Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by wetface View Post
    Blackbird is a definite in a bug out bag.
    If you are going to bug out. Bug out in style.

Hammock
    WBBB or GT traveller
    Tarp
    ZPacks asym
    Insulation
    Golite TQ / JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Cheapo webbing
    Images
    I carry a siltarp and a hammock in my BOB. My reasoning is pretty simple. 1) If I am reduced to bugging out from something ON FOOT, it must be something really, really bad. 2) If I am bugging out from a really bad event, I have to move FAST. 3) The best way to ensure I can move fast for many days is A: make my kit as light as possible while still covering the essentials, and B:make sure that whatever sleep I grab is as good as I can get. A hammock and siltarp are the lightest way to ensure shelter (I live in the Southeast, no worries with lack of trees here) and are certainly
    (for my bad back anyway) the best way to get a good nights sleep in the woods. And, if a situation arises that I have to go to ground, I am in the same shape as if I didnt have a hammock - I am sleeping on the ground under a tarp. I figure it could happen, but odds are that a hammock will allow me to get restful sleep more often than not.

As an aside, I use a 20 deg synthetic sleeping bag in my BOB anyway, just for the security and convenience. Whether in the hammock, on the ground, or in an emergency lean-to, it will be warm enough to get me thru a night, even a very cold one. CBS will be the least of my concerns if I am bugging out. Heck, Cold-butt will be an excellent alarm clock!
    It could be that the purpose of my life is merely to serve as a warning to others.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    EASY....My JRB Hammock, UQ, TQ, Large tarp all fit in 1200-1400 ci bag or about half a small to mid size pack pack.

The survival bonus... you can bivi / hang on hill where no one else can... therefore they probably won't go there in the first place....THIS IS A REAL BENEFIT IN A SURVIVAL / BUG OUT SITUATION.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    EASY....My JRB Hammock, UQ, TQ, Large tarp all fit in 1200-1400 ci bag or about half a small to mid size pack pack.

The survival bonus... you can bivi / hang on hill where no one else can... therefore they probably won't go there in the first place....THIS IS A REAL BENEFIT IN A SURVIVAL / BUG OUT SITUATION.

Pan
    Wow. You make bugging out look like something to look forward to. I think that I will order that Old Rag Mountain you got on sale since it can be used as both an underquilt and overquilt. Now that is bugging out in style.

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    This subject reminds me of the joke ... if you ask 5 economists a question you will inevitably receive back 6 different answers.

I keep BOBs to include a lrg long term BOB which is Molle II w/sleep & modular systems that integrates with an FLC vest. Not something I look forward to humping but if the time came it's good to go and yes I do practice with it once or twice a year. I do not have a hammock in it for several reasons but that is a personal choice. There is a hammock packed within a few feet & available carry solutions on/in the pack system so if I choose it can be integrated within seconds and I have chosen to do so a few times.

If I did decide to take a hammock in my BOB it would be DL since it gets cold enough at night just about anywhere in the world including the desert & you can stuff what your already carrying between layers for insulation as long as your not going in extremes. I already carry a ground mat which can also be used effectively between the hammock & UL. I would not take a designated tarp but use an HD reflective tarp which I have two of in my BOB (some use mspec panchos). I must stress my BOB's are for emergency situations only and are geared to me personally. I also have the luxury of having a large, well organized, man cave with a variety of equip' so I can tailor this particular BOB within seconds.

The main reason a hammock is not a primary choice for me in a BOB is that other than a fire, the only reasons for me to become a refuge would require stealth & imo a hammock is poorly suited for that since I'm not a monkey & hanging 20 or more feet in the air is not on my practice list. Another consideration against a hammock is that my BOB is geared strictly for survival, and again imo, a hammock is a luxury .. albeit a very nice one. Practicing with your BOBs a few times as if it was the real deal and the contents will naturally evolve. I'm a firm believer in skills over equip' but with each year passing I appreciate more the comfort of technology and the modern hammock has put me back in the wilderness
    The older I get the better I used to be. Superhero status is near.

Hammock
    1.7 Dbl. WBBB Hammock
    Tarp
    DD XL Trap
    Insulation
    Merlin3 TQ/Nest UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    My DD Travel hammock can be used as a bivi on the ground if hang points are not around. check them out here:
    http://www.ddhammocks.com/about
    U.S. Army Paratrooper, Combat Engineer, DAV (Life Member), American Legion (Life Member)
    NMLRA(1 of 1000[#249] & Life Member), NRA(Life Member)
    Perry Lodge #123 F&AM(Perpetual Member), Perfect Ashlar Lodge #12 F&AM(Perpetual Member)

Hammock
    TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    All you really need in your bug out bag is a gun. Then you can have whatever is in everyone else's bug out bag. So if they have jerky and a hammock, now you do. Travel light, my bug out friend.
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    This thread now makes me want to make a BOB

I dont really see any reason that one should not use a hammock.
    i would just carry everything that i need to have so that i can set up without a hammock, and throw one in anyway.

It doesn't need to anything fancy at all, and doesn't have to be the most comfortable thing ever(pretty much anything would be better than the ground). A cheap $10 rope hammock on ebay would be good enough, takes very little space, and weighs barely anything. Or you could make a cheap DIY hammock. I've made a 4' x 9' hammock before and slept fine in it (i'm 6'1" 130lbs) that only weighs 5-6oz. For bug protection i would just throw in some tulle that only takes up a 2" ball of space.

Hammock
    WBBB or GT traveller
    Tarp
    ZPacks asym
    Insulation
    Golite TQ / JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Cheapo webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudorino View Post
    All you really need in your bug out bag is a gun. Then you can have whatever is in everyone else's bug out bag. So if they have jerky and a hammock, now you do. Travel light, my bug out friend.
    I am going to guess this was a joke. This is me laughing.
    It could be that the purpose of my life is merely to serve as a warning to others.

Hammock
    Currently using a Clark North Ameri
    Insulation
    Still learning
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    All have sound advice , just remember your BOB has to suit your needs, the one thing to always remember is try to pick Items that can be used for more than one task, tha helps keep the weight down.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast