Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Insultex Insert with SnugFit?

I have a Speer Snugfit that I'm using with my double layer WBBB and I was looking for an option to extend the range of the SnugFit if needed. Most of my camping will be at or above 30 F, the rating of the SnugFit, but if I'm out when the forecasted low temperature is right at that mark, I want to plan for slightly colder so I'm not surprised. I've caught a few posts regarding using an Insultex (IX) insert, but it wasn't clear to me exactly what I should expect out of it or the best way to use it.

My plan was to either put the IX insert between the layers of the WBBB or between the Snugfit and the WBBB. Would one of these be these best way to utilize the insert or would there be a better approach? Would this compress it to much to provide much insulation? Would it be better to just use a plastic bag as a vapor barrier for what I'm trying to do and skip the insert?

Realizing warmth can be somewhat subjective, what can I realistically expect out of a single IX insert? I'd like to be covered down to 20 F.

Thanks!

~Dan

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Friendly bump. Insultex inserts? Anyone? I know some have experimented with them.

~Dan

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I've just ordered some IX and will start my "testing" soon. I will be testing with a double layer BB. So no answers from me yet. I would guess though that putting the IX between the two BB layers may (???) not leave enough of an air gap for the IX to properly work. If you already have some IX, try it out and see how it works and post back here on what you find out.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks, TinaLouise. No IX here yet. I was going to order the IX insert from Tree To Trail Gear, but was holding off for feedback here. I'm surprised MacEntyre hasn't chimed in on this one at all.

~Dan

Hammock
    diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    mac is on the road from the frozen butt hang in MN give him a few he will.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I am interested in thins also, Bump
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

I have used my IX insert and on a different occasion used my full length IX UQ from TTTG between my WBBB and Snugfit when the temps were in the teens. I just loosened the suspension on the Snugfit a tad to allow a little room for the insert and was quite warm. As a note, I was also using an overcover.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images

test results

I recently tried a underpad made of three layers of Insultex with 1.1oz RSN shell overnight in 40* with 15-20 mph winds. The project is to create a vest that opens on the sides to layout as a 3/4 pad that I can slip between the layers of my double-layer hammock. As a vest, it keeps me warm. As a pad, it was bearable, but not comfortable. I feel that 50* would probably be the comfort zone for it now, but I have yet to try it. The two areas that I want to work on are finding a way to make the pad wider without making the vest look horrific; and finding a way to create airspace between the layers of Insultex without adding a lot of weight. The vest/pad now weighs 6 oz. I'm also thinking of trying a layer of mylar in there somewhere. Perhaps another 6" of width and a layer of mylar would do the trick. I'd like to get this to work for me down to 20* and weigh no more than 8oz. I am hopeful

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmike65 View Post
    I recently tried a underpad made of three layers of Insultex with 1.1oz RSN shell overnight in 40* with 15-20 mph winds. The project is to create a vest that opens on the sides to layout as a 3/4 pad that I can slip between the layers of my double-layer hammock. As a vest, it keeps me warm. As a pad, it was bearable, but not comfortable. I feel that 50* would probably be the comfort zone for it now, but I have yet to try it. The two areas that I want to work on are finding a way to make the pad wider without making the vest look horrific; and finding a way to create airspace between the layers of Insultex without adding a lot of weight. The vest/pad now weighs 6 oz. I'm also thinking of trying a layer of mylar in there somewhere. Perhaps another 6" of width and a layer of mylar would do the trick. I'd like to get this to work for me down to 20* and weigh no more than 8oz. I am hopeful
    IX works best trapping some air between the layers. Using several layers as a pad is no better than an ultra-thin pad... Maybe you want a 4-layer vest you can open up into a 2-3 layer UQ. From what I've heard here, that 20-degrees is pushing IX for even 4 layers... others may chime in, though.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll be ordering more Insultex ;o)

• + New Posts