HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    30D Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Biner/Des Rings
    Images
    I like Shugs idea of haveing a small piece of CCF to put under your feet. Also comes in handy when your sitting on the ground or even to soften up a rock.
    -----------------------
    Wherever you go=====
    =======There you are
    ----------------------

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcatcarl View Post
    im going out again this weekend with my ss. i used it this past weekend and my feet were cold. my space blanket also moved around a bit. there were winds tho of 50 mph and it was 0 degrees with windchill. i wasnt the warmest but my bag was only good for 30. ill let you know in a few days how it goes. its suppose to be in the mid 20s. i have a 15 degree bag synthetic. i also sleep with clothes on.
    Whoa! You did zero ( Fahrenheit ?) wind chill- in 50 mph winds- using a 30F bag- and all you had was cold feet? What was the actual temp, not counting wind chill? Did you use a space blanket?

Sounds to me like you did GREAT! Was this one of the new SS buys from the current sale? We need to get a thread going to see how all the folks who bought one are doing.

I have recently noticed that the knee area pad loop on mine are about 1 foot too close to the foot end. This causes a gap that might lead to cold legs or feet. I find mine is working better by not running the HH side tie out cord through the pad loops, contours to legs much better. Even better, running a cord from the pad right side loop up to my RL ( I have no net), this works perfectly.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    Hennessy so far
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Muletape web/rings
    used mine at the PA Marion Brooks Hang last weekend and it worked great. 5f bag with fleece liner. I will have to check but I think we had 17f at night. No cold feet or butt.

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition, Scout, DIY
    Tarp
    asym
    i used a space blanket. i mean i was cold but considering what i was working with i was expecting to be colder. i had a layer of under armor and then pants. just some zip at the knee wind proof ones. i was able to sleep but woke up every couple of hours. i think that duct taping the space blanket in place would help. it tended to move around. this time i have a ccf pad im gonna put under my feet. it was one of the new ones. i just got it prolly last week.

Hammock
    Blue Mammoth Ultra
    Tarp
    Blue Mammoth Cave
    Insulation
    Mammoth Belly
    Suspension
    Mammoth Straps
    I really like the SS. I like the versatility of it. The problem with most UQs, is that they are just that, UQs. Nothing more (in regards to sleeping in the hammock. I know some of the JRB quilts are wearable) If you need more insulation underneath, you buy another one.
    With the SS, you can put whatever you want in the undercover to add more insulation. You don't have to keep with the included pad. You can store your coat, extra clothes, etc. underneath of you each adding extra warmth. This is stuff you would be carrying with you anyway, so it is actually a pretty efficient system.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but you could even put an UQ in there as well, if you so desired. The combination of the two should give you quite a bit of insulation. I have thought about that a bit and I would love to try it out. I'm even tempted to pick up a down comforter from overstock.com or somewhere like that for $25-$30 just to try it out. It wouldn't need to be anything incredible for testing purposes...

Anyway, there's my $.02. I believe Shug and his buddy (I forget his name) still have the record for cold weather hang (-26 I believe?) and his buddy was using the SS. So, both are good systems, just depends on your preference. You have a HH, so, my opinion, you can't go wrong with the SS.

Enjoy!
    Roll the bones_00

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcatcarl View Post
    i used a space blanket. i mean i was cold but considering what i was working with i was expecting to be colder. i had a layer of under armor and then pants. just some zip at the knee wind proof ones. i was able to sleep but woke up every couple of hours. i think that duct taping the space blanket in place would help. it tended to move around. this time i have a ccf pad im gonna put under my feet. it was one of the new ones. i just got it prolly last week.
    Thanks for the info. Not that the most basic HHSS was ever advertised to be warm way below freezing anyway. More like just into the 30s, though easily augmented for lower temps. But, as to the cold feet, observe how the leg end is working for you as far as that foot end pad loop being ( on mine) a good foot too far towards the pad foot end and away from the UC exit holes and hammock elastic tie out points.

Any one else noticed this? It causes way too much tension on the pad loop, pulling it away from the foot end and causing the pad to "buckle". Which results in a gap under my legs, which could lead to cold legs or feet. I have not noticed being cold, but temps have been pretty warm since I got mine. Mine works way better by not running the elastic cord through the loop on the foot(right) end.

Of course, no reason not to use a leg pad in any hammock/quilt to boost warmth, since I usually have one with me any way.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've used my SS down to about 15 w/o any problems. I keep thinking about getting a UQ but so far haven't really found a reason to spend the extra money. I can't see cramming the pad in with the snakeskins, though.

BB, I'll have to see about the pad pulling away. I haven't really paid attention.

Hammock
    HH explorer ASYM
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH SS & thermarest
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    I got the SS or 4 season insulation system and have to say Caveat emptor.

I find it totally worthless

I called HH to complain and they did not seem to even care.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Quote Originally Posted by AA1PR View Post
    I got the SS or 4 season insulation system and have to say Caveat emptor.

I find it totally worthless

I called HH to complain and they did not seem to even care.
    Are you setting it up correctly? I'm sure somebody here can help you out. You could also sell it here on the forum if you wanted to. Or....you can send it to me and I'll make good use of it.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    3 season incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

SS

I recently had a chance to try out the SS and it did keep me warm into the 20's one windy night with the pad and space blanket.

Someone mentioned stuffing other materials in the undercover, has anyone used an extra sleeping bag in there and what would be the difference with that compared to an UQ.

Im leaning towards an UQ for ease of use, I didnt like having the set up multiple things to stay warm. Space and weight not an issue for me at this time.

Thanks for any input.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast