Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Winter Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I too sleep well without the CPAP when in my hammock. I got a dental device from EBAY [search cpap] that helps keep the airway open but it does cause excessive drooling the first few days. Good Luck with it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    At the moment I am sans CPAP when camping so I put a rolled up towel under my neck to tilt my head back and keep the airway open.

I used to have a Puritan-Bennett GoodKnight 420G (before the impeller failed and the manufacturer wouldn't return my calls about their obsolete product) and a 16aH 14.8V Li-Ion battery pack from batteryspace.com. The battery pack weighs about 3 lb. The whole rig added about 5 lb to my backpack but the extra energy from a good night's sleep is worth it, IMHO.

I got 3 nights out of my pack on a full charge. Results will vary depending on your pressure setting. I have a moderate pressure setting (7). Of course, I don't use a humidifier when I'm camping so that helps extend the battery life dramatically.

As for my setup, I put my GK and the battery in separate mesh ditty bags that fit each rather snuggly. The bag openings are tied tight around the battery pack power connector, and CPAP air hose respectively. Each ditty bag has another small carabiner threaded through the mesh at the bottom corner of the ditty bag. I've put a small carabiner through the loop at the head end of the ridge line and clip both the battery pack and the CPAP ditty bags to it.

I still have to figure out what to do about winter camping with a CPAP. Below 0C (32F) I have condensation problems and I expect that getting down to -10C I might need a way to preheat the air coming in, maybe with some kind of air hose sock and a bunch of chemical foot/hand warmers...

I now have a ResMed S9, but the manufacturer has not been forthcoming with a DC-to-DC converter for it and it will not accept 14.8V. I suppose I could build a DC-to-AC inverter and power it off AC but the efficiency would go way down.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL & GT Single & nano-7
    Tarp
    Poly Camo 8x10
    Insulation
    KAQLostRiver & Pad
    Suspension
    OEM&WhoopieSlings
    I use a ResMed Plus M. My pressure settings are HIGH and I don't even try to overnight hike with my equip. I dayhike, and sleep comfortably back at camp in my hammock with my equip sitting on a camp table connected to a Black and Decker Electromate via the DC 12v port. I snug the hammocks zippers up to the tube and stuff any gaps with a mosquito head net if needed. To date everything has remained dry under the poly tarp I generally use when camping. As sk8rs dad said worst prob is dealing with the cold air coming through the machine. I may try bringing the machine into the hammock with me and using the air warmed by body heat on the familys next campout. Don't drink before bed, it makes your muscles relax a little TOO much. I don't find I get much benefit from an 'elevated' sleep position. The natural tendency is for your torso to slide to the lowest point in the hammock, elevating your feet, and bringing your head down fairly low.. If you've only been napping it isn't as pronounced as when you spend the night in the hammock. My shoes are always 6 - 10 inches closer to my head when I wake up in the morning, and I don't think the squirrels are screwing with me.
    Sleep System: WBBB 1.7 DL
    Suspension: OEM Webbing
    Insulation:KAQ Lost River UQ & Thermarest-Ridgerest pad - GoLite UltraLite 3-Season Quilt
    Tarp: 8x10 polyethylene camoflage tarp

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Reprobate View Post
    I too sleep well without the CPAP when in my hammock. I got a dental device from EBAY [search cpap] that helps keep the airway open but it does cause excessive drooling the first few days. Good Luck with it.
    How do you like the ebay device, really think it helps?

I looked at Pure Sleep but in the fine print it says it does nothing for OSA (obstructive sleep apnea) just controls snooring.

It sure would be easier than trying to carry the machine and batteries on the bike.

There is a whole new generation of large batteries that are pretty cheap. They arvertise that one to fit my bike would loose 7 pounds. I'll dig up the website.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Winter Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    The ebay device is similar to the Pure Sleep. It keeps me from grinding my teeth at night. I've been on the CPAP since 92. For years I couldn't sleep without it. Now, after a few nights in the hammock, I can sleep without the CPAP and I don't use the device. I don't know why but I'm not complaining.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    I used to grind my teath terribly and wake up with jaws that ached all day .. went through a few wisdom teeth in the process.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Here's that link on lightweight batteries that would make carrying a machine for a couple of nights so much easier.

http://antigravitybatteries.com/

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL & GT Single & nano-7
    Tarp
    Poly Camo 8x10
    Insulation
    KAQLostRiver & Pad
    Suspension
    OEM&WhoopieSlings
    Went camping this week with my sons BSA Pack. My family slept in our tent. I chose my WBBB hammock. The first two nights temps here in Orlando, FL were in the 20's. I bring my BiPAP machine on my camping trips this was no exception, and have some tips for those that do.
    1. I use a battery pack when the site I'm on has limited or no electric. For sub freezing temps be sure to charge your batteries daily. My pack will normally last two to three days, in freezing temps your batteries WILL drain faster. (I was prepared for it this trip, so no worries.)
    2. Keep your machine in your hammock, inside your quilt. ( I lay mine on my chest, or tuck it under my arm against my side.) It helps to pre-warm the air your inhaling, stopping you from getting that freezer burned face in the AM. A side benefit is the machine does warm a little above body temp, helping to keep you toasty inside the quilt/bag. (just don't pass wind with your little buddy in there with you).
    Sleep System: WBBB 1.7 DL
    Suspension: OEM Webbing
    Insulation:KAQ Lost River UQ & Thermarest-Ridgerest pad - GoLite UltraLite 3-Season Quilt
    Tarp: 8x10 polyethylene camoflage tarp

Hammock
    GT UL, Multiple DIY
    Tarp
    I like DIY stuff
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    I tried the mouthpiece thing once. By trying it, I mean I purchased a boxing/MMA style mouth piece from the sporting goods store which had the top and bottom protection. When "boiled and bit it", I intentionally moved my lower jaw forward to lock it forward when I sleep. I must have swallowed it or something, because after the first night, I could not find it anywhere in my my room.
    Now that's just funny

-jeff

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    I must have swallowed it or something, . . .
    , I could not find it anywhere in my my room.
    Did you look in the thunder box . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Reprobate View Post
    I got a dental device from EBAY . . . helps keep the airway open
    but it does cause excessive drooling the first few days. .
    Likely why the guy sold it on ebay . . .
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast