Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah - I use the soft-sided Nalgene canteen so it forms to my body. Like me some snuggling heat!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    What I need next is a tube tapered on one end, just like a hammocksock but with Insultex---reach down and pull it up and over you type of thing.
    An IX Bivvy Sack is an invitation for condensation, IMHO. It will help that you are not breathing into it, but any overheating at all will result in condensation.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    ..........Yes, I believe so. It is open on top.

No... not with a PeaPod. I velcroed my PeaPod to the edges of the hammock. It is open on top.
    Oh, I see! Well, that is different!

MMan was able to close his PolarPod over his Snugfit. I believe a closed PolarPod with a Snugfit inside will take you lower than -25, but I have no way of proving that!.......

Speer PolarPod is wider and longer.
    So, MMan has a PolarPod? He would be the 1st I know of!

For clarity I have a normal 30F PeaPod that has been modded with the addition of 6oz of 900FP. The down was added to all the channels EXCEPT the two channels abutting the velcro closure.
    So, is this your SuperPod? Or do you have a PolarPod? (If not, Man, some one needs to buy and test a PolarPod!

MMan:
    In test fitting (we don't want any down compressed right) I attached the Snugfit normally but making sure it was snugged to the bottom of the Traveler with me in it. My Snugfit is the universal-per Mac I simply used bungie to lace the universal nylon tabs (after I get in I cinch it up to waist level, via toggle button). My Peapod goes completely around the Traveler and Snugfit with no compression EXCEPT for where it drapes on each side of the hammock.....so 1/4 inch of compression maybe running down the sides of the Traveler; it is compressing due to its own weight.
    I've said that the PeaPod drapes onto the occupant when in a Traveler----this is not completely true, it drapes mostly on you but there is still a small air gap. This gap is removed completely with the Winter Mamba; with a JRB No Sniveler there is still a 1-2 inch gap.
    Does the Pod lay closer to you before you start adding Snugfits? I have noticed that when adding enough insulation in the bottom, it puts more tension on the pod and lifts it up. Kind of the same effect as a deeper, wider hammock.

MMan:
    I spent an hour in the system this mid-morning at 35F....there is no way I'll be able to deal with 0F even with this setup without a heat source. I was warm mind you but never near overheating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Holy cow...seriously? At least you'll be strong from carrying all that extra gear to keep you warm! Hope you find something that works for you.
    Yeah, seriously? Well, I guess you must be a world class cold sleeper, eh?

So, is no one going to try a space blanket inside the pod right under the hammock?

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Yes I am going to put a space blanket between the Traveler and the Snugfit....Griz suggested it and if Griz says jump I ask how high.
    But I have to shop for a space blanket....the only one I can find up here is the big thick weighs a ton space blanket with the grommet holes/red color on one side with aluminum grid on the other.
    I think what he suggests is the 2 ounce space blanket of the thin mylar type, but I could be wrong.
    I'm also guessing this will act as VBL on the bottom and a heat reflector.

OK, test packing the Zyklon B, I could get everything into one large LLP cylinder except the W.Mamba. The Mamba will go into another large cylinder with the camp clothes.

Zyklon B=final solution= SuperPod, Snugfit, (space blanket when I find one),Traveler,JRB Hood

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    But I have to shop for a space blanket....the only one I can find up here is the big thick weighs a ton space blanket with the grommet holes/red color on one side with aluminum grid on the other.
    I think what he suggests is the 2 ounce space blanket of the thin mylar type, but I could be wrong.
    I've found the ones by Adventure Medical Kits to be plenty sturdy. Mylar, yes.
    I'm also guessing this will act as VBL on the bottom and a heat reflector.
    The heat reflecting is exactly the point. And yes it will be a VBL, which is why it needs to be between the hammock and any down.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456