JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RevT View Post
    Thanks Slowhike,

Where else have I seen your handle? Are you on the Hammock Camping Yahoo group? I've seen a sig like yours there.

Brian
    yep, hammockcamping yahoo group.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    I have not done it down hill before just up hill. I lived just north of the springs for a number of years and my company was one of the major sponsors for a benifit hike called the Pikes Peak Challange. It was a hike to raise awareness of Brain Injury. Picabo Street was our honary chair woman. I am not sure they still do it but it was in Sept. The idea of hanging at the A fram hut at timberline is great the view would be spectacular. If you had the means to get a ride back you could possibly do an up and over and have someone grab you from one of the other trail heads.

Do keep in mind you are talking about 14,000 ft summit elevation and you are from KY. nothing will put a damper on your hike quicker than alt. sickness and it sometimes effects people at elev as low as 9 to 10 thousand feet so just know of this and be smart.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When I was at the AF Academy we'd sometimes have parents get altitude sickness, and that was only 7200'. We also had a girl die of HAPE in the mountains...we only averaged around 9000' for that trip. Sasquatch is right - definitely read up on altitude issues when planning a trip at altitude if you're coming from near sea level.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    When I was at the AF Academy we'd sometimes have parents get altitude sickness, and that was only 7200'. We also had a girl die of HAPE in the mountains...we only averaged around 9000' for that trip. Sasquatch is right - definitely read up on altitude issues when planning a trip at altitude if you're coming from near sea level.
    Yep yep! First trip to Pike's Peak as a kid (13) my dad sent me to the car to get the camera. When I came back he had a look on his face I've never seen before or since. He grabbed me and ran to the car. He drove like a race car driver down the mountain. I passed out on the way down (I thought I was just tired). I asked him what happened and he said I looked like a smurf! He said my entire face was a shade of blue/purple. Only thing I wanted to know is why he didn't take a picture?!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    WB Buckles
    So, any tips from anyone on preparing for the altitude? Anyone here ever come from sea level and done a hike like this?

I did spend 3 years in Provo, UT for law school and understand the different feeling at altitude, but this will be much higher than when I hiked the "Y". That was not too bad, just noticed more fatigue, etc.

I was thinking about getting something like a mild asthma med from my doc to increase oxygen capacity on the trip . . . other than that, getting in shape before going is the only other thing I can think of. I'll probably schedule a bunch of overnighters in the RRG and go over and back on Misery Hill a BUNCH!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    As long as you aren't coming from sea level you'll probably be fine; just out of breath.

You can GREATLY reduce the effects of altitude sickness by spending 24-48 hours in Colorado Springs before heading up. Drink lots and lots and lots of water; NO BEER! The better hydrated you are the happier you will be. Aspirin for the headache doesn't hurt either.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Drink lots of water - especially b/c Kentucky is humid and CO is dry even at lower altitudes. You should be peeing every half hour or so while you're active. Dehydration accelerates altitude sickness and makes it more acute.

Acclimatize. Limiting activity as you acclimatize helps...which isn't really consistent with hiking, but fits perfectly with hammocking! Maybe spend a night at ~7000' before you hit the top. (Hotels in Colorado Springs are ~6000'). And take it easy once you start hiking...overexertion can accelerate altitude sickness b/c your body is already starved for oxygen.

The biggest thing is just knowing the signs of AMS, HAPE and HACE - and that the only cure is to descend.

Diamox can help, too. But planning to rely on meds to get you thru is a bad plan, IMO...maybe get some for emergency use if you can't descend at night or something.

Edit - Cannibal beat me to a lot of it. I agree with his first sentence - just monitor yourself and know what the signs are and you'll probably be fine.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

I found this web site a long time ago and added to mine...

http://www.tannehillclan.com/colorad...wtopic.php?t=7

Pretty good article on Altitude Sickness.

You might even think about staying in Woodland park for a night, its around 8000 feet maybe. Say spend one night in COS, on the N end of town, (its higher) LOL, then the next night camping in Woodland Park, or a motel, then go for PP on the third night, if you have that much time.

Another Option is coming at it from the back side. Its only 6 miles up that way I think. I'd go in through the crags campground, and that would give you a night at 8000 or so feet, then hike over the hill, and down Barr trail.
    http://jemez.org/lam/64.html

Here is a report at 14ers.com
    http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripre...&cpgm=tripmain

and others reports about PP.
    http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripmain.php

Brian
    Last edited by RevT; 12-24-2007 at 13:07. Reason: forgot something...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    WB Buckles
    This is what I love about our group on this forum . . . tons of good advice and counsel . . . and ALL in the best spirit!

Thanks for the great advice. Everyone have a great holiday. I'll keep you all posted as we prepare for and tackle Pikes Peak!

E

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big E View Post
    This is what I love about our group on this forum . . . tons of good advice and counsel . . . and ALL in the best spirit!

Thanks for the great advice. Everyone have a great holiday. I'll keep you all posted as we prepare for and tackle Pikes Peak!

E
    take care & Merry Christmas! we'll be looking forward to hearing about it!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast