Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 3club View Post
    Man! That stuff is tough to splice and to cut!
    Sharp scissors or a razor blade on a cutting board works well.
    For a splicing tool I use a fine wire that is doubled over, making an eye on the end. Remember the taper on the end of the rope, it really helps.
    From there its patience and practice.
    Good thing about splicing, if you don't like it, undo your work and start over.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    Thanks. Yeah, I bought some scissors at the bait store for spectra fishing line. Works fine on whole lash-it, but still doesn't do much for cutting individual strands when tapering. I'll try the razor/cutting board. Thanks for the tip.

I'm going to be trying some crazy stuff, things you experienced people probably already know are bad ideas! lol
    Last edited by 3club; 06-11-2011 at 10:33. Reason: typo

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images

It Works!

Yay! I'm happy to report that, at least for me, the Lash-It makes a working hammock suspension, although my design is non standard.

*Note from my lawyer (or would be if I had one) Don't try this at home. I take no responsibility for the consequences of anybody being stupid enough to follow my advice. My "working" suspension I'm sure uses a lot less of a safety margin than many would find acceptable, and you should listen to the sound advice of the more experienced members of this forum than to me!

I want to post more info later about my modified suspension when time allows, which I believe overcomes a few of the shortcomings of the whoopie-slings, while admittedly introducing one new one.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Yay! I'm happy to report that, at least for me, the Lash-It makes a working hammock suspension, although my design is non standard.

*Note from my lawyer (or would be if I had one) Don't try this at home. I take no responsibility for the consequences of anybody being stupid enough to follow my advice. My "working" suspension I'm sure uses a lot less of a safety margin than many would find acceptable, and you should listen to the sound advice of the more experienced members of this forum than to me!

I want to post more info later about my modified suspension when time allows, which I believe overcomes a few of the shortcomings of the whoopie-slings, while admittedly introducing one new one.
    You should have used Dynaglide. A bit smaller diameter, yet 2 fold stronger.

But I say this prior to seeing your design.

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    You should have used Dynaglide. A bit smaller diameter, yet 2 fold stronger.

But I say this prior to seeing your design.
    I did consider the DynaGlide, but I didn't see any smaller diameter, only the 2 mm. I am using the 1.75 mm Lash-It. The DynaGlide I found, while slightly larger, did have a much better strength/weight ratio (according to the specs), but the real deterrent was the bright orange or green color selection. I do like the discrete neutral grey of the Lash-It.

But back to the strength, I don't understand why two ropes, both made of the same material, would have such different strength to weight ratios.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I did consider the DynaGlide, but I didn't see any smaller diameter, only the 2 mm. I am using the 1.75 mm Lash-It. The DynaGlide I found, while slightly larger, did have a much better strength/weight ratio (according to the specs), but the real deterrent was the bright orange or green color selection. I do like the discrete neutral grey of the Lash-It.

But back to the strength, I don't understand why two ropes, both made of the same material, would have such different strength to weight ratios.
    Lash It is small diameter Dyneema.

Dynaglide is a heated and pre-stretched Dyneema. The heating, stretching and cooling process decrease the finised diameter and increase the strength, I believe, by better aligning the molecules that make up the fiber.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Still looking
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Man! That stuff is tough to splice and to cut!
    I don't have any dyneema cord yet, but I use the Ultrashear if I need to cut 550 cord or biltong. It uses standard utility blades. One of my favorite tools!

http://www.superknives.com/products/ultrasheer.htm
    (don't let the url fool you about the spelling -- I guess the web developer can't spell)

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images

no time, so here goes

I had intended to take pictures of my setup, but if I wait until I have time to do that, it will probably be another month. So here I'll try to explain my thoughts using only words:

As I see whoopie-slings, they have two drawbacks: 1.) they add a minimum distance from hammock to tree, and 2.) they require twice the length of rope, without doubling the effective strength of it.

1.) The minimum length of a whoopie-sling is mostly the sum of the lengths of the buries of the two eyes.

2.) Throughout most of the whoopie-sling, the rope is really doubled up, dispersing the load across two ropes. So the strength of each loop is almost twice the strength of the rope of which it is made. But at the little tiny length between the two buries, there is only a single rope, and so the strength of the sling as a whole is limited to the strength of that section, the strength of the rope.

And then there was a loud rumbling, a blinding light, and voices in my head. Next thing you know, I'm putting the bury of the adjustable loop inside the section that is the fixed eye. Now the fixed eye no longer bears any weight and its bury can be very short. It could be done away with from a load bearing perspective, but it does still serve a new purpose. Now with the length of both buries almost removed from the equation, the minimum distance from hammock to tree becomes no more than the length of the fixed eye loop, which mostly goes through the end of the hammock itself. Minimum distance becomes almost nothing.

And now that there is no length "between the buries", the load bearing portion forms a continuous loop, and the weight is always divided by two ropes. So effectively you double the strength of the sling as a whole.

By doing so, I have slept for about a week now on 400 pound Lash-It, with no accidents. *Past performance is not an indicator of future success.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I had intended to take pictures of my setup, but if I wait until I have time to do that, it will probably be another month. So here I'll try to explain my thoughts using only words:

As I see whoopie-slings, they have two drawbacks: 1.) they add a minimum distance from hammock to tree, and 2.) they require twice the length of rope, without doubling the effective strength of it.

1.) The minimum length of a whoopie-sling is mostly the sum of the lengths of the buries of the two eyes.

2.) Throughout most of the whoopie-sling, the rope is really doubled up, dispersing the load across two ropes. So the strength of each loop is almost twice the strength of the rope of which it is made. But at the little tiny length between the two buries, there is only a single rope, and so the strength of the sling as a whole is limited to the strength of that section, the strength of the rope.

And then there was a loud rumbling, a blinding light, and voices in my head. Next thing you know, I'm putting the bury of the adjustable loop inside the section that is the fixed eye. Now the fixed eye no longer bears any weight and its bury can be very short. It could be done away with from a load bearing perspective, but it does still serve a new purpose. Now with the length of both buries almost removed from the equation, the minimum distance from hammock to tree becomes no more than the length of the fixed eye loop, which mostly goes through the end of the hammock itself. Minimum distance becomes almost nothing.

And now that there is no length "between the buries", the load bearing portion forms a continuous loop, and the weight is always divided by two ropes. So effectively you double the strength of the sling as a whole.

By doing so, I have slept for about a week now on 400 pound Lash-It, with no accidents. *Past performance is not an indicator of future success.
    Sounds like what youve made is called a "Loopie Sling"....

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images

they stole my idea!

LOL, this sounds like a movie I saw once, where a customer in a diner places a long, complicated, special order, and the waitress shouts it back to the cook as a "number fourteen", or something like that!

Yep, I just looked up loopie sling, and it looks functionally pretty much like what I came up with, except that they skipped the fixed loop all together, and left it hanging off the side. I guess I'm a day late and a dollar short!

However, I am comforted to know that if it's already a tested and named thing, then it must not be the crazy "bad" idea I was initially afraid it might turn out to be.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast