Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Thanks for sharing your photos Mustardman.
    They came out pretty good. I really like the one down by the lake thru the aspens.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I kinda like this one Mustardman.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Thanks for sharing your photos Mustardman.
    They came out pretty good. I really like the one down by the lake thru the aspens.
    I really like that picture too - I always like taking pictures of aspen groves.

If you look at the high-res versions, many of the pictures have strange ghosting artifacts. That's because I was trying to use the iphone's HDR capability to correct for its terrible dynamic range - HDR takes three pictures at three different exposures, and meshes them together. Well, when you're shivering, those three exposures tend to be off just a bit and you get funny images

Hammock
    JRB BMB @ camp, Brazilian @ home
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11
    Insulation
    JRB down quilts
    Suspension
    JRB straps
    I have a picture or two on my phone, I will try to get them up sometime soonish.

I'm glad the saw was such a big hit! Was definitely the time to break that thing in

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Already bought one...just got it this week so I haven't cut anything with it yet. Worthy addition to my group-hang pack. Probably won't take it on solo trips.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I haven't been on the forum for a few weeks--been sorting out work and family illness, but things have settled down enough for me to post this very belated trip report. The 2nd Colorado Winter Hang was my first hang and winter hammock campout. I learned a lot, both in terms of winter camping and hammock hanging.

Bubbyman and I drove up from Albuquerque on Friday (1/14) and got to the Rampart Reservoir in about 6 hours (around 10:30 am) using the excellent directions from JustJeff. We were the first ones there and while we were getting our gear out, another SUV pulled up. I went over and introduced myself and met a fellow named Jeff--OK, so JustJeff and party have just arrived (at least that's what we assumed and you know what they say about that). So psuedo-JustJeff and party take off and we followed them shortly thereafter.

We saw their tracks in the snow going into the first campground, Meadow, and no tracks going past to Thunder Ridge campground, so we assumed (there's that word again) the hang had changed to the backup, Meadow, from Thunder Ridge for some reason. Bubbyman and I set up our hammocks and tarps at the Meadow campground and had some lunch while waiting for the rest of the HF folks to show up.

With the extra calories nourishing my ancient brain cells, it dawned on me that, 1. no one has shown up yet, and b. the psuedo-JustJeff party was nowhere to be seen. Hmmm, were we at the wrong campsite? Bubbyman and I concluded that, yes we were but we are set up now and we'll check out Thunder Ridge the next day.

We had a good first night, temps went down to 19*F in the hammock, and I was comfortably warm. The next morning, Bubbyman and I packed up our stuff and made it over to Thunder Ridge and met up with the rest of the hangers.

We had great weather (40's day, 15*F night), good food, and most importantly met a great bunch of HF folks. I'm looking forward to another hang and will work towards getting one going in New Mexico in the Fall.

Lessons learned:
    1. When meeting folks for the first time, verify that I'm meeting the right party and don't assume the first people you meet are there for the same reason you are...
    2. I can sleep comfortably in mid-teens with my setup and probably can go lower to the single digits.
    3. My UQs were a MacEntyre Shamu IX UQ with extra insert and a Hammock Gear Winter Phoenix 3/4 UQ. I found that I needed to crank up the suspension as tight as possible to achieve the right UQ hang--much more than I had been doing. The excellent differential cut designs of these UQs handled the tighter suspension very well and I was much warmer than I had been before "discovering" the right way to do it.
    4. Nalgene bottles put really close to a campfire can turn into interesting shapes...

Here's my first attempt at doing a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWN2Cuijr1Y
    Last edited by KefWalker; 01-31-2011 at 20:06.
    Solvitur Ambulando - Diogenes

Images
    Enjoyed the video. I wonder how the drinking cup project turned out?
    Looking forward to the next group hang and would love to come down your way if you guys put on a NM hang.

Hammock
    WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Glad you liked my clumsy video OutandBack--got a lot to learn there--stills are so much easier! I'm definitely going to explore a Fall NM hang--maybe in the Pecos Wilderness around Sept/Oct. I'll keep everyone up-to-date as I get chances to scout out some areas.
    Solvitur Ambulando - Diogenes

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Thanks for posting the video - it's always good to relive fun nights in the woods when you're sitting at work

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock UL Backpacker
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11&HH
    Insulation
    JRB Nest&ORagMtn
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Great Video, Edbeteze!

Hey Edbeteze,

Watch where you're putting your hand! (INside joke).

Really appreciate your putting the video together and think it came out well. Can't you do something about my squeaky voice, though?!

Now all you need are some special effects, and you'll be the martin scorcese of HF.

Ought to be camping out tonight, cause here in Mountainair we got a foot of snow and 3' drifts last night, lows -5, and tonight supposed to be -10 or so! Better run outside and hitch up the donkeys and head for the mountains.

Great job!
    Things fall apart, the centre will not hold

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast