Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH HexFly
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Rings w/Caribiner
    Can anyone provide the content of this regulation in the Florida statues?

Well guys and gals. I am new to the forum. But I have lived in Florida all my life. I just got into the Hammock camping and am very saddened to learn of this law. I sense I will be arrested if I happen to come face to face with a by the book LEO. Hammock camping can in NO WAY be detrimental to the environment as described in the post referring to what the area and trees look like after one or ten hammock dwellers have moved out of the area.

I am a gun owner and I believe that there are those who would attempt to take away my rights to own a firearm. That being said, I feel that restricting me as a life long resident of Florida to utilize a non-destructive piece of camping gear to enjoy in our state parks or anywhere I see fit. This is where I will take a stand. It is very apparent as was said that the concerns were hit with a scattergun rather than a direct hit of a rifle ball. Just don’t hang ANYTHING from a tree and all will be good. That’s a crock of good ole political poop in my book.

Anyone, who has the direction of how to proceed. Just count me in on this issue. I have nothing but time and will help in any capacity I can.

I guess this must be the rule they use to say "No Hammocking Allowed in State Parks as this is all I could find after an hour of searching GOOGLE.
    All plants, animals and park property are protected. The collection, destruction or disturbance of plants, animals or park property is prohibited.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    I received this reply from a general inquiry on hammock camping:

Thank you for your interest in Florida State Parks. Unfortunately, Florida State Parks do not allow anything to be tied to trees so setting up a hammock tied between two trees would not be allowed. This is a rule that applies to all Florida State Parks. We have specified camping area and even in those areas you are not allowed to tie anything to a tree. Our policies are governed by Florida Administrative Code 62D.

In Florida Administrative Code 62D-2.013(4)a it states:

“All plant life, terrestrial, aquatic, and aerial, is the property of the State of Florida. No person shall cut, carve, or damage the bark, or break off limbs or branches or mutilate in any way, or pick the flowers or seeds of any plant or tree. Nor shall any person dig in or otherwise disturb grass areas or in any other way impair the natural condition of any area; nor shall any person place debris or materials of any kind on or about any tree or plant.”
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH HexFly
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Rings w/Caribiner
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post

Thank you for your interest in Florida State Parks. Unfortunately, Florida State Parks do not allow anything to be tied to trees so setting up a hammock tied between two trees would not be allowed. This is a rule that applies to all Florida State Parks. We have specified camping area and even in those areas you are not allowed to tie anything to a tree. Our policies are governed by Florida Administrative Code 62D.

“All plant life, terrestrial, aquatic, and aerial, is the property of the State of Florida. No person shall cut, carve, or damage the bark, or break off limbs or branches or mutilate in any way, or pick the flowers or seeds of any plant or tree. Nor shall any person dig in or otherwise disturb grass areas or in any other way impair the natural condition of any area; nor shall any person place debris or materials of any kind on or about any tree or plant.”
    Buffalo Skipper: If you plan on pursuing this, I am not sure what help I can be since I don’t know the ins and outs of hammocking. But if I can be of any assistance, don’t hesitate to ask. This chaps my butt.

Hammock
    Wildhorn Outfitters 2
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    straps
    I'm pretty sure that most state parks experiences with hammocks initially involved eye-bolts.....
    rule makers re-act rather than act.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7 Leftie + Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Artic KaroStep
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    Seems it's not just State Parks. My favorite place the Everglades National Park has this
    posted:
    Site Occupancy

Only one primary camping unit (motor home, pop-up camper, camper van, etc.) and one secondary unit, (tent) may occupy a campsite at a time. Maximum (8) persons per site. Leave an indication of occupancy at your campsite. Occupancy signs are available at the registration desk. Do not attach anything to the trees or vegetation.

Hammock
    WBBB double 1.0
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jacks Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

hammock hanger

The best place I would begin would be to contact Sue Turner, past long distance hiking chair for the florida trail. Her trail name is hammock hanger. If anybody would have answers she would be a great starting point. In fact I'm concerned. I am heading to florida for 200 miles of the FT. Just purchased a new blackbird for the trip.

[email protected]
    Last edited by Cheesewhiz; 12-14-2010 at 14:33. Reason: contact info

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesewhiz View Post
    The best place I would begin would be to contact Sue Turner, past long distance hiking chair for the florida trail. Her trail name is hammock hanger. If anybody would have answers she would be a great starting point. In fact I'm concerned. I am heading to florida for 200 miles of the FT. Just purchased a new blackbird for the trip.
    Is Sue a member of the forum?
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Is Sue a member of the forum?
    Sometimes.
    She's here for a while then gone. I don't know if she's still hanging around Whiteblaze or not.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH HexFly
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Rings w/Caribiner

Section (4)a could be gotten around as long as NO DAMAGE was done. But in Section (2) they have all the loop holes of a hammock being hung completely covered. I spoke with the head Park Ranger today at Jonathan Dickinson State Park and he pretty much agreed that hammocks hung properly with straps and concern taken to hanging a hammock would not be destructive to the enviroment. But that statue 62D-2.013(2) covers any and all ways that prevent hanging.

(2) Removal or Destruction of Park Property and Resources. No person shall destroy, injure, deface, mar, move, dig, harmfully disturb or remove from any park area, or the waters thereof, any buildings, structures, facilities, historic ruins, equipment, park property, soil, sand, gravel, rocks, stones, minerals, marine plants or animals, artifacts, or other materials. No person shall cut,carve, injure, mutilate, move, displace, or break off any water bottom formation or growth. Nor shall any person possess, break off, or in any way damage any stalactites, stalagmites or other cave formations. No rope, wire, or other contrivance whether permanent or temporary, shall be attached to any natural feature or property within a park.

So, seems like there is an challange for all of us here in Florida and those from anywhere if the want to hang in a State Park or some if not all Federal Parks. From Cannibal's post back in 2007, guess this has been around a long time.

Looks like this statue has been on the books since 12-19-1999
    https://www.flrules.org/gateway/Rule...S&ID=62D-2.013

And if you get cited for such a terrible offense as hanging in a tree to get a good nites rest. Disturbing no one or if careful, not harming a twig. Here is the Criminal Charges and Fines you could face. What a bunch of manure..........
    https://www.flrules.org/Gateway/View...asp?id=7200521
    Last edited by Winchester52; 12-14-2010 at 18:21.

Hammock
    WBBB double 1.0
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jacks Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sent out an email to Sue Turner as well as Chuck Norris, the new long distance chair. Just waiting for response.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast