1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I was reading Alamosa thread on his stand and thought I would update this one. I made new anchors, 24" rebar with a piece of 2" welded on the top, think T shape. And I switched to ratchet straps. Since this will be transported in a truck, weight and space are not an issue.

I have used this stand for 5 nights with no problems. No anhors pulling out or even loose. The only thing, and is was not really a problem was with 2 days of rain, the end sunk in the ground, but only about 1" to 1.5". The next morning, when I noticed, I just tightened the ratchet straps and no more sinking issues.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    I was reading Alamosa thread on his stand and thought I would update this one. I made new anchors, 24" rebar with a piece of 2" welded on the top, think T shape. And I switched to ratchet straps. Since this will be transported in a truck, weight and space are not an issue.

I have used this stand for 5 nights with no problems. No anhors pulling out or even loose. The only thing, and is was not really a problem was with 2 days of rain, the end sunk in the ground, but only about 1" to 1.5". The next morning, when I noticed, I just tightened the ratchet straps and no more sinking issues.
    Interesting...Would be good to see a picture of your setup...BTW, how do you suppose tightening the straps kept the ends from sinking...in any case I can imagine, the direction of force on those posts would be downward...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoveryDiver View Post
    Interesting...Would be good to see a picture of your setup...BTW, how do you suppose tightening the straps kept the ends from sinking...in any case I can imagine, the direction of force on those posts would be downward...
    It didn't stop it from sinking. But after 1 night it sank as far as it was going to. I tightened the straps and after another night of sleeping, the straps were stilll tight. I'll get some more pics, with the straps.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images

New updates to an old stand idea!

The updates include:

I added a new piece of rebar about 3" long at the top of the upright. So now I have 2, about 4" apart. The lower one is for the whoopies and the ridgeline, the upper is for the hammock.

I cut notches on the back side of the 2x4 so that the tarp lines do not slip down the uprights. I can now adjust the height of the tarp by choosing which notch to use.

Plywood with hole drilled in the center:
    Goes under the upright, hole is for the stake that goes into the bottom of the 2"x4", keeps the upright from sinking. It's about 1'x1'.

Amsteel whoopies inplace of the ratchet straps:
    Actually makes set-up easier. Loop the adjustable part of the whoopie over the upright, then hold out the end with the locked brummel, drive stake into the ground at this point, push up on the upright to see if it's straight, if not then adjust one of the whoopies.

Dutch flyz and Dynaglide: (Thanks Dutch):
    Used for the ridgeline. I e-mailed Dutch about making a Fly for amsteel, he recommended using the dynaglide and that he could make a Fly to fit. I put a locked brummel loop on one end, big enough to fit over the 2x4. Place ridgeline loop over upright at one end, the other gets the Fly. Pull everthing nice and tight and lock. When the hammock is used, the weight will be removed from the ridgeline. It is there just to hold everything together until I get in.

Using my Gear Guide tarp, or my DIY camo tarp, I can take up less room. The Kelty Noah 9 in a diamond is a lot longer than either of the other 2 and needed more room in between the uprights. In the pics I have the Gear Guide tarp, with center tie out loops added at the ridgeline.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Love it! Nice simple design. Can't wait to see the mods that come on future versions. Right now I can't think of anything to modify.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    That worked out well. If that flyz slips let me know and I can show you how to thread it better.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    That worked out well. If that flyz slips let me know and I can show you how to thread it better.
    Dutch, I did not have any problems with it slipping. Do I have it threaded wrong? I was in a hurry and was trying to go from memory on the original fly I have from you.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Any one know roughy how much Amsteel to get? To make this?

I know you can never have too much amsteel, but I don't want to have too little to finish it if I get this.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12