Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    My local Feed store carries the Hi-Yield brand of permethrin
    Does that stuff say how long its supposed to last after applied?
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    ENO Ember and Bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    Does that stuff say how long its supposed to last after applied?
    Permethrin should stay for a dozen washes or so in practically any kind of fabric or clothing. It's also very stable in fabrics and some commercially treated fabrics can remain effective for years!

Permethrin breaks down quickly when it comes into contact with our skin which is why humans don't have any issues with it. It's best used by treating the outmost face of outer layer clothing. Bare skin is best protected with a deet product.

Permethrin interferes with an insect's nervous system and can even cause death in some insects (ticks). Deet interfere's with a predatory insect's ability to sense carbon dioxide and body odor and acts purely as a repellent.

It's effective against practically any kind of insect. Spiders and fleas are rarely included on product labeling but permethrin acts to ward them off/kill them too.

Another thing to keep in mind is that permethrin is highly toxic to cats and if over applied can harm other animals too including dogs. So the safest bet it to store treated gear away from housepets and to use care when applying while following reliable treatment instructions to the letter. (AKA more is not better it is dangerous to household animals)

If you're allergic to chrysanthemums, you may find that permethrin causes hay fever or skin irritation. But as I understand it those are generally considered extreme reactions even amongst those who are allergic. Most people don't have any issues.

http://www.petplace.com/cats/permeth...ats/page1.aspx

That should cover most of what you need to know.

Hammock
    WBBB dbl. 1.7
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    High BMI
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Good job on the math yardman! Permethrin is a very safe insecticide (IMO), as I deal with much more potent stuff all the time. I must add that the link is only one brand of the permethrin. Anyone should be able to find this stuff and make their own. I really dislike skeeters, ants, spiders, and the like and knowing we can lower the problems so easily is cool.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    LARGE!
    Insulation
    DIY Bag UQ
    Suspension
    Nacras an Whoopies
    Firstly, I apologise for the metrification. I cant be bothered converting and its all the same math, but I digress....

Ok, so I want to treat my hiking gear and my clothing for field archery in permethrin soak.
    Im tired and I dont want to mess up the math, so Im not gunna do this until one of you nice people can help.

I have a 25gram sachet of 250gram/kilogram permethrin 25:75 powder.

Dr Debs soak http://www.thetraveldoctor.com.au/permethrinsoak.pdf
    Is 500grams per litre, made up for use at the rate of 20ml into .6 to 1.75 litres of water depending on the item to treat. (see link)

My reckoning says that at 250g/kg, 25grams of powder = 6.25grams of permethrin.

Dr Debs is 500g/litre, with a 20 millilitre dose into say 1 litre of water.
    So 20ml at 500g/litre = 10grams of permithrin, into 1 litre, makes the recommended dosage.
    So if 10grams go into 1000ml, the ratio is 1gram of permethrin to 100millilitres of water.
    So if I mix my sachet with 625 ml of water, I have the correct soaking dosage for my mosquito net/ hammock.
    Diluting the 10/1000 solution remaining to 10/4000 by volume will give me the correct dose for my clothes. According to Dr Debs mix.

All is good, I think.

Thoughts/Comments?
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I have another question...
    I'm planning a hike for the scouts to the Neusiok trail the end of march. The last time we went there, we were infested with ticks. Can I make up some of this into a spray bottle and spray the scouts gear (backpacks, boots, clothes) with it, on the day of the hike?? Not enough to soak, but just a light spray to keep the critters off??? Hoping this will work because none of the scouts will have their gear treated beforehand.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    NeoAir All-Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    I have another question...
    I'm planning a hike for the scouts to the Neusiok trail the end of march. The last time we went there, we were infested with ticks. Can I make up some of this into a spray bottle and spray the scouts gear (backpacks, boots, clothes) with it, on the day of the hike?? Not enough to soak, but just a light spray to keep the critters off??? Hoping this will work because none of the scouts will have their gear treated beforehand.

TinaLouise
    Spray bottle is OK, but you must allow it to dry thoroughly before starting the hike. It's toxic to some animals when wet (birds, fish, etc IIRC), but once dry, doesn't leech out of fabrics if it becomes wet again (e.g. from streams or rain).

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    great, thanks for the info. I can spray the gear when we pack it into the car and it can dry while we're driving to get to the trail.
    TinaLouise

I cant say I have ever tried it, but I would worry about a horrible smell if you sprayed a ton of gear and put it in a car wet. (not to mention possible health issues with all that vapor trapped in a confined space)

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Rhino
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    ...and your clothing, and your pack! Spiders freak me out; really freak me out. The thought of grabbing my pack in the morning and digging in it only to find a spider, or having a spider crawling across it just gives me the willies. Having my pack treated gives me piece of mind against those 8-legged servants of satan.

Glad to hear I am not the only one!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Tina, it's one thing to buy pesticide at a feed store and use it on yourself, but quite another to hose down someone else's children with it. I don't know the solution to this conundrum, but it's certainly something to think about.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast