WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    How are you attaching that to your hammock?

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images

I first passed it through the end of my hammock, then did a locked brummel with a short bury. The fixed eye is about 9 inches in circumference, and the tail is about two inches buried. This is the middle string on the right. It goes up and around the marlin spike, comes back down (this is the top string), buries into the fixed eye about a half inch past the brummel, and exits the fixed eye about a half inch before the brummel (the bottom string. If the bottom string looks taught in the picture, it's not. It's just draped over something.

The main purpose of the fixed eye is that it keeps the bury in the channel of the hammock, ensuring that the load is on the bury. It also keeps the outer sheath taught (milked). Finally it keeps tidy an otherwise dangling end.

The fixed eye is really redundant. It would not be necessary if you are careful to always make sure the load (hammock) is over the bury. If it is not, it will not hold. (Trust me, I tried it. Zip, plop. lol.)

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    I first thought to name it after myself, but realizing that it was an untested idea, and possibly a bad one, I reconsidered. Then Opie told me it was a Loopie-Sling. But really it's somewhere in between a whoopie-sling and a loopie-sling but made with lash-it, so I hereby name this the Sloopie-Wing-It.

nah, cancel that.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 3club View Post
    I first thought to name it after myself, but realizing that it was an untested idea, and possibly a bad one, I reconsidered. Then Opie told me it was a Loopie-Sling. But really it's somewhere in between a whoopie-sling and a loopie-sling but made with lash-it, so I hereby name this the Sloopie-Wing-It.

nah, cancel that.
    LOL!! I say stick with it.

Next time Im in BC to work at the MIL's, Ill have to come check that out. It looks, interesting.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Not sure I get how you're rigging this.

If it helps any, here was another discussion on loopie slings.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Figured I'd bring a Zombie thread back to life just to ask how the Lash-It Loopie Sling suspension is holding up. Did it fail? If so was it the Lash-It or the Sloopie-Wing-It? Did the thin diameter of the Lash-It cut through the hammock fabric? Or are you still getting use out of it. Or did you decide to replace it with something else? Enquiring minds want to know.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    Figured I'd bring a Zombie thread back to life just to ask how the Lash-It Loopie Sling suspension is holding up. Did it fail? If so was it the Lash-It or the Sloopie-Wing-It? Did the thin diameter of the Lash-It cut through the hammock fabric? Or are you still getting use out of it. Or did you decide to replace it with something else? Enquiring minds want to know.
    The Sloopie-Wing-It worked just fine. It was plenty strong enough, and if ever I go back to using slings, that is the design I will use again. However, I have replaced it with old-fashioned straps and D-rings from WarBonnet.

My reason is this: Straps around the tree are a given. A two foot wide tree is over six feet in diameter. Plus from there you need enough webbing for the marlin spike hitch. So, I consider ten foot straps on each end to be the minimum I'd carry. Actually, mine were 12'.

Of course, Lash-It is extremely low stretch, less than the webbing, so it was the majority of my suspension. Therefore, the marlin spike hitch was always as close to the tree as possible. To be prepared for trees 30' apart (yes, I've done it), you need another dozen feet of sling on each end. I actually used 20, which was overkill. A 20' sling uses 40' of Lash-It.

All totaled, I was packing around over a hundred feet of suspension to be prepared for worst likely scenario tree distance/diameter. When the trees were smaller and closer, I had bundles of string dangling around for me to trip over. By going to just straps only, I've got less excess. I'm still prepared for long distance or big trees, though not both. (Still, I could always improvise something else on the fly.)

But possibly a greater reason for the switch was that the slings held too good. They didn't slip at all. In fact, they had a tendency to bind up, even with only a four inch bury. I found myself fighting with them for too much time during setup, in the rain, in the dark, with skeeters buzzing and biting my knuckles. D rings are simpler and hold just as well.

Bottom line: slings are neat and fun and make a nice conversation piece, but since you need lots of strap anyway, I just decided to go straps all the way.

One final however: If I could eliminate the straps and just wrap the strings around the tree, I'd go back to my Sloopy-Wing-Its because they were cool. But I'm a tree hugger.

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    Oh, one last thing, no it didn't cut through the hammock material. In fact I am still using a small 6" loop of Lash-It connecting the D-rings to the hammock. No problems whatsoever.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    So would you say that ordinary whoopie slings from the Lash-It would work just as well, or do you think they would bind up worse?
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    I think the binding situation would be the same. I use the 1.75mm. I've heard that the 2mm is a little looser.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast