WL Snipe
    Tarp
    HG4seasonCFw/doors
    Insulation
    Hammock gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Central WA Mid-Winter Hang, a success!

First off, I'd like to thank everyone who travelled so far. This was a lot of fun and could not have happened if you guys were not willing to travel so far to freeze your but off!

Jan. 7, 2011
    Lars and I meander down the trail at about 7pm. When we arrived at the aspen grove, we found Mugs and Tomjones already there. I set to putting up Lars's (my wife's for the next night) rig- a BMBH, Superfly, 3 season Incubator, and a JRB Rocky Mountain Sniveler; and my rig- WB traveler,1 Grizz Beak OES Delux in Spin UL, winter and summer Phoenix and winter Incubator. We visited for a couple of hours and crashed out. It was Lars's first time in a hammock and he reported a good night's sleep with an ever so slight cold butt. I slept well adding a layer on early in the morning. The temp dipped into the low 20's.

Jan. 8, 2011
    Lars and I headed out to have breakfast with our wives and gather the rest them and their gear for their night out with the rest of the HF members that joined us for our little invasion of Umptanum Canyon.

We arrived at around 1:30 PM discovering that half the group arrived and more were coming in right behind us. I gathered and cut wood for the fire we were about to light. Hulk and Mugs also brought wood from their stashes. We lit the fire at 3pm and it did not go out until the wood was gone and burnt to ash at 2am.

I cooked a home made vegetarian stew with dumplings and Lars and his wife brought Elk meat with gravy that was warmed on the fire. Home made Chocolate chip cookies and brownies went around for desert. I hope the person who brought those chimes in. They really hit the spot!

I could not hold out that long. I crawled into my hammock at around 9:30 pm and read comic books until I fell asleep. I could hear the other HF members laugh and tell stories from my hammock, which made me smile. The temps were in the upper 20's, an snow started to fall in the daylight hours of the morning.

A group of 9, after puling up our stakes, then headed off for breakfast at one of my favorite local restaurants. The Yellow Church Cafe serves one of the best breakfast menus in Ellensburg and was only 10 minutes away from the parking lot.

I felt that this was a success when others suggested that we do this again next year. We had a great turn out! And I am proud to say that no one died, froze to death or had to be buried in a shallow grave in the frozen ground. There was much laughter, stories and merriment to be had around or humble 11 hour fire.

Thank you again, everyone. I look foreword to reading stories from everyone else's point of view. I will post another video in a couple of days.
    Jose Diaz

Images
    Enjoyed the report and loved the preview movie.
    Looks like you guys and gals had a great time. Can't wait to see more.

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Thanks so much BUENOS for putting this on an coordinating it. A good time was had by all. I learned so much and had a great time talking with everybody. Too bad it went so fast. I will get some pics and a full TR on my end up in a few day s as well.

But I just wanted to say thanks so much for all that came and that planned it. Definitely gonna have to make this an annual event.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Loved the video, good job. Glad everyone had a good time .Like seein the BB burnin twigs
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba Silnylon
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps
    We all had a great time. Thanks Buenos for setting this up and bringing us all together. It was fun to see everyone's rigs and setups.

The campfire conversations were entertaining and laughs had by all. It's a fun experience to get together with near strangers, all with a common interest, and just get to know one another. I look forward to this becoming an annual event.

The only downside to the entire trip was that I've discovered about $500 worth of things that I now wish to purchase.

I didn't take any pictures myself, but I know a bunch were taken, and plenty of video. I believe that once editing is done, we'll see a bunch more footage depicting our experience. I look forward to seeing it all, again.

~Mindwalk

Yea i agree time flew by.

With short days and long nights, this is a place i would have been unlikely to visit in the winter. Yet it was a perfect choice. My only wish would be more time to explore in day light hours. I thinking i'm gonna have to revisit during the spring when the desert starts to bloom. Thanks for putting this on Buenos

I did not take many pic's as it got dark pretty quick, and i spent way way too much time fussing about looking for the least brushy spot to hang.
    Ended up with a branch occasionally prodding me during the night. Still beats sleeping on the ground.

I wonder what the sun set looked like from the ridge. This photo was shot pointed to the east. It's the reflection of the sun set.

Check out this custom UL Tyvek wrapped sit pad. Hey mugs, any plans on selling these to HF members? Group buy?

Hammock
    trying as many as possible
    Tarp
    a big one
    Insulation
    DIY poncho liner
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

too bad for those who did not show!

I had a great time. hopefully we can do one on the west side soon! The vegetarian stew was good and cookies and brownies always hit the spot. Can't wait to do this again!
    Last edited by mtneerman22; 01-10-2011 at 18:40.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Looks like a great time was had. Thanks for sharing everyone.
    Terry

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    cuben fiber
    Insulation
    down goodies
    Suspension
    The Force
    Images
    yes I will also put up my tr soon. sorry I did not make it to the cafe, I had to get back home by 2. My wife is to thank for the cookies and brownies. She said next time she will make more to bring.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    HG4seasonCFw/doors
    Insulation
    Hammock gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Here is my video report of the trip.

Thanks again, everyone!
    Jose Diaz

• + New Posts