Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpmaster View Post
    I use a Sailrite Ultrafeed LS-1 machine and it can handle just about anything I want to do...I've made notebook covers with multiple layers of 1000D Cordura nylon and it works pretty well for that even...I just have to help the wheel along a bit. They have an LSZ-1 that will do zig-zag also, if you need that. I got mine on ebay several years ago for a pretty good deal.

But for lightweight stuff like nylon for hammocks, it would be perfect and should last forever. Mine has a nice, metal chassis...really looks and feels very high quality. The customer service was very pleasant to deal with also when I wanted to order binding attachments and other misc. items...

Best of all, it's assembled in the USA.
    I have an LSZ1 for sail and canvas work and absolutely love it but....the feet teeth and feed dogs are too coarse for thin nylons. It's pretty slow at 800spm max for any sort of production work (and pretty slow for a 10' hammock hem). I considered replacing the balance wheel to speed it up and buying the less coarse walking feet and feed dogs, but decided against it b/c I had another machine that would do it.

Overall, great machine by a company with great customer service. The knockoff/clones of this machine are terrible and the real ones hold their value very well.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Thanks again for all your help guys. I've been throwing myself very fast into the thread injector world and its pretty overbearing to be honest, haha. You guys have really put it into perspective though that I don't NEED a 1950s steel work horse and can get by with less.

Tomorrow I'm going to go to that thrift store where I saw the machines and get some model numbers and such and look them up. Ill also post on here if anything seems promising. I found out a friend have a neighbor who owns a repair shop so I'm going to call him and see if he's got any in for sale.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    If you go to church, mention you're looking and you'll likely have a cheap or free machine within a couple of months, perhaps significantly less.

If you don't go to church, how do you feel about dating older women?

Seriously, if a general group of older people(women especially) has an idea you might be interested, you may find yourself with a good free or cheap machine in a fairly short amount of time. Once it was known I was looking, I had (many) offers for a good loaner and shortly, a nice Singer 404 for free from somebody who got it from her mother and was thrilled that a "nice young man" was going to put it to good use.

Jbo

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Well I guess I lucked out and one of the in laws got me an "older singer" for christmas. Ill be antsy to get it and see what model it is. I'm also very nervous as I found a guy whose a friend of a friend who has a repair shop and has some "old black singers" that he's refurbishing and can sell me one around the $200 mark. Said hed call me when one is finished and have me come in and test it with some fabrocs and threads I'd be using to make sure its what I need.

I guess selfishly I'm worried the one bought for me might be on the not so good side. But either way I'm very stoked and excited to see it. Ill share when I get it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    So the machine she got me is a Singer 293b. I couldn't find much info on this at all. I read on worthpoint.com they were made 1935-1955 and it said something about all metal parts. I don't know what year it is, ill try to find out when I get it. I assume I would just have to match the serial #.

Does anyone else know anything about these? Straight stich only? Quality?

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    A brief search on google found lots of places selling the manual. The one image I could find appears to be a lock stitch machine, straight stitch only. Good enough for hammock, tarp, and quilt construction.

good news is old Singers are easy to find parts for (ebay, etc...) and information is online and usually inexpensive. Tons of "local" singer stores. Also, I would wager a Singer machine built in the timeframe you guessed was manufactured in the USA or Germany, both mean quality machines. You can check the serial number on the Singer site once you get it, but I would bet a dollar to a doughnut that it was made in Elizabeth, NJ, or Scottland.

I use the sites below for manuals, parts manuals, and service manuals. Because my Singers are industrial machines, they always have been free downloads. It appears for consumer grade machines, there is a charge.

http://parts.singerco.com/

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Straight stitch only is not a obstacle. The zig-zag stitch, while nice at times, is total dispensable for gear making purposes. Even webbing loops need not be done zig-zag. Check out the commercial choices if you question that. Straight stitch box patterns abound in the marketplace.

Zig-zag became an attractive home stitch when stretch double knits showed up in the fabric stores for consumer purchase, It provides a certain amount of strtch required for stretch fabrics. Since most gear seeks to avoid stretch, the zig-zag is usually used to finish off edges or doing "butt" seams or buttonholes.

FTR a "lock stitch" is the typical ordinary stitch a home sewing machine makes. It refers to the intertwining of the spool and bobbin thread. Even the zig-zag is a variation on the lock stitch. If you don't see any other designation then the machine is almost certainly a lock stitch machine. Other machine stitches are "overcast" "Chain stitch" as well as o few others. The overcast stitch is the stitch for a serger. (Multiple spools, no bobbin) The chain stitch is usually found on the kids "My First Sewing Machine" or the hand held mending machine type of machine. Also found on dog food and potato bags.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Thanks guys. Every bit of info is helpful and appriciated! I can't wait to get this thing. Unfortuently my mother in law lives in Florida and I'm in Ohio so shipping I'm sure will be outrageous.

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    Silnylon
    Insulation
    Kifaru Woobie
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    but....the feet teeth and feed dogs are too coarse for thin nylons. It's pretty slow at 800spm max for any sort of production work (and pretty slow for a 10' hammock hem). I considered replacing the balance wheel to speed it up and buying the less coarse walking feet and feed dogs, but decided against it b/c I had another machine that would do it.
    The way I do seams to join two pieces of light nylon, it works ok (several layers helps)...on edges, I always use binding tape with the binder attachment, so helps with the thin material problem.

My stuff is mostly prototype stuff or one-offs for myself, so speed isn't a factor...yet...I would probably hurt myself if it went too fast...

Overall, great machine by a company with great customer service. The knockoff/clones of this machine are terrible and the real ones hold their value very well.
    Yeah, I love mine...I made these with it...(any errors are mine...not the machine's... )

Like my avatar? Want a custom bracelet and a great way to carry spare cord? Check out my website!

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    That's some mighty fine gear you have there Jump.

I recently came into an old Singer my mother got as a "honey did I ever screw up" gift a long time ago and although my sisters told me it didn't work and was worthless, my stubborn self took it home and worked it, cleaned it, lubed it and she is running like... well... a Singer sewing machine. I gave her clear instructions that she might run like a sewing machine, but she was indeed a thread injector. Those old Singers are tough machines and if you get one, just give it a little love and attention and it will repay your kindness with a bounty of gear. There are a bunch of skilled gear crafters in the forum that have excellent instructions to assist anybody interested in a DIY project, so chase that dream!

Happy Trails...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12