Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

How to Keep Guylines Untangled in Packing

Hey all,

This may be a noob question, but please point me to a link or let me know how to keep my tarp guylines from tangling up.

Yeah, I know I could use snakeskins but I'm using those for the hammock right now. Do most people use two pair of Snakeskins? Before I order a new set, is there anything else that works. Generally I just throw the lines into the centre and then fold up, but when I get ready to reset up at night I'm spending a little too much time untangling. I am assuming the lines are left on the tarp, that's right isn't it?

I'll say it again, the greatest minds of our times seem to be writing Super Bowl ads and commenting on these hammock forums. Shame you guys aren't looking for cancer cures, leading our governments, and looking for a better electrical solution than at present where one slot is bigger than the other on the electrical outlet.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangandy View Post
    Hey all,

This may be a noob question, but please point me to a link or let me know how to keep my tarp guylines from tangling up.

Yeah, I know I could use snakeskins but I'm using those for the hammock right now. Do most people use two pair of Snakeskins? Before I order a new set, is there anything else that works. Generally I just throw the lines into the centre and then fold up, but when I get ready to reset up at night I'm spending a little too much time untangling. I am assuming the lines are left on the tarp, that's right isn't it?
    Greetings Hangandy

Most people do use snakeskins on their tarp. It helps in deploying the tarp in windy conditions. It also makes packing the tarp quicker.

In order to prevent the guy out lines from tangling, this is what I do. My lines stay attached to the tarp (except for the ridgeline) and I figure 8 coil each cord and then use one of those velcro cable ties to secure the bundle. Other methods include using rubber bands or those elastic hair things that women use. Some tarps haves pockets in the corners to store the lines.

There are many solutions to this problem, best to keep it simple.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

Thanks Brian

I know what to do with that roll of velcro ties I bought, just hope the velcro crops can hang in there for a few more years.

Check out the link on the Velcro situation :

http://home.inreach.com/kumbach/velcro.html

I think in reality I'm gonna just bite the bullet and buy another set of snakeskins.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    + 1 on Brian's figure-eight solution for the lines. One advantage of this is that you can pull line out of the bundle without snags. The elastic fastener is better than velcro because it maintains tension on the bundled line as line is removed and the diameter shrinks.

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    I also figure 8 my lines. Then I roll up my tarp and put velcro loops around the tarp. Unclip it from the CRL and stuff it away.
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    i do not do the figure 8. i thought it looked cool and gave it a shot but it took me too long to wind and i find it unnecessary. i simply wrap around my hand until there is about 2 feet of guyline left, then turn it perpendicular and wrap the rest of it around the existing loop. tuck it the last little bit and i'm done... takes me about 20 seconds per guy, and it never tangles. learned it here from someone...

after i'm done with that i wrap up my tarp with 2 of the guylines and tuck them in (making it a long skinny tube) then simply stuff into a blackbishop sack. haven't found the need for snakeskins...

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    There has been at least one thread on this in the last year - why don't you try to find it? I can't remember but this is it, I think:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...light=frapping
    There may be another one.

I "frap" my lines so there are no extra pieces to keep up with. Once the line is wound up, you wrap the end around the line bundle several times and slip a knot in it (pull a bight under the last wrap). Then when setting up, the whole thing comes open with just a pull on the bitter end. Peter Pan explains it better in the thread above.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I hank my cordage which is basically repeating a figure-8 around a thumb and small finger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4Xdf...eature=related

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    [QUOTE=Hangandy;385878]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangandy View Post
    How to Keep Guylines Untangled in Packing
    I figure 8 coil my lines and throw them in.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    So far, with both my Clark tarp and my big 10x12 winter tarp, this is what I do... When I pack it up, I start at one end and simply roll it. At the same time, I'm grabbing up each guyline and just bunching it up and rolling it into the tarp. When I get everything more or less rolled up and I'm at the other end of the tarp, I'll stuff that into it's stuff sack. The last thing to go in is the line that ties the tarp to the tree. When I next pull the tarp out, there's the tree line on top, which I tie up first. Then the rest unrolls and the guylines just fall out. No major issues with tangles.

TinaLouise

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast