Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Frankenpad
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images

No-see-um netting versus tulle

I will be making a bug net or bug sock sometime in the future, and I was wondering how these materials compare for the application.

My three main questions are these.

What do each weigh per sq yd?

How expensive is each (and where did you get it if you got a deal)?

Are they equally effective in keeping bugs out? I need to stress that some of my hanging will be done in Louisiana swamps, and I need protection both from the Louisiana state bird (the mosquito), and no-see-ums.

Thanks for your help!
    ------------------------------------------------------

CBS (Cold Butt Stephen)

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    While tulle comes in several different mesh sizes I am not sure it would be smaller than no-see-um. Certainly not smaller than nano-see-um. I don't tend to favor tulle because of the stiffness it has. Some good washings will soften it by washing the sizing out of it, but then you lose some of the usefulness of the tulle. (IMO YMMV) My personal preference is either organza or chiffon. The latter can be very soft and droopy while the former has more structure than chiffon and falls about in the middle between chiffon and tulle. As per price... it's been a while since I priced any of it so I don't have any information in that regard. IMO if you can sporing the money for the no-see-um you will get a more durable product because the other fabrics are being used "off-label" as it were. But they are all usable if you can live with the trade offs.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    Might wanna check out this thread

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=25995
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Senior Member Cold Butt Stephen's Avatar
    Hammock
    SL 1.1 oz DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Frankenpad
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by millarky View Post
    Thanks for the link. That was my other concern with tulle. Looks like no-see-um netting is the way to go for me. Thanks y'all.
    ------------------------------------------------------

CBS (Cold Butt Stephen)

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Don't know about Tulle, but Organza works fine.

We use Organza only now since it is easier to obtain than no-seeum or nano-seeum. We could find no-seeum only on-line and nano-seeum only at Thru-Hiker. So that entails shipping and handling charges. Organza should be available locally so you pay sales tax, but no S&H. If you get at either JoAnne's or Hancock fabrics, then you can use a coupon and it is even cheaper than no-seeum or nano-seeum.

In comparison of Organza and no-seeum:

1. mesh size - Organza mesh holes are smaller than no-seeum. This has a penalty in that it traps more heat than no-seeum which traps more heat than mosquito netting. In general the smaller the mesh hole size, the less air circulation through the mesh and the more heat is trapped.
    2. edges and fraying - no-seeum edges do not fray when cut. Organza will fray and must be hemmed. We use Organza for quilt baffles and don't bother to hem there since there we allow enough that fraying will not be a problem
    3. weight - the Organza that we have used is lighter than no-seeum and about the same weight as nano-seeum. Organza is available in both polyester and nylon. We use only the polyester variety.
    4. colors - no-seeum and nano-seeum is only available in black (at least that we could find). Organza if available in many colors including black, white, pink, gold, etc.

For quilt baffles, the color selection is important, since you can use a contrasting color which makes it easier to sew the baffles.
    5. feel - Organza if not as stiff as no-seeum or nano-seeum. If you need a stiffer mesh to get a proper lay of the fabric, then no-seeum or nano-seeum is needed.
    6. material - Organza is available in either polyester or nylon. Our experience is that the nylon is slightly less expensive and usually available in a wider color selection.
    7. strength - nothing scientific, but we have not been able to rip no-seeum, nano-seeum or any Organza with our hands. Did not start a rip first with scissors or anything like that, just grabbed a scrap piece of each and tried to rip - the scraps cut into our hands and could not force a rip.

• + New Posts