Hammock
    Interested in a Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    Not yet decided ?
    Insulation
    Pad &sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Not shure yet ?

Question Lets talk fabrics << Newb Needs A Tarp !!

Hello all im new here and im looking to get back into hammock camping. Basicly ive been finding it next to impossible to get comfortable on the ground. And ive hung before and slept like a baby. I could simply go back to using a utilty tarp from wally world and making my own hammock again. But ive already done that. And its time to do this a little more streamline. Ive decided on the double layer traveler w/bugnet from WB. I need a rainfly that will provide adiquite area for cooking and lounging in the southern appalachians in conditions that could be raining cats&dogs for days on end. I would rather carry a few more ounces for a more durable and somewhat flame retardent material . Seeing as i plan on using this as part af a longdistance kit. this tarp would also need to pitch well on treking poles. in case on a long hike i get forced to the ground. I will be researching this. But beleave it never hurts to ask the professionals. Bombproof, somewhat lite, & alround goodtarp. Thanks SAMOSET
    Last edited by samoset; 12-07-2010 at 18:38.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    The JRB 10 x 11 tarp meets all these except for the flame retardant part. I am not sure flame retardant and light go together! Why does it need to be flame retardant, do you plan on using a wood tent stove? Several have successfully used Sil-Nylon for type of shelter. But it isn't flame retardant at all.

Just a few pitching options for the JRB 10 x 11...

Attached Images Attached Images
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Tarp
    Not yet decided ?
    Insulation
    Pad &amp;sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Not shure yet ?

@ rat "why does it need to be flame retardent ?"

I genearally carry a bushbuddy ultra. And Its not that i am at all careless with my stove. its just a peice of mind knowing that a windswept ember isnt going to lead to catostrophic tarp failure three days into a weeklong trek. thanks for the info. Im going to look more into 10x11 tarp right now. Ive used 8x10 and 6x8 alot this tarp sounds quite large but might be what i need thanks again. SAMOSET

Hammock
    Tarp
    Not yet decided ?
    Insulation
    Pad &amp;sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Not shure yet ?

Question JRB 11x10 Vs MLD Super tarp 8x10

Hello again all, im currently working my way threw a process of elimination of tarps. For a fairly long hike this upcoming spring. (Discription of what im looking for above) I really like the pitching options of the JRB 11x10(Thanks Rat) but from the pics and descriptions ive seen this tarp does not have pannel pull outs. Has anyone moded or upon purchase had jrb add them if so at what additional cost. Im also sort of interested in MLD Super tarp at 8x10. its smaller than the JRB and a listed fabric weight of 1.38silnylon vs the 1.1sil of the jrb. Would this make the supertarp more durable than the jrb. A trade off of cat cut for pull outs and a little less coverage . Keep in mind im not set on either one of these tarps. I havent rulled out hex cut tarps either. Im really looking for versitilty and durabilty. Thanks again any and all advice will be conciderd. SAMOSET

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well ....... there are a ton of options out there but I agree .... no flame retardant in light-weight.
    Here is a video I did of the Warbonnet MamaJamba .... mine is in Spinntex but you can get the same thing in silnylon.
    Lots of options ... and panel pulls on this tarp. You can also see my Winter DIY tarp with doors.
    Shug

This is my DIY Winter Tarp
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    1.1 vs. 1.38
    Sam,
    most of the tarps we discuss are made from 1.1 sil nylon...barring cuben and spinn.
    There is some gray area here. The fabric starts its life as 1.1 oz/sq. yd.
    Then it is silicone impregnated, thus giving it 1.38 oz weight (approx)
    Some vendors call it 1.1, some list it as 1.38. But typically it is the same thing.

The next step upwards in weight is poly urethane (PU) coated fabric. Normally a 1.9 oz. fabric and then urethane coated, making it weigh close to 3.0 oz. per yard.

Fire and lightweight fabrics don't get along. Can't do much there for ya. Other than keep the fire away. A small cookstove fire under the tarp has been done plenty. Take care to keep the fire small and contained.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    for adding pullouts to a tarp please look at "grip clips" ; lite weight and adjustable!
    HTHelps, KM

Hammock
    Tarp
    Not yet decided ?
    Insulation
    Pad &amp;sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Not shure yet ?

Question PU Coated ?

First off let me thank everyone for taking the time to help answer some of my questios. Second @Shug i plan on checking out your vids as soon as i get to a CPU with internet access. Unfortunatly all i have now is my prepeaid cellphones internet and its sketchy at best. And third to the question at hand. I imagine that a pu coated tarp at the weight cost. would be much cheaper than some of thease speacialty tarps. But what of terms of durabilty would the extr weight warrent to say the tarp would be a little more abrasion resistant . And would it be any lighter than your standard blue utility tarp wich after many years of using i refuse to put back on my back. I know i have alot of questions im just on a verry tight budget and hate to buy things twice. As always thanks any and all advice will be conciderd. SAMOSET

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES 10x12 catcut
    Insulation
    IX/Clima DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have the kelty noah 9 PU coated tarp.

IMG_1922.jpg

It is not ultralight by any means, but with my hammock it forms a ball the size of a cantaloupe. It is certainly a cheaper option as far as tarps go, but it has a 13' diagonal ridgeline and a 9' square ridgeline. It's also good to hang it asym, in which case you get about a 10' ridgeline.

It works very well, and I know from experience that alcohol stoves don't bother it in the least. I don't know about your bushbuddy.
    Be like Bob

Hammock
    Tarp
    Not yet decided ?
    Insulation
    Pad &amp;sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Not shure yet ?

Thumbs down not the kelty noah 9 :( maybe equinox,campmor 8x10

Once upon a time. I owned a noah tarp. Although the price was right. I never had adiquit coverage on the gruond. Nor could I ever really get the tight pitch. Like i have gotton with even cheap utility 8x10 & 6x8 tarps from wallmart. I also had seem failure along one of the pullout seems. This was not the demise of the tarp. I gave it away to a freind. Who hand sewn and ductapd it back togather. To use witha diy gatherdend that i showd him how to make. << (freind now owns HH asym) I was thinking along the lines of an equinox or campmor Pu 8x10. Though the kelty may work for you. Im sorry but from the first pitch i was never truely impressed with it and i used it a good year atleast with well over a dozen trips both above and on ground. And you probly couldnt payme to put one back in my pack. Id rather go get a 6x8 from wally world for 5bucks and pitch it in anumber of dif ways Thanks anyways but i have already conciderd this option and for me it faild . SAMOSET.

• + New Posts