Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caribou Bentspoke View Post
    Good to know, I'll remember to put up my fake $10 pup tent, and set up my hammock after dark if I ever make it to Florida.
    Plenty of great hanging in Florida without going to a State Park. Ocala National Forest is one of my favorites and you can hang to your heart's content. Don't let the State Parks keep you out of Florida. The no-see-ums maybe, but not the State Park rules.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny's_Trike View Post
    I really do appreciate the Kudo's from all. BUT, nothing is chiseled in stone yet, nor has it been all worked out. But I see good things to come from the help I am getting from Park Small. Without his open mind and his input to his management team. I dont think this would have been as easy, if at all possible.

So, lets see where this goes, but I gathered that this could be in the works as far as cost analysis, materials and design within the near future if all goes well.

Sometimes you just get lucky when you call a goverment office seeking help.
    Just a thought, but maybe you could involve the boy scouts. I know here in Utah, there are lots of boys looking for an Eagle Scout project. Adding some hammock hanging posts might be a good project?????
    KJ - a transplanted Florida native

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for making this happen, Trike...even if it doesn't work out this time, it's progress.

This thread started off rather confrontational, but has gotten more civil as Trike has posted his progress. Please remember that HF is the go-to source for hammocking info...so it's likely that policymakers will look here while researching the issue. Posts that ridicule or belittle them don't add anything useful to the discussion, and make it harder for those of us trying to have a positive impact on the regulations.

Hammock Forums is here for the free flow of information, and is not an "advocacy" forum for any cause other than responsible use of the outdoors...but we do believe strongly that responsibility use includes not insulting the public servants who administer our recreation areas.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Plenty of great hanging in Florida without going to a State Park. Ocala National Forest is one of my favorites and you can hang to your heart's content. Don't let the State Parks keep you out of Florida. The no-see-ums maybe, but not the State Park rules.
    Much agreed with you Cannibal. I understand the Florida State Park policies, but there are miles & miles of open forest to hang from with my hammock.

Me, not much a politician, I'll stick to avoiding them while out in the trees

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH HexFly
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Rings w/Caribiner
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykayak View Post
    well done, Sunny. I'm going to forward your note to a friend who is the manager of a FL State Park. Maybe he can give me some info.
    Well, do whatever you think... But jumping ahead of the process may do no more than muddy the waters so to speak. He may be a friend, but if it has not gotten down to his level within this short period of time. And he calls his boss it may make it look like we hammockers think its a DONE DEAL and it by no means is. Just my thoughts..

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Thanks for making this happen, Trike...even if it doesn't work out this time, it's progress.

This thread started off rather confrontational, but has gotten more civil as Trike has posted his progress. Please remember that HF is the go-to source for hammocking info...so it's likely that policymakers will look here while researching the issue. Posts that ridicule or belittle them don't add anything useful to the discussion, and make it harder for those of us trying to have a positive impact on the regulations.

Hammock Forums is here for the free flow of information, and is not an "advocacy" forum for any cause other than responsible use of the outdoors...but we do believe strongly that responsibility use includes not insulting the public servants who administer our recreation areas.

You are so right on here Jeff.. I have been wanting to bring a point up, but did not want to offend anyone. But you have allowed me to give my thoughts since it goes with what you said....

It is my understanding the Parks Small has spent a good amount of time reading our forums as possibly others in his office... Even making remarks in jest can be easily miscontrued. Stealth camping or putting up my fake pup tent can be easily considered to mean we hammocker will do whatever we want to serve our needs. This I feel is far from the truth. Stealth camping is a chargable offense in a Fla State Park if the officer sees fit. Consider these things when posting, especially since it means alot to all who ever want to hang in Fla State Parks....
    Last edited by Winchester52; 01-04-2011 at 09:26. Reason: another post brought another thought

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp
    I have camped at serveral SP's without the least trouble when hanging my hammock. The problem I have noticed more often is that the camping sites aren't designed for hammock camping, but tent camping. So quite frequently, there are not trees that are the proper size or distance to even hang a hammock. With that in mind, I think it is a much better option to push for adding poles to hang from.

I am giving serious consideration to heading over to that hang in Ocala. Might be a bit tough to swing since I have already camped one time and have one other trip already in the plans. But might be a fun trip to plan with my son.

Great legwork so far Sunny's Trike and keep us posted as to how we can help. I have been a member here long enough to know that there are great number of people here that would be more than happy to help provide materials or at least dig some holes and set posts.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH HexFly
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Rings w/Caribiner
    Quote Originally Posted by opie984 View Post
    I have camped at serveral SP's without the least trouble when hanging my hammock. The problem I have noticed more often is that the camping sites aren't designed for hammock camping, but tent camping. So quite frequently, there are not trees that are the proper size or distance to even hang a hammock. With that in mind, I think it is a much better option to push for adding poles to hang from.

I am giving serious consideration to heading over to that hang in Ocala. Might be a bit tough to swing since I have already camped one time and have one other trip already in the plans. But might be a fun trip to plan with my son.

Great legwork so far Sunny's Trike and keep us posted as to how we can help. I have been a member here long enough to know that there are great number of people here that would be more than happy to help provide materials or at least dig some holes and set posts.
    Thank you for your support and if the need comes that I need some help I will post. But for now, I think we need to let the people at the SP office in Tallahassee have a bit of time to digest this. Many people voicing suggestions and waving their hand is neccessary in some cases. But as I have posted, I do believe this is acceptable to the parks management personel and they now need time to make a plan of action.

So, as soon as I hear anything worthwhile I will post. But for now, lets just be patient and see how it goes. No way can this ever be forced into happening is my opinion.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny's_Trike View Post
    ... But for now, I think we need to let the people at the SP office in Tallahassee have a bit of time to digest this. ...

I do believe this is acceptable to the parks management personel and they now need time to make a plan of action. ...
    for now, lets just be patient and see how it goes. No way can this ever be forced into happening is my opinion.
    I agree whole heartedly! Sunny has been in direct communication with the good folks in Tallahassee on more than one occasion. None of us could have the understanding that he does of how we should best proceed.

Sunny has been gracious enough to step up and take the leadership on this very important issue. I, for one, am ready to folow his lead.

Thank again, Sunny!

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    <<Well, do whatever you think... But jumping ahead of the process may do no more than muddy the waters so to speak. He may be a friend, but if it has not gotten down to his level within this short period of time. And he calls his boss it may make it look like we hammockers think its a DONE DEAL and it by no means is. Just my thoughts..>>

The quote I sent is very clear that Park Small will let you know. Haven't had any reply, so my friend may be traveling. All I asked was to let me know if he did get asked for his input. I specifically haven't mentioned which park he manages to avoid any problems.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Maybe they (Florida state parks) could do what I did and "plant" some telephone poles/ pier piling poles for use for hanging. 3 poles in a triangle would allow 3 hammocks to hang. It cost me about $45 per pole retail for my and I use them in my backyard. I am sure that could get a much better price buying in bulk

I tried 4x4's but they broke.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast