Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

Adding A Internal Structural Ridge Line To A Warbonnet El Dorado

At the Red River Gorge Hang Out GrizzlyAdams brought his Warbonnet El Dorado (WE) and set it up for everyone to see. The WE has a very unique design and I was intrigued from the first time that I saw it; Not long after that I contacted warbonnetguy (Brandon) and got one from him. After placing the order with Brandon, he sent me these setup instructions:

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy
    the optimum ridge distance is 100". this is the measurement before the guylines are staked out, they will throw the measurement out of whack if the hammock is unweighted. measure once at first, to see what the sag looks like, you will need to set it with quite a bit of sag, a lot less than with the hh probably. it is also very easy to make an external removable ridge, just get a line with a tied loop in each end, 100" loop to loop, and slip the suspension ropes through the loops and slide it on and off. once you get the feel for how muchslack to hang it with, it's easy to set it up by eye.

basically, if you have too much sag, the netting will curve way down into the hammock (although it should still be tight) , and if you don't have enough sag, the netting will distort by showing end to end waviness/distortion. you want somewhere just before this happens. (observed from inside the hammock, these may not be noticeable till hammock is weighted)

you can definitely go without the guylines, if you use them, stake the foot one farther to the right than you would think, also, staking it farther away has the effect of holding it higher up, tying it to a sapling instead of the ground has the same effect, this raises the corner of the foot box up rather than pulling it down by staking it down steeply, this holds the netting up above your toes, and makes the foot box alot roomier.

the guyline on the zip side can be removed as well, un hook at the ring, unzip and use as camp chair.
    An external RL is all well and good, and would work just fine, but I wanted something on the inside of the hammock because not only would an internal RL help in setting up the hammock, but it's also great for storage and hanging things. After receiving the hammock, checking out the ends, and some more correspondence with Brandon about his whipping technique, I found a way to add the internal ridge line.

This tutorial will show 2 methods of adding a internal structural ridge line to a Warbonnet ElDorado (WE) hammock: One method will show you how to fish the ridge line through the whipping and the second method will show you how to take apart the whipping and add a ridge line that way.

Both methods of adding the ridge line (RL) are pretty simple, but the first method, fishing the cord through the whipping, is the easiest and the quickest of the two.

For both methods I will be using Amsteel 7/64 Spectra for the RL cord and I will be making use of the double overhand knot (DOK). You will also need to remove the suspension line to reveal the mason line whipping (pictured below). I will go in depth on the whipping in method 2.

Method 1: Let's go fishing...

This is the easiest, quickest method, but you will have to be dealing with fairly thin (probably 3mm or less) cord to be able to fish it through the ends of the hammock. If you are using larger diameter line you will want to go with the 2nd method.

I want to first talk about some terminology that I will be using in this tutorial. You can see in the picture below that there will be 2 knots on each end of the ridge line: the internal knot on the inside of the hammock and the external knot on the outside of the hammock. The whipping and suspension lines are situated between these 2 knots. This setup is very similar to the ridge line thingy I used in making my HH clone. The tension from the whipping and suspension is what hold the RL in place.

Start by tying the 2 internal knots on each end of the RL cord. These 2 knots should be 100" apart, with about 10-12" of extra line on each end. I actually made mine about 98-99” between the knots to allow a little for the line stretching. These knots are a double-double overhand knot. Tie the first DOK (1.) and then tie another right on top of the last one(2.). This will make a thick knot that won't pull through the whipping.

The only materials that you need for the fishing method is an 8+" wire tire and a small amount of duct tape. Before starting, cut off the large, locking end of the wire tie:

Unzip the hammock and start pushing the wire tie through the center of the whipping until it passes through to the outside of the hammock. The wire tie may get caught in the folds of the fabric so this may take a couple of attempts before it goes through. Be patient and gentle.

Wire tie starts in the inside...

...and goes through the whipping to the outside:

Next you will want to secure your RL cord to the section of the wire tie inside the hammock with a small piece of duct tape. Then slowly pull the wire tie, with the RL cord attached, through the whipping from the inside to the outside. The internal knot should stop when it hits the whipping.

Shot of the internal knot after pulling line through:

To finish tie another double-double overhand knot to form the external knot. This knot should be kept as close to the whipping as possible when tying. When you are finished it should look something like this:

Repeat all the steps on the other end of the hammock to finish adding the RL. When done replace the suspension lines and you are ready to hang
    Last edited by headchange4u; 06-13-2008 at 10:01.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

Whipping Method 2

Method 2: Whip it, Whip it real good.....

Fishing the RL through the ends of the hammock is quick and easy, and would work 99% of the time, but I wanted to take time to explore this whipping technique. Once I understood how it was done, I almost immediately thought that the WW would be an EXCELLENT technique to add a ridge line on a HAAB style hammock like an ENO, Ticket To The Moon, or Treklight.

In this section I will discuss taking apart and putting back together the whipping on the ends of the WE in order to add the RL. The WE uses a very unique whipping technique that I will refer to as the Warbonnet Whip (WW). In essence, there is a channel sewn on each end of the hammock, through which passes a piece of Mason Line. The Mason Line is used to cinch the end of the hammock into a donut shape and then wrapped around the hammock, just behind the sewn-in channel.

After you remove the suspension line from the hammock, you will see the Mason Line used to whip the hammock. On the hammock I got from Brandon, I was able to just untie the line to undo the whipping. Heres's a pic of the Mason Line after removing the suspension lines.

Once you have untied the Mason Line be sure to attach a longer piece of Mason Line to the end of the old piece so that you will have a long enough piece to re-whip the ends of the hammock. You can see in the picture below that I have the whipping untied, and a new piece of line duct taped to the old line and ready to pull through the channel at the end.

Here are a couple more shots af the end of the hammock once the whipping is undone:

This time you will want to tie 2 double-double overhand knots on each end of the ridge line cord, basically making the internal and external knots beforehand. There should be about 1-1.5" between the knots.

Now it's time to re-whip the of the hammock. Be sure that when to tie the whipping to place it between the 2 knots you just tied in the line. The first step is to cinch the end of the hammock tight, back into the original donut shape:

Next cross the Mason Line and take it around to the opposite side of the hammock:

Once you have the line around the opposite side of the hammock tie a Double overhand knot (DOK). Cinch it tightly.

Now take the lines back around the hammock and tie another tight DOK.

To finish the whipping tie a DOK on top of the one you just tied to secure the whipping.

The final step is to trim the mason line and replace the suspension line. You can see in the picture below that my whipping looks the same as the original whip.

I don't have any pictures of the WE with the added RL. I will post some soon.
    Last edited by headchange4u; 12-26-2007 at 21:13.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Braver man than I. I've been thinking about taking that whipping bundle apart, but haven't built up the nerve. I might have to give #1 a shot tomorrow, I'd prefer the RL to be inside the netting too. Thanks HC4U!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Braver man than I. I've been thinking about taking that whipping bundle apart, but haven't built up the nerve. I might have to give #1 a shot tomorrow, I'd prefer the RL to be inside the netting too. Thanks HC4U!
    I noticed you use an external ridge line on yours. Work pretty well for that hammock?

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    It works fine. I haven't made it permanent yet because I'm still fiddling with the length I like. But, I like the ability to use a ridgeline inside the hammock for things like boots. I've pretty much settled on 100" so I think I'm gonna give this a go.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    good close ups too. that cord you're using for the RL looks exactly like the bear bag cord i got from BPL.com.
    i'll bet it's the same stuff... & probably cheaper from the source.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

hack my Warbonnet

Thanks a bunch for this HC4U. I'm also intrigued by the Eldorado, but have been busy with other things.

I'm also grateful for you exposing the dark secrets of the WW. When I make a non-bridge DIY hammock for my 6-year-old this spring, I'm going to try that.

Grizz

Hammock
    homemade hand knotted
    Tarp
    Neo
    Images

Very detailed, nice... This should be in the article section

I think this should be in the article section. Very good description and detail in this post; easy to follow along. Thanks for being so thorough, it helps us newbies greatly.

Images
    nice job on the re-whip. was it pretty easy to thread the line through like you did on the first method?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    nice job on the re-whip. was it pretty easy to thread the line through like you did on the first method?
    The fishing method works very well. I took me all of 10 minutes to fish both ends of the line through the ends of the hammock and tie them off. Super quick mod.

www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast