Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Can't wait to see the pictures, Jeff!

If you want to borrow a MMGBox to compare and review, let me know!

Wish I had visited your web site before you came by last Friday... we would have talked flying and floating!

- MacEntyre

P.S.

WLMiller54 is correct about the pocket. The best thing is to put an item in the pocket so that it sorta wedges in, because then you can open the top and toss it over the back or into the gear box, without it falling out. Last weekend, I clipped my first aid kit to the grosgrain loop instead of putting it in the pocket.

Did I mention that I put a grosgrain loop on the edge at the bottom of the pocket? I also put a shock cord ring in the loop. You can stake it out with that, and the loop can be used to hold the entire package together when the gear box is stuffed into it's own pocket.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WLMiller54 View Post
    Cool, let me know how it works for you.

Here is what I found:
    • IF you make the pocket too large things will actually fall out of it, or it invert and fall away from the hammock body
    • make your pocket proportional. Wide + Deep.
    • Try a larger cover edge, and putting a pull on each corner.
    • Too much material on the cover edges will end up blowing the cover open unless they are held down. Sort of a balance thing. Plus they make noise in the wind.
    All excellent feedback points. Thanks William.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Can't wait to see the pictures, Jeff!
    I know. Without pics... it didn't happen. Was hoping for some well lit outdoor shots. That won't be happening in the freezing rain today.

If you want to borrow a MMGBox to compare and review, let me know!
    Sure MacEntyre. Happy to review anything you like. Could be cool to gradually work through your whole line.
    My day job is online marketing, so I've got a pretty good formula for getting my reviews ranked well in search results.

Wish I had visited your web site before you came by last Friday... we would have talked flying and floating!
    Oh My! Visiting my site is like voting. Everyone should do it EARLY and OFTEN!
    Seriously though, it is good that we didn't get into discussions Friday. With the whole family in tow, it would have gotten me in trouble. I have always been able to talk planes for hours, boats and kayaks too. Combine that with hammock and camping gear and I think you and I could talk for days, if not weeks. I doubt your other guests or my family would have "been down for that".

WLMiller54 is correct about the pocket. The best thing is to put an item in the pocket so that it sorta wedges in, because then you can open the top and toss it over the back or into the gear box, without it falling out.
    Hmmm. If this becomes a problem I may add velcro. However, I'm hoping that just knowing that stuff can fall out, I'll remember to be careful and this won't be a big issue.

Did I mention that I put a grosgrain loop on the edge at the bottom of the pocket? I also put a shock cord ring in the loop. You can stake it out with that, and the loop can be used to hold the entire package together when the gear box is stuffed into it's own pocket.
    The grosgrain loop was mentioned in person and in this thread (I think). I don't recall the shock cord, but I like the loop for bundling it all together in the pocket. Will add that soon.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY Dbl lyr HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Membrane Hex
    Insulation
    DIY EE 850fp Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    I know this is an old thread but it sure has been super helpful. Thanks for sharing your work and pattern. I made this today and am super happy with it (and the color.) Please excuse the farm kitchen floor. I have been busy sewing gear!

20170517_112906.jpg
    --
    moniquews

Adults are obsolete children. ~Dr. Seuss

Hello, Does anybody else have pictures of this project? I am thinking of making one to add to my all-in-one sling but I want to make sure this really works well.

thank you all!

I currently have this (no sewing yet).

As I understand it the channels on the left and right make a gathered end hammock and the channel at the bottom makes the ridgeline.

Am I missing something? Is the DIY bug driving me mad? 😱

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk
    If you don't live life to the limit, how will you know when you overcome your own?

Quote Originally Posted by MoniqueWS View Post
    I know this is an old thread but it sure has been super helpful. Thanks for sharing your work and pattern. I made this today and am super happy with it (and the color.) Please excuse the farm kitchen floor. I have been busy sewing gear!

20170517_112906.jpg
    Love that color. What material, and where did you get it, if you remember?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    BTW, I now make the Gear Box such that the ridgeline is permanently installed, but the suspension in the end channels is removable.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    Mac...what is the best way to contact you? I tried contacting you through the website, but no success.

Thanks

I just broke 2 (TWO) sewing machine needles finishing the stitches on a suspension channel. Looks like I know what I'm up to tomorrow (buying needles).

I still would appreciate seeing someone setting theirs up if that is possible?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast