Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS

lightest possible fabric I could use for this?

I recently made a single layer 1.1 ripstop hammock to replace my, well used, 1.9 single layer. I've always used a pad (no underquilt yet) for bottom insulation. I've used both CCF and inflatables. I like the flexibility the inflatable offers for sleeping on the ground if needed/desired.

I upgraded to one of the NeoAir pads during one of the holiday sales. I love the pad, but the material it's made of is NOT slippery. While a good thing in most situations, it's kind of a pain to keep it on a diagonal access while getting into the hammock.

The obvious solution is a double layer hammock, right? Well that would negate the weight savings of switching from 1.9 to 1.1 nylon fabric.

So here is my question... Is there something lighter I can use for the 2nd layer to hold the pad to the bottom of the hammock? I'm think a netting might be lighter than the 1.1. I'm considering Cuben fiber too, but I can't quite convince myself that a vapor barrier hammock body is OK. I always sleep on a pad anyway, so maybe it would be though. Cuben is also pretty expensive. I was hoping to not have to use "exotic" materials, but I'm not opposed to it either. If I do use something like Cuben, I might just make both layers out of it. I think the CT0.6K.08 would hold me, especially as a double layer.

I'm already placing an order for some cuben fiber this weekend, so I could order extra if this is the best option. What other ultra light fabrics could be used for a hammock body? I think making a double layer with one strong fabric to hold me, and another just for holding the pad in place sounds like a good idea. I think netting will provide a lot of bang for the buck. Anyone have any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, recommendations?
    Life is hard? Compared to what?

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    How about building a light sleeve for the pad instead of adding a layer to the hammock. You could use light nylon or taffeta non-coated for the sleeve; or you could go full out and build a SPE to hold all the pieces of a CCF system in place.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    How about building a light sleeve for the pad instead of adding a layer to the hammock. You could use light nylon or taffeta non-coated for the sleeve; or you could go full out and build a SPE to hold all the pieces of a CCF system in place.
    That would be a whole lot cheaper than a double layer cuben and still do the job!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    ANd what fabric would you use? I like the SPE idea. I actually made a test version of one several years ago to hold pieces of CCF. I liked the concept, but I didn't use the lightest fabric out there and my pockets were a little to big. It worked, but the CCF "wings" would slide out sometimes.

I'm not real hip on the idea of using 2 layers of Cuben. I just want the lightest fabric I can find since it isn't really holding my weight. I just need something to smash the pad up against me. That's why I was considering bug netting. It's light and stretches a bit, but then how would I make it tight?

I guess I just want to know what are some of the lightest fabrics I can get my hands on? I brought up Cuben because I'm already ordering some for other projects.

Thanks for the replies

Edit:
    The more I think about it, I'm liking the SPE idea. It had crossed my mind a few weeks ago, but based on my previous experience I had dismissed it. I'm hiking the PCT in 2011, so that's why I'm remaking a lot of my gear. I had been considering carrying 2 pieces of CCF to use as a sit pad during the day and for "wings" at night. hmmmmmm.... the mental gears are turning. I still want to find lighter fabric than the 1.1 nylon.
    Last edited by hikelite; 12-29-2010 at 14:13. Reason: addition

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    There's the new 0.5 oz/sy momentum to thru-hiker.com but it's almost as expensive as cuben at something like $28 per yard and it only comes in day-glo orange color for now. More colors to com, and I certainly hope the price comes down too.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Momentum 50 (10 denier) is .7oz finished weight for 21.95/yd.
    Momentum 90 (20 denier) is 1.05 finished weight for 13.59/yd.
    OWF also has a 20 denier ripstop for 10.10/yd and a 20 denier taffeta for 9.89/yd.

Big price jump to save those last pesky ounces.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    There's the new 0.5 oz/sy momentum to thru-hiker.com but it's almost as expensive as cuben at something like $28 per yard and it only comes in day-glo orange color for now. More colors to com, and I certainly hope the price comes down too.
    And I'm limited to 5 yds.
    I already contacted Paul at Thru Hiker. He said he will have more available in the Spring, but too late for me to make gear for the PCT in 2011.
    I'm going to order my 5 yds, but I'm not using it for a hammock body :P
    I'm planning to use it for a top quilt. I haven't decided if I'll use it for both sides, but I'm leaning towards a black interior of the M90 taffeta.

I'm liking the SPE idea a lot. I'd just like something lighter than 1.1 nylon.

I never used to be a gram counter, but a thru hike sure changes the way you think about your gear!

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Momentum 50 (10 denier) is .7oz finished weight for 21.95/yd.
    Momentum 90 (20 denier) is 1.05 finished weight for 13.59/yd.
    OWF also has a 20 denier ripstop for 10.10/yd and a 20 denier taffeta for 9.89/yd.

Big price jump to save those last pesky ounces.
    I didn't notice that OWF had that! Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I've ordered from them a couple times. I like them

hmmm so it's .9 oz/yd too?

Thanks PapaSmurf, I think I'm going to order some of that and play with it.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Thanks for correcting my figures on the momentum, PapaSmurf!

I use a lot of OWF's 20 denier taffeta. The finished weight on that is 1.16 oz/sy on my gram scale. I really like the stuff and can't tell the difference between that and the momentum from thru-hiker, as I have used both (although I'm not sure it's coming from the same manufacturer).

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    if the OWFinc stuff comes in at 1.16 it isn't the same as M90 which comes in at 1.05, but i use it way more and love it a bunch. I like that you can get wholesale from them without being a business, well it used to mater to me.

If you just want something crazy light to hold the pad use tulle, it is lighter than the lightest cuben and cheaper than the cheapest nylon, and locally available.

-Tim

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast