
    Pro: I can get 2x 3/4 length inserts out of the 12' of IX, and can split them up if needed. ie. I use a panel and my son uses a panel. or 1 panel in the UQ, one on top as a TQ booster.
    Con: ?

-lining for a hammock sock.
    Pro: should make the sock much warmer than w/o the IX.
    Con: pretty much all of the IX is used in one shot. And a sock will be challenging to use on my Frankenbird with the Extra Large shelf.

-1x layer as a panel in the UQ mentioned in option 1 above, and 1 layer sewn made into a TQ w/DWR and ability to nest with my fleece TQ.

So, if the IX fairy dropped 4 yards of goodness on your doorstep, what would YOU make with it? (no Dave, I'm not calling you a fairy of the IX variety, or otherwise)
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    You should just probably scrap all those ideas, send it to me and I'll whip up something.

Seriously, the 2 single-layer panels sound like a great idea. I got hold of some of IX (read = ldpe from some furniture purchased moons ago) and added 2 layers into a cannibalized sleeping bag for a UQ. That fact that your 'panel's could be removed it way cool IMO. No cons I can think of. My $0.02.

As always, you turn around your DIY stuff pretty quick so I'm interested to see what you do with it.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Thanks Syb.
    How quickly I turn stuff around depends on how well I'm able to harness the power of my ADD.

Like you, I've also got some thin foam from some TV and computer monitor packaging. I should probably think about how to best use the IX as well as the packing foam. On closer inspection, the foam itself looks nearly identical. If I add the TV foam to a layer of light nylon, it should be pretty similar in usage to IX. I've only got one big piece of TV foam which is ~47"x54". I'm thinking that the TV foam might best be used to make baffles for the edges and/or ends to seal against air leaks.
    I think that is what MacEntyre has started doing with his IX UQs.

If the furniture foam works, then I may have to swing by the Furniture store down the street to see if I can intercept any of their foam before it hits the landfill.

So many ideas, so little foam.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    Thanks Syb.
    How quickly I turn stuff around depends on how well I'm able to harness the power of my ADD.
    Awesome.

I think that is what MacEntyre has started doing with his IX UQs.
    Pretty sure.

If the furniture foam works, then I may have to swing by the Furniture store down the street to see if I can intercept any of their foam before it hits the landfill.
    An HH Gregg just opened near me and I'll be stopping by there soon to take some ldpe off their hands.

Okay, enough rambling, rj, get to work, tap in to your ADD and produce some DIY!
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Syb View Post
    Okay, enough rambling, rj, get to work, tap in to your ADD and produce some DIY!
    Not tonight. Off to my son's basketball game soon, then to my hockey game... then to bed. Probably good that I'm too busy tonight, as I need time to sort through all the different ideas/options before I sit down at the Thread Injector.
    Otherwise I end up with FrankenGear that is less than ideally thought out before assembly.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    The hard part about 2 separate IX inserts will be making them so they get separation between the layers to trap an air space and thus hold warmth. I like the versatility though...

Another thought, make a 5 in 1 Jerry chair type set-up that could be used as an UQ, Chair, Pack cover, gear hammock etc... Thank is what I would make!

• + New Posts