HH Explorer Ultralite
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag/pad
    Suspension
    Stock

Best size OES MacCat for Explorer Utralite

I recently purchased an Explorer Ultralite and although I haven't had a chance to use it too much, I love it so far. I am however considering purchasing a new tarp for it. It seems like OES makes high quality tarps and everyone here seems to like them, so I would like to purchase a MacCat. The problem I have run into is which size to purchase. It seems like the standard size MacCat is about 2 feet shorter than the Explorer UL's stock tarp. Although I don't have any problem going up to a deluxe or ultra for better coverage, I still want to kept it relatively lightweight. Soooo, long story short, I was wondering if anyone out there has an Explorer UL with a MacCat tarp, and if so, what size do you use and what kind of conditions do you use it for (for example did you go for the standard and use it as a summer tarp where not as much coverage is needed)? Also are there any other tarps for this hammock that anyone would recommend?

Thank you in advance for any help

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Same Setup

I've got the same explorer ultralite and I went with the OES MacCat Deluxe. I e-mailed Brian back and forth a bit before deciding on the deluxe. This will mainly be my summer tarp but living in FL that's about 10 months of the year.

I picked up a rectangular Oware tarp in trade that I'm hoping to modify into a passable winter tarp. It has enough tieouts down the edges that I can secure three on each side and still fold the corners in like doors. It's not as good as adding doors to my MacCat but the price was right.

I rigged up a continuous ridgeline for the MacCat out of zing-it and a pretty secure prussik setup using some smaller cord and s-biners. It seems to hold very securely and is easy to deploy and repack.

Good luck with the tarp. I don't think you'll be disappointed with a MacCat in any size.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralite
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag/pad
    Suspension
    Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    I've got the same explorer ultralite and I went with the OES MacCat Deluxe. I e-mailed Brian back and forth a bit before deciding on the deluxe. This will mainly be my summer tarp but living in FL that's about 10 months of the year.

I picked up a rectangular Oware tarp in trade that I'm hoping to modify into a passable winter tarp. It has enough tieouts down the edges that I can secure three on each side and still fold the corners in like doors. It's not as good as adding doors to my MacCat but the price was right.

I rigged up a continuous ridgeline for the MacCat out of zing-it and a pretty secure prussik setup using some smaller cord and s-biners. It seems to hold very securely and is easy to deploy and repack.

Good luck with the tarp. I don't think you'll be disappointed with a MacCat in any size.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Now, with the MacCat would I be able to attach it to the stock prussiks on the HH and without using a continual ridgeline? Also do you have an idea of how much the Deluxe weighs compared to the stocky HH tarp?

Images
    2 feet? Well, that surprises me. However, I did use a dlx ( beautiful tight tarp! ) with my Expl UL, and I thought it was just a little marginal. I know others feel that even the standard is more than enough. But I was a little disappointed with the length on this longer hammock. My stock HH tarp ( the "napkin" as they are called ) was actually a good 5" longer.

Now of course the Mac is hex cut rather than a diamond, so there is a lot more side coverage than with the stock tarp. And it pitches 10 times tighter and much more quiet in the wind. Still, that hex cut combined with a shorter length resulted in much less improvement on end coverage than I had been anticipating. With the tarp tied to the trees, once the hammock sags with my weight, that hex cut left things not as covered as I had been hoping. Still better than the stock tarp, and maybe good enough. Keep in mind, I am describing the deluxe.

Now my JRB also has an 11 foot length. Still shorter than my HH diamond tarp. But more coverage than either Mac dlx or HH stock. ( then again, it is heavier) The reason is the rectangular cut on the ends, rather than Hex or obviously a diamond. ( it is still cat cut on the sides, but the ends are pretty much straight cut edges) So, there is, IMO, a lot more end coverage. Of course, a larger Mac cat would achieve the same coverage at about the same weight.

Another nice alternative is, at the same weight as the JRB, the HH Hex. Though Hex cut, it has a 12 foot length. Lot's of coverage, but at the same price I would take a JRB or OES/MacCat because of the cat cuts and better wind stability.

Or for probably even better coverage than any of them, a smaller OES tarp and a GrizBeak or 2 from 2Q! Or just add a Grizbeak to your stock HH tarp!
    Quote Originally Posted by phatdan View Post
    ............ Now, with the MacCat would I be able to attach it to the stock prussiks on the HH and without using a continual ridgeline? Also do you have an idea of how much the Deluxe weighs compared to the stocky HH tarp?
    You certainly could attach to the Prussicks, but most folks advise attaching to treees for a much tighter pitch. Some people attach one end to the Prussicks, the other to a tree. There is no need for a contiual RL unless you just want one. It will pitch tight as a drum without any extra RL.

I Think my DLX weighed about 2 oz more than my Explorer UL diamond tarp. But my JRB weighs about 8 oz more than the stock HH.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-08-2011 at 00:01.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralite
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag/pad
    Suspension
    Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    2 feet? Well, that surprises me. However, I did use a dlx ( beautiful tight tarp! ) with my Expl UL, and I thought it was just a little marginal. I know others feel that even the standard is more than enough. But I was a little disappointed with the length on this longer hammock. My stock HH tarp ( the "napkin" as they are called ) was actually a good 5" longer.

Now of course the Mac is hex cut rather than a diamond, so there is a lot more side coverage than with the stock tarp. And it pitches 10 times tighter and much more quiet in the wind. Still, that hex cut combined with a shorter length resulted in much less improvement on end coverage than I had been anticipating. With the tarp tied to the trees, once the hammock sags with my weight, that hex cut left things not as covered as I had been hoping. Still better than the stock tarp, and maybe good enough. Keep in mind, I am describing the deluxe.

Now my JRB also has an 11 foot length. Still shorter than my HH diamond tarp. But more coverage than either Mac dlx or HH stock. ( then again, it is heavier) The reason is the rectangular cut on the ends, rather than Hex or obviously a diamond. ( it is still cat cut on the sides, but the ends are pretty much straight cut edges) So, there is, IMO, a lot more end coverage. Of course, a larger Mac cat would achieve the same coverage at about the same weight.

Another nice alternative is, at the same weight as the JRB, the HH Hex. Though Hex cut, it has a 12 foot length. Lot's of coverage, but at the same price I would take a JRB or OES/MacCat because of the cat cuts and better wind stability.

Or for probably even better coverage than any of them, a smaller OES tarp and a GrizBeak or 2 from 2Q! Or just add a Grizbeak to your stock HH tarp!

You certainly could attach to the Prussicks, but most folks advise attaching to treees for a much tighter pitch. Some people attach one end to the Prussicks, the other to a tree. There is no need for a contiual RL unless you just want one. It will pitch tight as a drum without any extra RL.

I Think my DLX weighed about 2 oz more than my Explorer UL diamond tarp. But my JRB weighs about 8 oz more than the stock HH.
    Thank you for the thorough response. You've given me a lot to think about! Does the MacCat come stock with the cord I would need to tie it to the trees instead of prussiks? Would make sense to maybe get a standard (maybe even in Spinn if I'm feeling like a real weight weenie) or maybe deluxe for summer/spring/fair weather camping, and then purchase one of the higher coverage tarps (Ultra, JRB, HH Hex, etc.) later this year for winter camping/when I'm expecting foul weather?

One more question. Does the MacCat have somewhere to attach the side tieouts of the HH like the stock "napkin" does? Or would I be better off not attaching them to anything, or maybe attaching them to the guylines/guyline stakes?

Thanks!

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I have a MacCat Deluxe, and I think the size is just about right. I use'd it last summer with a Trek Light double hammock, and will use it this year with a WB Traveler as well. Both are 10ft. long, gathered end hammocks. I found the coverage to be good, and prefer the hex shape to the diamond shape for better side coverage. I am currently having permanent doors added by 2QZQ as this will be my 3 Season tarp. I don't do any winter camping at this point, but may in the future, and this tarp should be ok for that as well. I also have a much bigger 12X15 OES Cat cut tarp that will be used this year as a base camp shelter on river trips, and may be a good winter tarp in the future??? The OES are very well made tarps. Brian does good work.
    Other tarps to consider ...... Edge or Superfly from Warbonnet, ShangriLa or Alpine from AHE. These are all good tarps, with slightly different dimensions than the OES tarps.
    Things to consider ..... what will be your main use for this tarp (summer, 3 season, winter, all of the above)? Do you want side pull outs, doors???? Most tarps don't come with tie-out or ridgelines, as these are very individual user choices.
    Some pics of the MacCat Deluxe in action.
    KJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you are looking for lightweight a Standard in spinn is a great option, or max coverage with a Ultra! It's all really on what you are looking for, size, weight, options, etc..!

I have a MC Deluxe and have used it over my HH Hyperlite and find it has provided perfect coverage! You can find pics here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...hp?albumid=413
    Last edited by Cranky Bear; 01-08-2011 at 09:19. Reason: link to pics added
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by phatdan View Post
    Thank you for the thorough response. You've given me a lot to think about! Does the MacCat come stock with the cord I would need to tie it to the trees instead of prussiks?
    No, but 6 guy out lines is an option that adds $10 and 2 oz.

Would make sense to maybe get a standard (maybe even in Spinn if I'm feeling like a real weight weenie) or maybe deluxe for summer/spring/fair weather camping, and then purchase one of the higher coverage tarps (Ultra, JRB, HH Hex, etc.) later this year for winter camping/when I'm expecting foul weather?
    Well, there are many ways do this successfully. And you mention a couple.

If starting with a smaller tarp ( even the HH diamond) consider this ( as opposed to buying 2 tarps- although that is a good plan also!):

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/id64.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMTd9z5ReEs

One more question. Does the MacCat have somewhere to attach the side tieouts of the HH like the stock "napkin" does? Or would I be better off not attaching them to anything, or maybe attaching them to the guylines/guyline stakes? Thanks!
    Not exactly, but you can just tie to the MacCat side tie outs. Works especially well if using a hiking pole to elevate the tarp porch style.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    Phatdan,

Great suggestions so far, and keep in mind I do any kind custom work you may be interested in as well - I've made plenty of MacCat Deluxe's with 12' ridgelines in the past with great success.
    Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralite
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag/pad
    Suspension
    Stock
    Thanks a lot for all the great responses and pictures everyone, I have so many options to choose from now!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Phatdan,

Great suggestions so far, and keep in mind I do any kind custom work you may be interested in as well - I've made plenty of MacCat Deluxe's with 12' ridgelines in the past with great success.
    Brian, about how much would you charge for a custom MacCat with the same coverage as a standard or maybe a little more, and an extended ridgeline in either Silnylon or Spinnul?

• + New Posts