Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Being born and raised in Chapel Hill

Spent many a evening sitting on the wall and visiting town hall for a beer or two or three in my younger days.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Spent many a evening sitting on the wall and visiting town hall for a beer or two or three in my younger days.
    So those velcro changie thingies have no effect on you either, right?

Have a great New Year!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Mac - I just used the PeaPod and Winter Yeti last night, just like you're planning to use it here. Worked great for me...I think this is a great system for subzero temps. Didn't have any cold spots.

My only real critique of the PeaPod was that it insulates a lot more volume than you need to stay warm, which makes it inefficient. That's definitely true at 20-50F or so, IMO. At lower temps like this when we're adding UQs inside it, though, it may just be worth all that extra coverage. Single digits and lower is not a place to cut corners on insulation, I agree.

Interested to hear how it works for you, and also how the IX setup works!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Mac - I just used the PeaPod and Winter Yeti last night, just like you're planning to use it here. Worked great for me...I think this is a great system for subzero temps. Didn't have any cold spots.

My only real critique of the PeaPod was that it insulates a lot more volume than you need to stay warm, which makes it inefficient. That's definitely true at 20-50F or so, IMO. At lower temps like this when we're adding UQs inside it, though, it may just be worth all that extra coverage. Single digits and lower is not a place to cut corners on insulation, I agree.

Interested to hear how it works for you, and also how the IX setup works!
    Here's my theory on that excess coverage. Some have reported being warmer with the pod approach( most especially with narrow hammocks) than with similar weight/loft separate UQ/TQ combo. ( But not comparing to short UQs used with leg pads here, just talking full length)

My guess on that has always been the "excess coverage" which allows the pod to "seal" not only on the ends, but completely along the sides, even when the pod is open a good bit on top. Even with the Velcro open a good bit, the pod still drapes over the edges of the hammock. So there is little opportunity for cold air to rush in down below. And on top there is relatively little opportunity for draft when the thing is closed up.

Of course the gap on top hinders maximum top warmth, unless filled with something. But the more narrow hammocks mostly do away with this problem.

Boy, an MW4 as a TQ inside the pod with a Yeti underneath! (from your recent test) WhooBuddy! I can see how there would be no way to fully close the pod.

My record is still a measly ~10F(11?) from a couple of years ago when I first got the pod. With the (NOT narrow) Speer which caused a pretty good size top gap. This was with the addition of a space blanket under the hammock. And a summer weight synthetic bag as TQ. And my usual slightly puffy clothing. I was OK. Just barely, if mem serves. But, I had to close the pod completely about 0500 before I could get toasty, which I did then. Condensation was not a significant problem, not noticeable. Might have been on a longer trip unless I had the chance to soak up some Sun.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Mac - I just used the PeaPod and Winter Yeti last night, just like you're planning to use it here.
    Did you close the PeaPod the normal way, enclosing the hammock and Yeti, or did you leave the PeaPod open?

If you leave it open, you need a way to hold up the edges. Easy with a Speer using the velcro.

I can't wait to give it a try in MN!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Mac This looks like a great idea I'm interested to see how it works out. And man do I loath for that peapod. One Day
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Did you close the PeaPod the normal way, enclosing the hammock and Yeti, or did you leave the PeaPod open?
    I had too much down inside it, so it wouldn't close. (Winter Yeti on bottom and MWUQ4 as TQ). It was velcro'd to about 6" or so above my head, and probably up to my knees...so it was open over most of my body. The sides didn't sag enough to cause a problem...I tucked them between the Yeti and the hammock. They popped out a bit but didn't really sag, probably b/c there was so much down in there.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post

If you leave it open, you need a way to hold up the edges. Easy with a Speer using the velcro.

I can't wait to give it a try in MN!
    Jeff answered me on the his thread about new lows to say that there was no closing the pod in a normal fashion with all that extra down. What with yeti below and MW4 on top, that's a ton of extra loft alright. Jeff's words:
    I had too much down around me to close the PeaPod. It was closed from the top down to about 6" above my head, and from the bottom to just above my knees. Other than that, it was wide open. Never got a cold spot or anything.
    (Temp estimated between minus 11 and minus 15F.)

But my guess is that, even "wide open" over his torso, there was still some "drape" over the edges near the torso, and of course complete drape over the hammock edges below and above torso. So cold air would still be blocked from sinking around the sides, putting unlimited cold air underneath.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl layer.
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Look forward to hear about your test...
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    That's a good point. It's like fingerless gloves vs gloves vs mittens. Most UQs are like a glove, and work well until your extremities get cold. The PeaPod is like a mitten, and works best when it is very cold. The full coverage to eliminate leaks and cold extremities.

Insulating hammocks is about providing resistance to heat loss, not preventing heat loss. We generate far more heat then we could stand to keep. The UQ is merely a resistance to heat loss, and we need to lose the heat.. just not too fast. The colder it is, the more insulation we need to maintain our comfortable rate of heat loss. (Sorry.. couldn't help it. I'll stop now.)

You're right... single digits and lower is no place to cut corners. That's why Thing1 get the PeaPod at Mt Rogers, and I get to make do! (Until this year, when I get the Snugfit!)

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast