Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Preemptive trip report Pine Mountain Trail, GA

Headed up tonight to FDR State Park, GA to camp with the scouts. Planning a 18-19 mile trek on the Pine Mountain trail through Monday. Temps tonight to be about 22°, lowest I will have ever hung.

3 Season Incubator, 25° Kelty Light Year bag, Polypro long underwear and a hot water bottle. I should be fine.

Any quick comments on Pine Mountain Trail/FDR State Park are welcome.

I will post back Monday evening or Tuesday with proof, I mean pics.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Images
    Enjoy your trip. Looking forward to pics. Haven't been in that neck of the woods, yet.

Hammock
    BMBH, GT single para
    Tarp
    WB mamajamba
    Insulation
    walmart 40f bag UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie>togg>strap
    Images
    Sounds like a great trip. Have fun and stay warm!
    ...in it for pics.

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    its a great trail. i call it a mini- AT and when you are done with the trip, stop by at the restaurant and enjoy the food!!
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Am probably going to be hiking up there on Sunday morning. Nice trail, and the Pine Mountain Trail organization was successful in getting the planned burns stopped, so it should stay that way.

If you are looking for info, here is the link to the Pine Mountain Trail Association:

http://www.pinemountaintrail.org/

I'll probably be hiking the Long Leaf Loop Sunday. Was planning to stay out Sunday night, but my new winter UQ hasn't arrived yet and while my MMG Shamu is great down to the 45-50 range, I just can't stay comfortable in it below that . . .

Maybe see you out there. . .

Duane

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Thanks Duane, I've been there a few times before. Sunday we will (hopefully) be between Bethel Creek and Dead Pine campsites.

Hope we cross paths.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

Images
    Hey Buff.Skip, SteveBo has hiked there a number of times with hammocks. Maybe he will chime in?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Hey guys, Have a great time on the PMT! Its a great trail---you dont have to worry about your car being vandalized, its hammock friendly (I wrote them last spring, hammocks are very welcome!) etc etc. They take great care of the trail---the Pine Mountain trail association is very active. The only bad thing I could say about the trail, is the nightly fee (5 dollers per person) and the parking fee (5 dollers per car?) But its still worth it. I havnt done it yet, but if you join the Pine mountain trail association, (I think its 35 bucks a year)---as a member, you dont have to pay for campsites. Also, if you have access to a GA public library, you can check out a GA state park pass for a week. (I know its not a big deal, but I like to camp for free!)

If youre doing the long leaf loop, when you get to cascade falls/the wolf den, there is a name and a date carved onto the floor of the little cave at the base of the cliff---somebody from the 1930s I think. Also, along the cliff face, it looks like some one along time ago had some kind of metal brackets attached to the cliff face---its kind of fun to try to figure out what they were for! Anyway, have a great trip! Ive camped there dozens of times over the past 20 years and have never had any problems, 2 legged or 4 legged!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Went and did a nice 7 mile hike on the PMT this afternoon. Was hoping to hang tonight, but it seems that I didn't pull the trigger on my new Mt Washington 3-season early enough, and it didn't make it here on time. My current UQ is great, but can't keep me comfortable in the colder temperatures. . .For GA anyway

Met up with Buffalo Skipper on the trail and had the chance to briefly talk a little hammock-talk. Must say that it was a very polite group, and their trail etiquette should make their leader proud. If you're heading up this way again, let me know, kind of miss my old scouting days. . .

Anyhow, great day and the PMT was beautiful!

Duane

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Pine Mountain Trail trip report

Quote Originally Posted by Duane View Post
    Met up with Buffalo Skipper on the trail and had the chance to briefly talk a little hammock-talk. Must say that it was a very polite group, and their trail etiquette should make their leader proud. If you're heading up this way again, let me know, kind of miss my old scouting days. . .
    Duane, it was great to meet you. Sorry I only had a minute to talk, but I had to catch up with the gang. Thanks much for the kind words on the scouts. They have come a long way (literally and figuratively )

And now for the trip report. We arrived at the group camp just past midnight Friday, set up the scouts in the shelter, while the adults set up tents (and of course my hammock). Forecast was for 22°, and our thermmometers confirmed that. Lowest I have yet made it! I was cozy in the hammock. Cool at times, but not enough to keep me awake. We were up by 7am and the hammock came straight down. Sorry it was still dark so no pics the first night.

Our backpack group was myself, a 20 year old adult leader, and 6 scouts ranging from 11 to 14 years old. We hit the trail Saturday by 10:30 with pleny of icy snow on the ground. We put in at the radio tower (west end) and the parking lot was closed due to falling ice from the tower (from Sunday night's ice storm!). As we were setting up, one football sized chunk fell about 75' from us, so once we had our packs on, we walked around the upwind side of the tower (quickly!). We took the Beaver Pond connector trail to the PMT at Rocky Point, and on to Dowdell Knob for a late lunch. Then it was on to the Bethel Creek campsite. We hiked a total of 7.2 miles in sunny weather with a high of about 50°. Perfect hiking weather!

Nice campsite. Overnight lows were about 30°, and the hammock was great. Most of the scouts dropped out by 7:00 pm after dinner, but a couple stayed up around the campfire until 9:00ish.

Sunday, was more excellent weather, getting up to about 54°. We went just over 8 miles, fixing lunch by a nice stream with a 3' waterfall. After meeting Duane, we made a quick stop at the ranger station and headed into the Dead Pine Campsite. Water source was far from this campsite and barely a trickle (though the ground in the campsite was very damp from now melted snow), but sufficient to refill supplies for dinner and the hike out. It was another enjoyable evening, much warmer at about 38°. I was far too warm with my down bag and Incubator, and ended up shedding all of my insulating clothing layers (long underwear). After that I slept better.

The hike out was uneventful at 2.5 miles and completed in barely over an hour. The scouts did a great job, and they all have a great sense of accomplishment for completing the trek. I am becoming very comfortable with the hammock. That brings me up to almost 20 nights since October. I never want to have to go to the ground again!

Here are some pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast