Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa

Hammocking with Sleep Apnea

Anybody here have sleep apnea and hang?

I've read that having your head elevated can stop snooring because there is less pressure pulling down to close the throat muscles when they relax.

Seems the hammock would be perfect for that.

When I sleep in a bed without my breathing machine I wake up sweating.

I've only spent a bit of time in my hammock but so far I haven't woken up sweating. Maybe it's helping??

Since I live alone I haven't had anyone around this week to see if I'm snoring when asleep.

Any ideas on this as I'd really like to camp without the machine and not wake up tired from fitfull, poor sleeps.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    In the medical world, it is called semi-fowlers position. Do a google on it and you'll find out more. It is the preferred position for a non-intubated patient that cannot protect their own airway. You would need to experiment with it in the yard with somebody who can observe you sleeping. Not sure there are sleep centers that have hammocks yet.

BTW, sleep apnea is a multi-faceted condition. Have a friend who could not control his blood pressure. Finally, after he did a sleep study and started using the "fighter pilot" machine, his BP is now under control. I was his roomie at a convention awhile back. He comes in late after a night of revelry and just maybe some alcohol. A couple minutes after laying down he starts snoring like nothing I've ever heard before. I look over and see he has the mask on. What in the heck? I lay there for a few moments and realize the machine is not on. I turn on the light, find the power button, bingo. Within seconds, the cacophony ends and both of us are well on our way to la-la land.

We both had a good laugh the next morning.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
    ~Redd Foxx

"In wildness is the preservation of the world."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Funny thing is I don't snore much at home, but in a hammock I saw away all night... So I'm told...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I have sleep apnea and I find I have less issues when I sleep in a hammock. My head is more elevated than when I'm in a bed. When sleeping without my machine in a bed I toss and turn but in a hammock I stay in the same position like I do when I'm wearing my mask in bed.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Your best (and safest) course of action is probably to do an oxymeter study while you sleep in your hammock. If you are already using a CPAP machine, then you know that you have significant sleep apnea. Many pharmacies and medical supply stores have oxymeters that you can rent and then turn it to have the data analyzed. That's really your most accurate way to tell whether your sleep position in your hammock affects your airway & oxygen levels. The fact that you're feeling better after sleeping in the hammock is a positive sign. Sleep apnea can have a profound impact on your health, so I'd make sure that you're OK without your machine.
    My river running buddy started using a CPAP machine this past summer, and it has really improved his health. Decreased BP, decreased fatigue, no morning headaches, and I tease him that his demeanor has improved. He has come up with a workable battery system that lasts through a week long river trip.
    KJ
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 12-14-2010 at 19:13. Reason: xx

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock-NX 250
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps, cinch bkls
    I have found a position in the Clark NX 250 I proudly own that allows me to actualy sleep when I can't lug the machine along. It is hard to explain the position but it does involve my head being elevated. The only times I forgo the machine is when I have a combination of a far hike and no power.
    "Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime” Rupert Pupkin

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE
    i also have this sleep issue whats your concern???
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    BWD four season
    Insulation
    Perfect Trees
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    My son says I still snore but not as much or as loud when I sleep in the hammock. I tell him he's still dreaming.
    Go Dawgs!!!!

Bobby

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I use a BiPAP, it's like a CPAP but you don't feel like you're being smothered when you exhale. I use one of these when I camp http://puresleep.com/ . I have obstructive sleep apnea and it seems to help alot. If a person has central sleep apnea it wouldn't do any good. My doctor wont recommend the pure sleep, of course, but, I think that she is just being cautious. It sure is lighter than a car battery and a solar panel so I'll take my chances .

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    I have it and use a cpap at home. I have never had the great results with the cpap that others claim. I'm just about as tired in the am, I just don't snore.

When I'm in a hammock, I snore like crazy and usually have to find some sort of middle ground between on my back and on my side. I can usually get a somewhat restful sleep in this position and still better than on the ground.

I tried the mouthpiece thing once. By trying it, I mean I purchased a boxing/MMA style mouth piece from the sporting goods store which had the top and bottom protection. When "boiled and bit it", I intentionally moved my lower jaw forward to lock it forward when I sleep. I must have swallowed it or something, because after the first night, I could not find it anywhere in my my room.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast