Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    If you go that route.. make sure you know what you are getting into. Last time I checked on a site like that I was bidding on a pallet of untested, unknown stuff. It was going to weigh about 2500 pounds and I had to cart it away. I decided not to bother.
    I considered bidding on some long arm machines, (Chandler and Adlers) and one Consew 206. The long arms sold for a good price, around $700, but too rich for my blood. In the case of these machines, some where head only and others had the table and motor. Unlike most things on the govliquidation site, these were not sold in a larger lot. What ultimately scared me away was the condition on most of them was listed as "not serviceable, sell for scrap." I called govliquidation and asked if some things are listed in that category just so they military can get rid of them instead of repairing them. They indicated the conditions are typically accurate. I feel confident in my ability to repair a machine, but without seeing it in person first, it was quite a risk for that amount of money.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man_mike View Post
    My mom passed a couple of months ago and I saved a 1956 Singer 306K from the dumpster. My sisters told me it didn't work and me being a stubborn DIY guy had to take it home and give it a scrub and lube. I was not completely surprised that she fired up and after about $10 of replacement parts I have a sturdy thread injector that is slightly older than I am. It sews a dead on straight stitch too... as long as my hand is steady that is. I am delighted to have rescued it from the scrap yard, but understand the want for a spanking new machine now and then.

May your seams be straight and your spools full...
    Your mom would be proud of you. My condolences on her passing.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    What ultimately scared me away was the condition on most of them was listed as "not serviceable, sell for scrap." I called govliquidation and asked if some things are listed in that category just so they military can get rid of them instead of repairing them. They indicated the conditions are typically accurate. I feel confident in my ability to repair a machine, but without seeing it in person first, it was quite a risk for that amount of money.
    Unless things have changed, when I looked at their policy about condition ratings if the items were "Sell for scrap" they _could not_ be repaired. They _had_ to be rendered useless before they could be sold any further down the the line. In the case of the kind of thing I was looking at that meant being put through a crusher or shredder before being offered for scrap. I think this had something to do with liability if scrap items were repaired and resold. I don't fully understand it but after all... it's the government.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Your mom would be proud of you. My condolences on her passing.
    Thank you NC Patrick. I think I get a lot of my DIY mentality from her. She was a tough, no nonsense lady with a heart of gold and I miss her all the time.

Thanks again and Happy Trails...

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7 Leftie + Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Artic KaroStep
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    PKT, What is your present machine and when was the last time you had it serviced.
    A shop can determine issues and fix?

On the other hand...JUKI

A good machine is priceless, in my opinion.
    But it won't fix operator failure.
    Gargoyle it's an Omega forget the model... 7042 maybe, it's Necchi's cousin.
    Serviced about a year ago.
    Ya know sometimes just talking or writing about these things will make you appreciate what you have...maybe I'll give the old girl another whirl and use up the rest of my down
    Wanting sometimes is more fun than having anyway....but Juki

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    I saw a Necchi supernova on shopgoodwill.com. Great machine. If you could pick it up for less than $100 after shipping, it would be a steal.

Most of the newer machines are plastic and computerized. They have lots of stitches and are great for casual sewers and dressmakers. Lots to go wrong and they stitch fairly slow. Many of these type mahines have huge price tags and low resale value.
    I think I'm getting the thread-injector bug. Picked up a Kenmore Model 52, like it allot. A Necchi Supernova is on my shopping list also

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    What about an old Singer 237 Industrial Quality Sewing Machine - all steel - made in Italy? I know absolutely nothing about sewing machines. However, I'm considering getting one to play around on.

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Sorry about your mom MMM.. my mother n law passed and my wife was holding on to her 1970's I think Kenmore. She finally let me pull it out. I had cheap bobbins and Singer needles on hand. It wouldn't run for anything. Then my mom ... God bless her said don't toss it but go and buy proper bobbins and needles, oil it and give er hell. So I did and it runs like new. Now on the downside... my wife has me hemming the kids clothes in between sewing hammocks and stuff.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12