Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I go out to the woods to see trees, lakes and wild life not brightly colored gear. For me it's a matter of politeness.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eflat7 View Post
    I stealth camp because I like to be the watcher, not the watched.
    That's how i feel too eflat7. Wildlife Observer, to be One with Nature and Leave No Trace.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    I enjoy seeing the raccoons, skunks, and deer walk right by me.. All totally oblivious of my hanging there. I even witnessed a small coyote stalking some squirrels go by me. I won't say that I enjoyed that.
    Last edited by joggerjohn; 12-16-2010 at 23:17.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This has been a fun thread to read. So many of you go stealth for the same reasons as me, but I wasn't born stealthy. When I was a teen it was all about "Hey look at me" with my bright yellow car, wild crazy dancing, and ultra bright "HEY LOOK AT ME" clothes (hats, scarf and really big sleeves).
    The older and wiser I get, it goes the opposite way. Being in the woods and blending into nature means getting quiet, and simply NOT being the focus point. However, inside camp it's okay to wear funny hats.
    "Well, you might be lazy, but if we were not all about comfort here this would be a tent forum!" - - Roadtorque

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    The Claytor Jungle Hammock was built for bugging out in. It is a real military hammock.... when compared to the other hammocks on this forum it might seem primitive, unimaginative and rather standard... but still it is graceful..It is excellent because it is stealthy and camouflaged and the heavier material it is made with will last longer than than any other hammock on the market. It can be used on the ground as a shelter.

The Claytor Jungle Hammock works like the ultimate bug out hammock. It functions as both a simple hammock and really excellent tent-like shelter. It wouldn't be my personal favorite unless I was really bugging out and it isn't the most comfortable but it is the best for bugging out in. A very durable and practical double layer hammock. I think someone even told me that the French Foreign Legion uses it.
    Last edited by joggerjohn; 12-17-2010 at 09:41.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Stealth camping. I do it because it is an "art" form.

If you go to a designated camp ground, then hike 2 miles into the woods, to find a "nice" place "away from it all," to camp, then it's either hiking and camping in a designated area or trespassing.

If you are thru AT and set camp up beside the trail where no one can see you, well you found a good campsite or are in some cases, are trespassing.

Clearly, I'm not making a statement on whether to do or not to. The mitigating circumstances are just too varied, from one example to the next.

Stealth camping to me, relates much more to bicycle or moto thru-touring, when you cannot due to logistics, weather, finances, break downs, etc, plan every single night's stop or rest. Not dissing the stealth hikers or thru-campers, but touring uses mostly public access highways, streets, roads, and trails. When you decide to roll off, as dusk approaches, into a secure looking dark corner somewhere. Set camp up out of the line of site, with as little time, trouble, and noise as possible, then climb into your hammock, go to sleep, get up and be gone before the first light. That is Stealth Camping.

You camped somewhere you might not of had permission, but you can at least say if you are discovered, "Just passing through. Got dark, Got tired, Got cold, Got wet, Got scared, Got smart, Got stupid, and stopped just long enough to rest and I'll be on my way." Not saying that will always work, but that leaves many options, for a LEO, and the fact you can pack up and wheel your way out of his particular jurisdiction is almost always a plus. If you aren't discovered, and LNT, then you have successfully "Stealthed"

If you are found "stealthing" on foot with $1000 dollars worth of LWG and GPS, several miles from an area where you are "permitted" your intent to any LEO will be fairly obvious, and his reaction much more narrow minded. Usually, but not always. Still a roll of the dice. You still need to give LEO nothing to dislike, or become suspicious of. Be willing to pack up and clear out as you are speaking, if allowed. Maybe even offer to pay the landowner or cover any fees/fines, that may be accessed, on the spot, whether you have the money or not.

Most of us do not, cook, wash up, build any fire, and use minimal light(usually red filter when we do) at our actual stealthsite. You stop down the road somewhere, it is allowed, to boil a little water, eat relax a little and clean up, then roll back to the spot you picked out, and off into the dusk or dark. Cover the bike up and just sit tight for 10 or 15 minutes or more, to make sure, you haven't been spotted already, and that the "vibe" still feels good. Look around for evidence of unwanted habitation. Cigarette butts, beer cans, clothing, etc. If you don't see any of that junk, and all checks out, set up, go to sleep, get up with sun and get out, back on the road. 30 min's to an hour, look for a place to make or buy breakfast. Ride and repeat.

That's just what I know to be. Not the only version, but still my take, after a time.

Indiana can be a weird, but beautiful place for any type of camping. I don't like the campground scene, unless it IS a festival or concert atmosphere, and i intentionally paid for that experience. The rest of the time, I look for somewhere else, that it is quiet, out of the way, and I can be alone. Around here, a lot of those places just happen to be where they don't want me to be

Images
    i don't use stealth colors, i wear Hawaiian shirts, Kaia wears a blinking light and my lines glow in the dark and still no one camps near me?
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joggerjohn View Post
    The Claytor Jungle Hammock was built for bugging out in. It is a real military hammock.... when compared to the other hammocks on this forum it might seem primitive, unimaginative and rather standard... but still it is graceful..It is excellent because it is stealthy and camouflaged and the heavier material it is made with will last longer than than any other hammock on the market. It can be used on the ground as a shelter.

The Claytor Jungle Hammock works like the ultimate bug out hammock. It functions as both a simple hammock and really excellent tent-like shelter. It wouldn't be my personal favorite unless I was really bugging out and it isn't the most comfortable but it is the best for bugging out in. A very durable and practical double layer hammock. I think someone even told me that the French Foreign Legion uses it.
    I got a couple of chuckles out of this, so I hope that is how you intended it.

Most militaries do use Hennessy or DD hammocks. The French aren't usually known for their superior military feats or equipment (with the exception of their food rations).

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    if you don't like stealth camping you can always get one of those pink colored underquilts being sold at ARROWHEAD EQUIPMENT. ORDER NOW.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Pink Hammocks too!

That's right John. There are always other options

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast