DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'll put in my .02. I work in a munufacturing plant where we try to compete with imported products. We are in an area where wages are not particularly high...more workforce than jobs, and no lobor union. Still, the only two ways we can compete is to make our product for equil or less than the cost of shipping from China or other opressed country or our customer needs a relatively unique product more quickly than it can be obtained through the import process. Our product is heavy (glass) so the shipping time and cost is more. Even though wages here are relativly low, many of the furniture workers made little more than minimum wage, the furniture and textile industries which once thrived here are almost gone. With hammocks and other outdoor gear being light and compact the shipping cost is minimal. The hammock in question is somewhat unique in it's features and therefore not as likely to be mass produced for cheap import sales.
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

I have the Clark NA, and paid more than $275 for it.
    I love all its features and love the fact that its made in Utah as opposed to Asia. I think that alone is worth the price and I dont mind paying it if those are the reasons for its cost...but I am not entirely sure that is so.

Isn't Speer made in North Carolina? He has great customer service.

I recently got a Claytor hammock shipped to me from Thailand and it was under $100. I was not aware that it was imported prior to purchase and that may have affected my decision.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I'm confused by the comparison. Are you saying the Clark NA comes with insulation? I didn't see that indicated. Or are you saying the empty pockets insulate enough you don't need insulation?
    I was joking that the pockets on the Clark and the HH super shelter seem to not work as well as say an UQ. I have a Clark UL and do not have enough to fill one pocket with extra clothing etc. while on a hike. While the pockets sound great on a hiking trip they are not used very much. Car camping or base camping it may work to put extra clothing etc in for insulation. Also the Clark Tarp makes a great weather sheild by its design. I have found that if it is cold enough to use the weather shield it is too cold to rain so dropping the tarp down to use as a weather sheild will not cause any problems. This is the reason I do not think the weather shield on the NA is necessary.
    Last edited by hangnout; 12-18-2007 at 19:08.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Price is a function of supply and demand. If Clark is selling at a capacity he's happy with, the price stays high. If he wants to sell more, the price will come down, at least until it's no longer profitable. Unskilled labor (like sewing) is so much cheaper in a places with HUGE unskilled workforces (like China)...so again, it's supply and demand. They'll take jobs at what the market will bear, while US workers demand wages higher than the market can bear...so the jobs go overseas or the business go bankrupt. If you want to buy American products, you have to be willing to pay the price premium...and many folks are, which is why folks are willing to pay more for a Clark, and which is why JRB and Speer get kudos for keeping their production in America.

One thing I've heard about, but never actually heard anyone with personal experience about, is being warm into the 20s w/o a pad or underquilt. Clark says you can use the insulation that's already there, and maybe some inflated sandwich bags, down to 20 or so. Never heard of anyone actually doing it, though. And I'm very skeptical.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    while US workers demand wages higher than the market can bear...so the jobs go overseas or the business go bankrupt.
    I would strongly argue that it's not the workers that are making the big bucks here. Move it offshore, skip out on U.S. taxes, etc. There's a lot more going on here.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Probably true...business is mainly about profits, whether it's profits of employees or profits of employers.

How 'bout we get back to Clarks specifically?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sounds good to me.

Back to the thread. why so expensive?, take two.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Price is a function of supply and demand. If Clark is selling at a capacity he's happy with, the price stays high. If he wants to sell more, the price will come down, at least until it's no longer profitable. Unskilled labor (like sewing) is so much cheaper in a places with HUGE unskilled workforces (like China)...so again, it's supply and demand. They'll take jobs at what the market will bear, while US workers demand wages higher than the market can bear...so the jobs go overseas or the business go bankrupt. If you want to buy American products, you have to be willing to pay the price premium...and many folks are, which is why folks are willing to pay more for a Clark, and which is why JRB and Speer get kudos for keeping their production in America.

One thing I've heard about, but never actually heard anyone with personal experience about, is being warm into the 20s w/o a pad or underquilt. Clark says you can use the insulation that's already there, and maybe some inflated sandwich bags, down to 20 or so. Never heard of anyone actually doing it, though. And I'm very skeptical.

Read some of my posts about what I have done. I think i posted it here as well but im not sure and I dont want to cross thread for an other site but here it is.http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Clark-...ks/message/208
    Last edited by cavediver2; 12-19-2007 at 10:38.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Hennessey hex
    Insulation
    RW quilt, GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings.
    Images
    One thing I've heard about, but never actually heard anyone with personal experience about, is being warm into the 20s w/o a pad or underquilt.
    I took the North American out in October. The overnight temps were in the high 50s with almost constant, strong winds. I was quite warm on top using a 40 degree bag as a quilt, but I had to put in a pad after an hour or so because my backside was freezing. I was wearing running shorts and a short-sleeved REI MTS shirt. I'm a very warm sleeper.

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    Another reason USA is typically more expensive is the regulatory oversight that US manufacters are subject to (OSHA, EPA, etc.....) This adds to overhead which gets passed down to the customer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast