Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    aparently the secret keyword to finding fabric is Codura

Cordura® ripstop camo
    If you like paying extra for a trade name.... otherwise just a shirt weight polyester taffeta is my favorite fabric for a hammock.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    otherwise just a shirt weight polyester taffeta is my favorite fabric for a hammock.
    Good to know! What weight limit would you guess for shirt-weight polyester taffeta? (And, if I ask the folks at Joanne's, will they give me that head-tilt/huh? look?)

I've seen Polyester Lining material, and satin taffeta listed... Would those work?

As always, Rev's a wealth of knowledge... Thanks!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey Clone
    Tarp
    Camo Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch clips
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    (And, if I ask the folks at Joanne's, will they give me that head-tilt/huh? look?)
    That's exactly what I was getting yesterday visiting the fabric stores. I knew I should have taken my mother with me!
    As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do. ~Ernest Hemmingway

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Good to know! What weight limit would you guess for shirt-weight polyester taffeta? (And, if I ask the folks at Joanne's, will they give me that head-tilt/huh? look?)

I've seen Polyester Lining material, and satin taffeta listed... Would those work?

As always, Rev's a wealth of knowledge... Thanks!
    Lining material is probably too lightweight for me to feel comfortable (240#). Satin taffeta has a satin weave and is likely too delicate for outdoor use. The satin weave has a lot of exposed threads on the surface which is what gives it that shiny look in the light. Go to Wally World and check out their polyester dress shirts. You don't have to buy one Just check out the material. That's about what you want. It is basically the run of the mill, nothing special, everyday polyester that you see.

The difference I am making is between Shirt/Top weight and bottom/pants/skirt weight. Joannes should know that terminology.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Hey - saw our name pop up quite a bit through this thread and thought I should jump in.

The stuff you found at Walmart is very likely just fine for a hammock. If someone who knows their fabrics thought it was nylon, then it's likely that or polyester, either of which are fine for outdoor gear. In my experience, 99% of the digital camo ripstop from Walmart $1 bins is 70d ripstop nylon (also known here as 1.9oz).

There are lots of great places to get 1.9oz ripstop - but most all of them are online - at least if you want to really know what you're getting. Most brick and mortar fabric stores are geared to quilt makers, dress makers, and other more common stitching professions. They don't cater to the outdoor gear crowd and rarely know much about the fabrics they sell in regards to that (though occasionally you'll find someone with some really good knowledge). That's not to disparage them at all - they're serving their niche and doing it well.

Look in the "Fabrics" subcategory, there's a thread (I think it's a sticky at the top) about places to find fabric for our purposes.

I do not carry any 1.9oz ripstop (currently) - but I've got something that I think is even better - a really nice 1.5oz (it's a 70d x 40d, instead of the more common 70d x 70d). And we've got the normal 1.1oz (30d). (d=denier=the weight/thickness of the threads used to weave the fabric).

JoAnn's sells a "Sport Ripstop Nylon" that is 1.9oz (70d) for $6.99. If you buy there, use a coupon!

What RamblinRev said about Cordura® is right on - it's a trade name (a good one, mind you) but really doesn't mean much other than the fabric was made to Cordura®'s specs. I carry Cordura® Silnylon, for example. When people think Cordura® they're thinking of heavy weight fabrics - but silnylon is one of the lightest fabrics used for tarps and whatnot.

Ok, enough rambling... there's already been plenty of great info here and more will come. Don't hesitate with any other questions!

- Scott
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    really nice 1.5oz (it's a 70d x 40d, instead of the more common 70d x 70d). And we've got the normal 1.1oz (30d). (d=denier=the weight/thickness of the threads used to weave the fabric).
    For the totally uninitiated... woven fabric consists of two threads run in different directions... warp and woof(weft). I can't remember which one goes which direction but that's the gist of it. The 70d x 40d would indicate the fabric is made up of two different threads. One heavier than the other. It is a manufacture's technical designation. The 70d x 70d would be a taffeta unless the weave is a different pattern. The 70d x 40d would appear very much like a taffeta unless your eye was _very_ precise. That stuff would be fabulous. I suspect the 70d runs the length while the 40d is width. Strong but very smooth and "silky" feeling. I may have to get me some of that.

Edit: One more thought... If I was going to buy a technical performance fabric (like silnyl) I would go for the brand name (like Cordura) over a generic alternative. Technical performance fabrics are in a very different category. The exception to that would be if I was buying from a very reputable experienced outdoor merchant who knew the quality of their goods. But for most instances I would avoid technical performance fabrics from Ebay or such unless I knew for sure they were legitimately brand name fabrics.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 01-15-2011 at 17:18.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Images

Woof, woof!

The weft, or woof, runs from selvage to selvage. The warp are the continuous threads running the length of the fabric bolt.

At least this is what I remember from reading about woven fabrics while designing lap looms for the kids.

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    If you like paying extra for a trade name.... otherwise just a shirt weight polyester taffeta is my favorite fabric for a hammock.

What I ment by that, google or using a search engine 1.1 ripstop nylon doesn't find the desired material.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Went to Joanne Fabric to today - and they have several colors of ripstop and sport nylon there. However, the rough width is 58" - whereas some of the DIY show widths of 60 - 65". The 58 inches also included about 2 inches on each side full of perforated holes - slightly ugly. At $7.99 a yard, and would not take my 40% coupon, I am heading to our forum partners to pick some material up.

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey Clone
    Tarp
    Camo Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch clips
    I have my material, thanks to a friend on facebook - you never know what people have laying around!

My mom and I had a powwow to discuss sewing techniques. I am going to make it a double layer hammock as from what I read, they are warmer (I sleep very cold - even in my house). I want to be able to slip my backpacking thermarest between the layers.

Guess I should make a new thread about my hammock so I can ask all my questions there
    As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do. ~Ernest Hemmingway

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast