Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert2010 View Post
    Oh I see... so instead of folding it under a few times, you lay it flat and use Bias Tape.

So that leads me to my next "Q"

Why not just cut a LOOOOOONG strip of fabric and use that?
    Why lay out a square
    cut it on a diag.
    move bottom to top
    mark it
    tube it one line off and then cut the strip out of that?

It seems that a long strip would be easier.

(again... I am just trying to learn and understand...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    So you use bias instead of grograin right. Also same as above, do you really need the stretch of real bias or can a 120'' continous peice of material be used to form the bias tape instead?
    The reason you make the tape this way is to use the material more efficiently. You can take a smallish square and get a long piece of tape out if it. Since it's mostly for aesthetic reasons, being on bias doesn't affect it.
    Life is hard? Compared to what?

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Exactly right! It's a more efficient use of your material and the "stretch" from having it run "on the bias" makes it a little easier to go around curves and with movement.

Quote Originally Posted by hikelite View Post
    The reason you make the tape this way is to use the material more efficiently. You can take a smallish square and get a long piece of tape out if it. Since it's mostly for aesthetic reasons, being on bias doesn't affect it.

Oh I see so the main reason is to make more use out of your material... (light bulb just went off) I GET IT NOW...... SAAAAWEET.... I will need this for when I sew my bug net into my hammock.

Thanks for the detailed explanation and the video... look forward to more...

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert2010 View Post
    Oh I see so the main reason is to make more use out of your material... (light bulb just went off) I GET IT NOW...... SAAAAWEET.... I will need this for when I sew my bug net into my hammock.

Thanks for the detailed explanation and the video... look forward to more...
    Think of it as free grossgrain in any color and width you want. It really adds a nice finished look to a project.
    Life is hard? Compared to what?

Images
    Kayt I'm really enjoying this series of videos. Was starting to worry you'd given up on the project.

A few minor bits of constructive criticism..

More lighting would be good in a few spots on the video. LOTS of youtuber's could use more lighting, especially for up close angles.

I think it was overlooked that most of what you did with the bias tape was to produce a long piece but for a while it almost sounded like you have to do ALL of that to get some tape when you could just cut one strip out at a bias if you needed say just a foot of it. By and large though you do a great job of explaining what you're doing and how it works.

I don't know if you realize it or not, but you say some version of, "so all you do"/"so here's what you do" a lot. I mean, a LOT.
    I say "apparently" a lot when I explain things. I know it starts to annoy people. We've all got our verbal ticks, suppressing them goes a long ways towards making things sound magically more professional. Don't take me the wrong way here, not trying to bash you at all.

Finally, there spots in your video where it goes black and "time passes" I personally would love to see the actually work, or at least more of it, just edit it to play those parts in fast forward if you can. This would work in a lot of gear videos, like boil times and such for the rest of you guys would look good done that way. The cuts can occasionally make things hard to follow.

For youtubers at large (haven't seen Kayt do this) please don't tell the camera "you'll be right back" when you get ready to stop and change setups. To the viewer no time passes. I have no idea why but this just bugs the bejesus out of me. Imagine if they did that on Food Network or if Martha Stewart did that, or for that matter Les Stroud. Maybe I'm the only one that notices it.

Keep working on it Kayt, I'm getting a lot of ideas for making my own based off your construction process. The spiderman tests were very interesting and would be a good idea for one of our favorite animators illustrations.
    Last edited by Gqgeek81; 01-21-2011 at 09:11. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by hikelite View Post
    Think of it as free grossgrain in any color and width you want. It really adds a nice finished look to a project.
    Hey now.....

Daddy likes FREE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post

...For youtubers at large (haven't seen Kayt do this) please don't tell the camera "you'll be right back" when you get ready to stop and change setups. To the viewer no time passes. I have no idea why but this just bugs the bejesus out of me. Imagine if they did that on Food Network or if Martha Stewart did that, or for that matter Les Stroud. Maybe I'm the only one that notices it....
    Hmmmm..... This is great point. I do that in my Vids..... hang let me think about what I am going to type here. I will be right back.

Okay I'm back.....

It's like, um in my Communications class in school, I mean, um... College.
    We got, um busted every time we said "UM"

I make it poit to not (moment of silence) say um, but instead (moment of silence) have moments of silence instead of saying UM when I am think about (moment of silence) what to say next.

I will make a point of not saying "be right back" in my videos anymore. this is one of those things you don't realize until someone points it out to ya.

(moment of silence)

So, thanks for the tip.

Images

re

exactly.
    I have plenty of hangups when talking to a crowd that I KNOW of and I'm sure more I don't. The professionals but and large don't have anything special on us, they just seem smother because they've practiced away their hangups.

Also see the episode of HIMYM where they do shots every time Robin says "but umm" on her news cast. classic

But Shug has plenty himself he just edits away
    video bloggers like Phillip Defranco do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    ....Also see the episode of HIMYM where they do shots every time Robin says "but umm" on her news cast. classic......
    "but umm" = Drink

Ted and "The Barnacle" were hammered that night LOL
    I love that show.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Gqgeek81 -- All excellent advice! Thank you. This feedback really helps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast