View Poll Results: Have You Used a Vapor Barrier Layer (VBL)?

Voters
468. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, although my clothes/insulation got really wet!

24 5.13%
  • Yes, I think they work great.

95 20.30%
  • No, I am skeptical that VBL's work at all.

35 7.48%
  • No, I've never really looked into VBL's.

314 67.09%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by oms121 View Post
    Yep. That’s them! Glad they produced the catalogs when they were young!
    I stumbled across one online last week when I first started looking for VBLs. I was a little taken aback, now I can’t find it again!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oms121 View Post
    Yep. That’s them! Glad they produced the catalogs when they were young!
    I think that was from the nudist Mom and Dad founders. I think the son runs the company now and I do't think they do that any more, at least not from what I see in their online catalogue. I believe they have also moved from NH to CO But, I don't see any changes in the products for many years.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    I stumbled across one online last week when I first started looking for VBLs. I was a little taken aback, now I can’t find it again!
    You mean the nudist stuff? You saw that last week? I don't recall seeing that for a while now.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    You mean the nudist stuff? You saw that last week? I don't recall seeing that for a while now.
    Yeah, I’m not sure how I stumbled on it. It looked like an older version of the site.

Images
    In general, the idea is to have a VB between you and all layers of insulation. Because, as you experienced, whatever is between you and a VB will tend to get wet. Most will sacrifice a very thin layer of fast drying long johns between skin and VB, even though it will get damp, just because a VB feels pretty unpleasant against bare skin. That first layer will get damp, but all layers of thick insulation will remain bone dry, even if you have another sil-nylon water proof layer around all of the insulation.

Or the Stephenson's Warmlite VB clothing has a fuzzy layer on it meant to go against skin. The VB socks cost $8 and shirt $25. You won't be wearing these out to dinner and a date, they look pretty crappy. But they sure work, and you don't need to bother with a thin layer.
    I have a suggestion: Though I think they have increased in price since I got one, still fairly cheap compared to what folks often spend on gear: gamble $60 on a Warmlite VB shirt. ...................
    As you can see from my post from a while back at the top(post #60 in this thread 10/21/2012), they certainly have gone up a lot since I got mine- from $25 to $60. Almost tripled! Oh well, I would probably still pay it just to get the fuzzy stuff liner which works so well. But maybe thin merino wool, which many of us already have, would be just as comfortable under an unlined VB? If so, if one already had a very thin lightweight un-breathable piece of rain gear and merino wool, it would be a lot cheaper to test.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    As you can see from my post from a while back at the top(post #60 in this thread 10/21/2012), they certainly have gone up a lot since I got mine- from $25 to $60. Almost tripled! Oh well, I would probably still pay it just to get the fuzzy stuff liner which works so well. But maybe thin merino wool, which many of us already have, would be just as comfortable under an unlined VB? If so, if one already had a very thin lightweight un-breathable piece of rain gear and merino wool, it would be a lot cheaper to test.
    This is the route I’m planning to go. There are several PVC rainsuits on Amazon for $20-$30. They might not hold up great for a lot of hiking, but for a cheap VBL while sleeping with a thin layer underneath might be just the ticket. I have some silk base layers that are my go to and should be just about right for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    This is the route I’m planning to go. There are several PVC rainsuits on Amazon for $20-$30. They might not hold up great for a lot of hiking, but for a cheap VBL while sleeping with a thin layer underneath might be just the ticket. I have some silk base layers that are my go to and should be just about right for this.

It will be interesting to see if- assuming you also avoid over heating and sweating- you find this comfortable, as I do the Warmlite brand's fuzzystuff VB. Also, for the gram weanies among us, if it is weight efficient. I think my WL shirt XL is 8 oz, which includes the built in liner. I think even my thinnest Merino wool tops weigh close to that, so any extra dedicated VB layer would be some # of oz added on to that. Although, if it had any sort of dual purpose(rain gear?) or could replace one insulation layer due to it's added warmth and ability to keep other insulation drier, any reasonably small amount of extra weight might be negated.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    In winter, it’s not always about weight. A few ounces here or there that help provide a better night’s sleep or keep your other layers working optimally are well worth it.

Images
    In winter, it’s not always about weight. A few ounces here or there that help provide a better night’s sleep or keep your other layers working optimally are well worth it.

I could not agree more! Well worth it! Still, if I have to carry it on my back, AND I can get it done safely with less weight, I will choose that, if cost is not exorbitant.

Hammock
    DH Raven #5906
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Super awesome thread, learned a lot. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112