Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 9X9
    Insulation
    Wiggy's UQ & SB
    Suspension
    straps, PL on RL
    Images

Polar pod dimensions

Does anyone have the Polar pod? How big is it? weight? packed size? Does it have more loft than the pea pod? Would it be a better choice to use around a WB Blackbird hammock (with the sides not pulled out) than the peapod?

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yakrs4 View Post
    Does anyone have the Polar pod? How big is it? weight? packed size? Does it have more loft than the pea pod? Would it be a better choice to use around a WB Blackbird hammock (with the sides not pulled out) than the peapod?
    Hey yakrs4,

The PolarPod is 10'6"L x 7'6"W. It weighs 48.5 oz It will pack into a 16L comp. bag (16" x 8"). It has the same loft as the PeaPod (std.) We do have an overstuff option. It would be a better choice due to the extra width.

Cheers, Dale
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    Clark NX150
    Tarp
    OES 12x15, SF
    Insulation
    MW4, NO Snivler
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Hi Darby,
    Will the polar pod fit over larger hammocks with ridge lines, and bug nets?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 9X9
    Insulation
    Wiggy's UQ & SB
    Suspension
    straps, PL on RL
    Images
    I'm going to do some measuring this weekend and see what circumference would work best for a pod around an occupied blackbird. I do wonder about the length of 10.5 ft being too long for the BB length of 101 inches, even allowing for some sag and expansion in every direction when surrounding the BB. I'll try to guesstimate that too. I'm expecting the Polar pod will be plenty big enough. More to come.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Say it does cover the complete Blackbird....won't there be a HUGEACIOUS amount of space to heat inside?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 9X9
    Insulation
    Wiggy's UQ & SB
    Suspension
    straps, PL on RL
    Images
    I'll call it the "Great Room" for its hugeaciousness. I like using my PL over the ridgeline and net already. I know it just won't be as thermally efficient as a smaller dead space. We'll test it with multiple PLs at near zero and see how much warmer the space is. We'll call it the PMPP (poor man's peapod)...but certainly not as poor as if I actually buy one. The polar pod should do even better due to no areas of nylon not being insulated. I prefer the BB for the footbox, and I like the idea of full pod, so I'm exploring.

Images
    I use a regular PeaPod over a WBBB. But of course, i unzip the net and push it to the side as much as possible and do not even attempt to close the pod over the RL. It goes under a RL, then it is usable. A fair amount of gap on the right side(by the shelf) and very little gap on the left. Really quite functional depending on what you want to do and what temps and what extra insulation, etc. If you want plenty of top room it is great. But that is obviously not going to get you the max temp efficiency for the weight. Irrelevant if you are going to fill that space with top quilt/clothing anyway, or if it is not going to be all that cold. But it would be much more weight efficient to use the PeaPod with a narrow no net hammock like the Claytor, with which it mostly drapes down right on top me.

But it appears the PolarPod is 1.5 feet longer and 1.5 feet wider than the 9x6 PeaPod. I still would not want to try to put that over a RL, unless temps allowed for it. But I imagine with the net back and closed under the WB RL, it will drape down on top pretty well, both sides and head to toe. Plus, with the narrow no net hammocks, it should provide a ton of extra room for adding quilts/clothing for severe weather.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KayakCarl View Post
    Hi Darby,
    Will the polar pod fit over larger hammocks with ridge lines, and bug nets?
    The PolarPod will close up around the ends of a SRL (leaving most of the SRL exposed). It will not work with bugnets that are sewn on one side such as the Claytor, HH (without zip mods). It is designed to go around the hammock body & drape over you. The bugnet must be out of the way. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Dale

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I use a regular PeaPod over a WBBB. But of course, i unzip the net and push it to the side as much as possible and do not even attempt to close the pod over the RL. It goes under a RL, then it is usable. A fair amount of gap on the right side(by the shelf) and very little gap on the left. Really quite functional depending on what you want to do and what temps and what extra insulation, etc. If you want plenty of top room it is great. But that is obviously not going to get you the max temp efficiency for the weight. Irrelevant if you are going to fill that space with top quilt/clothing anyway, or if it is not going to be all that cold. But it would be much more weight efficient to use the PeaPod with a narrow no net hammock like the Claytor, with which it mostly drapes down right on top me.

But it appears the PolarPod is 1.5 feet longer and 1.5 feet wider than the 9x6 PeaPod. I still would not want to try to put that over a RL, unless temps allowed for it. But I imagine with the net back and closed under the WB RL, it will drape down on top pretty well, both sides and head to toe. Plus, with the narrow no net hammocks, it should provide a ton of extra room for adding quilts/clothing for severe weather.
    I had thought about using the Pod in this manner, but I wasn't sure how it would work. This is one of the things that makes HF so awesome, folks experimenting with gear in ways some of us wouldn't normally think of and then sharing it with everyone.

Cheers, Dale

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 9X9
    Insulation
    Wiggy's UQ & SB
    Suspension
    straps, PL on RL
    Images

Too cold to test

Temps at -15F last few days. I skiied today but need to hang at a more reasonable temp to see what a pseudo polar pod will do. Weatherman says warming trend ahead.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast